R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Discouraged MINI owner - list is growing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:08 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SexualChocolate
I haven't really been thinking about the lemon law thing. And it didn't occur to me to write a letter because even though it took a long time to get everything done, it did get done. I just expected a higher quality of service since it is a BMW dealership. The floormats were filthy so that means they never put the white paper on the floor. The seats didn't have any plastic on them either, which they seem to only do on the Beamers. I honestly feel bad writing a letter because I really dont want the service manager, who has been extremely nice, to get the backlash from the letter. I could always give him props in the letter. What do you think?
I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on for the lemon law thing, but you have every right to expect a higher level of service than you received. When I took my Toyota to get the oil changed, they used the paper floor mats and plastic on the seats. That should be common practice at ANY dealership.

And though the service manager was "extremely nice"...what has he done?

Does he know about the filth that his workers left in your car? Is he the one that gave you a worthless car wash coupon? Is he the one that couldn't find your car, forget to fix the freakin' stripes, and order the wrong roof graphic? If he's not the one, he needs to know about all of this insanity and DO something to make up for it!

Yep, I'm still fired up.

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:40 PM
SexualChocolate
|
2nd Gear
Yes you have a point. It seems like they are trying to pump out as many cars as they can to keep their numbers up and not worrying about the final result. Even though all over the dealership there are signs that say they are striving for "5" in customer service. Ironic.

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:48 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
I'll write the letter, for $600 an hour, that is. Should only take me about six hours.
Gee, that's mighty kind of ya, sport!

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:54 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
If it were me, and on your statement about the service manager being a good guy, I would simply call the service manager and tell him what you think. He will appreciate your going to him rather than MINI USA. Sounds like he does care and would appreciate the input on how to improve the operation.

For example, if they don't have those plastic sheets that go over the seats and the paper floor mats, why not? Were they out? Don't they use them? If they do it for the BMWs, what logic is there not to use them on the MINI? My friend takes her Sentra to an independent garage, where $200 in work is a huge drama for her. First thing they do is use the paper floor mats and plastic liner on the seats. I can't imagine it's a cost issue. Heck, if it is, charge the customer $1 more to cover the floor mats and seat cover.

That needs to be fixed. At some service departments I have gone to, the absolutely first thing they do is put floor mats on the floorboard and the plastic "garbage liner" on the seat. Seems odd that they did not do that with your MINI. I suspect it's negligence and not anything else.

Sidenote on the interior: I don't trust dealers on the interior either. My MINI has nice painted surfaces that can easily be scratched by someone using a towel with grit on it to clean up the dash.

Same with goes with the vinyl surfaces. They can do more damage trying to clean it.

Unless they stain something with grease or whatever, I don't want them cleaning my interior either. But that's my OCD coming out. I know where every mark is on my dashboard. There are none and God help any passenger who puts a scratch on my pristine painted surfaces.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-09-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2008 | 07:21 PM
SexualChocolate
|
2nd Gear
I agree with you on that. I guess we both suffer from the same type of OCD. LOL. I will let you know how the letter comes out. But first...I have to detail my car with my new kit from Detailersparadise.com...hope its good.
thanks for all the advice...
the next project will be the roof graphic...trying to find a place that does it regularly and see how much it will be compared to the dealership.

Old 09-09-2008 | 07:25 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
But you bring up a good point. He should send his complaint letter to MINI USA with a CC to the local dealer. Not the other way around.
My comments have been in the spirit of helping the OP, not to be in a debate with you. I've watched a number of folks discuss various problems with their MINIs and post about it on this site since 2002, and believe me, writing the letters is an effective way of creating a paper trail that helps owners when they have a history of issues.

Thanks for your "correction."

Old 09-10-2008 | 06:32 AM
Otra
6th Gear
SC, this is a terrible story. Call and write. Don't let it slide, their behavior is inexcusable.

Old 09-10-2008 | 08:24 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
My comments have been in the spirit of helping the OP, not to be in a debate with you. I've watched a number of folks discuss various problems with their MINIs and post about it on this site since 2002, and believe me, writing the letters is an effective way of creating a paper trail that helps owners when they have a history of issues.

Thanks for your "correction."
We are not debating nor offending each other, are we?

We are discussing with all NAM members who may read our posts and the OP the various ways to approach issues and resolve problems. Part of the benefit of these boards [and public discussion of problem solving] is the value of our posting opinions on what to do and how to go about it. And of course, everyone's comments have a therapeutic benefit to those asking for help, ranting, complaining, or seeking opinions.

To be sure, many readers will agree with your suggestions, some with mine, and a few with neither of our ideas. Sidenote: Where dispute resolution is a profession: who to send a letter to, what the letter should say and when to send the letter are often decided after weeks of inter-office analysis, meetings, discussion and "debate."

In the end, the OP threw a wrench into both of our suggestions when he said the work was done correctly, that he had not been considering the lemon law angle and that the service manager was a really nice guy and did not want to get him in trouble. [Or words similar to those.]

Old 09-10-2008 | 08:35 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
I agree with you on that. I guess we both suffer from the same type of OCD. LOL. I will let you know how the letter comes out. But first...I have to detail my car with my new kit from Detailersparadise.com...hope its good.
thanks for all the advice...
the next project will be the roof graphic...trying to find a place that does it regularly and see how much it will be compared to the dealership.
My used MINI had been sitting on one of those car lots where private parties can display their cars for sale, with the car lot people acting as a middle person simply showing the cars to people who want to test drive them, etc.

On my MINI someone had splashed a coffee [with cream] on the entire dashboard, including the AC climate control and stereo. I suspect it was someone who worked for the lot as they made a half-hearted attempt to wipe some of the crud off.

The seller of the MINI said she could have someone clean it. I said no, absolutely not. I did not want to risk someone using harsh cleaners on the surfaces, etc. But part of the reason was also the pleasure in detailing the car during the weekend coming up after I got the car.

I spent three hours on the dashboard and it was a fast three hours. I enjoyed the time spent working on the dashboard with cotton-tipped paper clips, towels, Q-Tips, cleaners, wax, and protectant. Was that evidence of OCD behavior?

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:39 PM
SexualChocolate
|
2nd Gear
LOl...I know exactly what you mean. I spent wednesday, all day, detailing my car. I used painters tape to tape up all the plastic parts so that the wax would not stain it. That alone took 30 mins. Before that, I claybarred the whole car, washed it again, dried it, taped it up, waxed it, removed the wax, and then took care of all the plastic parts. Then came the interior. The Prima Nero? was pretty good, smelled like bananas. The interior came out pretty nice. Cant wait to get my car cover in the mail, after all that work, i had to leave it outside the fire station near areas of construction. I think tomorrow I will finish the letter.

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:40 PM
SexualChocolate
|
2nd Gear
So just to take a vote, should I send it to MiniUsa first and CC to the dealership or vise versa?

thanks ya'll lol

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:06 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
I would send the letter to the dealership owner, cc to MINIUSA. Get as high up the ladder as you can find names and addresses. As my Grandma used to tell me, Nobodys talk to Nobodys. They should also be emailing you a questionaire about the service. Be honest. They seem to really listen.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:09 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
By the way, do you have anything that has your order for the roof graphic on it? As I understand it, it didn't make it onto your order sheet. Do you have an email confirming or any other paperwork? If so, they should do it for you with a smile. It was their mistake.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:41 PM
SexualChocolate
|
2nd Gear
As a matter of fact, the day that I picked up my car from the dealership, I had asked him to show me the original order sheet and on that sheet was the roof graphic but they never quoted me on the price of the installation. I am at the point with that dealership that I don't even want to take my car back there for anything because they keep messing up the car. When they replaced the bonnet stripes, there were razorlike scratches all over the hood !!!! Thank goodness after waxing it, 99% of them were gone. They also must have put something on the roof because there was this stain that was a pain to get off. I just dont want them to keep adding scratches to the car or who knows what else.
thanks for the help

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:45 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
So just to take a vote, should I send it to MiniUsa first and CC to the dealership or vise versa?

thanks ya'll lol
Well in all my years of dispute resolution I have never opted to send it to the lowest person on the ladder [which the dealer is.]

All your issues indicate a problem with the dealership and I would think complaints like yours have been sent directly to the dealer before. And look what has happened, NOTHING.

From my experience in dealing with franchises, licensors/licensees, the "parent" is always the one to whom you communicate, not the local "child."

Moreover, MINI USA, as the head office, may already be on notice that this dealership is having customer service problems, in addition to who knows what else. "Discipline" needs to be meted out.

Bonus Tip: Your complaint to MINI USA might get you some freebies. I don't see the dealer doing any of that. From the dealer you might be lucky to get an insincere phone call.

One time I wrote a complaint letter to the president of a five-star hotel [Hyatt.] The president wrote me back, expressing grave concern over the issues I wrote about. In addition, he said I could stay at any hotel in the world, for up to three three nights, on him. [About a $1500 value.]

My ex-girlfriend in Los Angeles wrote the American Airlines pres about lousy service and the locals screwing up her reservation. She informed the president that earlier the regional VP promised to get back to her, but he did not.

An AA VP from the head office wrote her back, apologized, and most important, gave her two round trip coach tickets for travel anywhere in the world AA flew. She went with her son to Europe on vacation.

Write MINI USA not the dealer.

Warning: Other's experience may differ, you might only get a free key ring.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:51 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
As a matter of fact, the day that I picked up my car from the dealership, I had asked him to show me the original order sheet and on that sheet was the roof graphic but they never quoted me on the price of the installation. I am at the point with that dealership that I don't even want to take my car back there for anything because they keep messing up the car. When they replaced the bonnet stripes, there were razorlike scratches all over the hood !!!! Thank goodness after waxing it, 99% of them were gone. They also must have put something on the roof because there was this stain that was a pain to get off. I just dont want them to keep adding scratches to the car or who knows what else.
thanks for the help
With this information it sounds to me all the more that your letter should go to MINI USA.

And if there is another dealer I'd start going there rather than ever going back to this one [after you get all the issues resolved.]

MINI USA needs to audit that dealership. If they get enouugh complaints they will "fine" them and maybe some day yank their license.

I know people at the head office would find its performance completely unacceptable.

Old 09-12-2008 | 03:20 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
When they replaced the bonnet stripes, there were razorlike scratches all over the hood !!!! Thank goodness after waxing it, 99% of them were gone. They also must have put something on the roof because there was this stain that was a pain to get off.
This just gets worse as the days go by.

I'd be sending it to MINI USA and cc: the dealership.

Old 09-12-2008 | 03:26 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
When they replaced the bonnet stripes, there were razorlike scratches all over the hood !!!! ....
I suspect what happened is that whoever was working on the stripes was wearing a jacket with a metal zipper or had a belt buckle exposed.

When hovering over the hood the metal came in contact with the paint = scratches.

Even I know to be careful when working on my car [e.g., washing it] to not have any metal exposed that might scratch the MINI's paint.

Just more evidence of a lack of training and paying attention to detail.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-14-2008 at 12:22 AM.