R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:00 AM
IzzyG
|
6th Gear
Clubman Quirks

I searched the forums and it seems no one has posted a thread about Clubman quirks yet. So for to-be owners and interested parties out there, could current Clubman owners list their experiences with the Clubman's undesirable quirks?

If you don't mind, explain if the quirk is common with your batch or with all Clubman's. I hope the list would help people figure out if the con's can be lived with prior to purchasing one.

Old 09-01-2008 | 04:21 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
I am one of a few people that have been having their S's clear 3rd brake light leak. But since it was replaced, NO issues.

Old 09-01-2008 | 05:01 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Here is one thread on this subject. and there are others.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151696

Old 09-01-2008 | 05:11 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Undesirable quirks? The ridiculous ride height it's like an SUV the way it comes from the factory. Looks really bad.

I am one of a few people that have been having their S's clear 3rd brake light leak. But since it was replaced, NO issues.
Yah, my red one didn't leak. Traded a red one for a white one with another NAM member and received a white one which clearly had a leak in it. I wonder why the red ones aren't leaking and the white ones are?

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:52 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
I have not figured out a way to turn off the seatbelt "dong" (chime). This is not an issue normally, as the seat belts are used. However, if my wife (passenger seat) temporarilty undoes the belt to get situated, reach down, reach to the back seat, etc., the damn dong starts going off & will not shut up until she re-fastens the belt. Just an irriation, not a biggie.

Another quirk used to be the roof line. Often, it was hard to see overhead stop lights at the intersection. However, my MA sent me a simple plastic fresnel lens from a company called Insight. Now I can see the lights without a problem!

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:07 PM
obieseven
1st Gear
My driver-side seatbelt constantly gets caught-up between the (lounge leather) seat and the door. It is a real pain to reach back and have to fight with it.

Any tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:24 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by obieseven
My driver-side seatbelt constantly gets caught-up between the (lounge leather) seat and the door. It is a real pain to reach back and have to fight with it.

Any tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated.
Slide the little plastic guide "up" so that the buckle stays up "higher" (where the seat is naturally a little narrower)...

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:59 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
One thing I wish they change for future owners is the amount of resistance the door exhibits at each natural stopping point. For instance, if I park on an incline and open the door fully, the door will not stay at the open position. It’ll come slamming back down. This also happens during heavy winds. I’ve been slammed in the back on more than one occasion because of this. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-02-2008 | 01:05 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by corningjeff
I have not figured out a way to turn off the seatbelt "dong" (chime). This is not an issue normally, as the seat belts are used. However, if my wife (passenger seat) temporarilty undoes the belt to get situated, reach down, reach to the back seat, etc., the damn dong starts going off & will not shut up until she re-fastens the belt. Just an irriation, not a biggie.

Another quirk used to be the roof line. Often, it was hard to see overhead stop lights at the intersection. However, my MA sent me a simple plastic fresnel lens from a company called Insight. Now I can see the lights without a problem!
Our's did that for a month...then gave up. Either I inadvertently reset it or it learned to quiet down on it's own. (I do think it can be set...I remember seeing something while surfing the computer menu)

Old 09-02-2008 | 01:15 PM
DUCTTAPE
3rd Gear

Sample?!? Mine cost $16 bucks each, and I bought two (one for each Clubman)

Of course, I just bought 14 fender clips at the parts window to day and it was $20. I must have sucker written on my forehead

d

Old 09-02-2008 | 01:46 PM
geoffv
3rd Gear
got the same problem, where can you buy the product your MA sent you?

Old 09-02-2008 | 02:52 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Right here: http://www.lightinsight.com/ I've had the same one since I bought my first MINI.

Old 09-02-2008 | 03:14 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
You may not be able to turn the gong off completely but you can set its volume in the radio controls.

Old 09-02-2008 | 06:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
You may not be able to turn the gong off completely but you can set its volume in the radio controls.
This is very true. there is not way to turn it off, and there is now way to just disconnect it as it is part of the radio

Old 09-03-2008 | 12:30 PM
bugeye1031
This is a BMW thing that seems to have gotten worse over the years. i never noticed it until I got a 2003 330, then in our R50, and now in my wife's R56. The door brakes on my old e12 ('79 528i) worked like a charm, but all the recent cars seem to want to take a bite out of you.

Originally Posted by Parkerton
One thing I wish they change for future owners is the amount of resistance the door exhibits at each natural stopping point. For instance, if I park on an incline and open the door fully, the door will not stay at the open position. It’ll come slamming back down. This also happens during heavy winds. I’ve been slammed in the back on more than one occasion because of this. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-03-2008 | 12:55 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
Yes, the detents are very shallow and need improvement.

Terry

Old 09-03-2008 | 01:18 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Agreed.

Old 09-03-2008 | 06:36 PM
obieseven
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
Slide the little plastic guide "up" so that the buckle stays up "higher" (where the seat is naturally a little narrower)...
bentyyc,

"Duh" on me. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:57 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Right here: http://www.lightinsight.com/ I've had the same one since I bought my first MINI.
Thanks Otra, I had screwed-up the name!

Regarding the dong, I have it's volume turned as low as possible, but it still is irritating. Again, not a big deal, just a quirk. If I only knew which wire to snip!

Old 09-04-2008 | 07:11 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by obieseven
bentyyc,

"Duh" on me. Thanks for the tip!!!
No problem obieseven - I had to learn it from someone else, myself...

Old 09-04-2008 | 07:19 AM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
Its not just a Clubman issue, but I really hate the window motors. I have an ongoing battle to get the window where I want it. I like 1-2" down, it refuses, it must go to 4-6" down. Ugh.

Old 09-04-2008 | 07:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Thanks Otra, I had screwed-up the name!

Regarding the dong, I have it's volume turned as low as possible, but it still is irritating. Again, not a big deal, just a quirk. If I only knew which wire to snip!
There is not one wire to cut. It is part of the computer system of the car and the dong in caused by a number of items in the car. The computer just sends a signal to the computer to make the radio output the DONG and thus there is not way to really disable it.

Old 09-04-2008 | 07:54 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Yep, I guess the only way to eliminate the dong issue is to tell my wife to stay buckled or stay home!

Old 09-04-2008 | 10:42 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Yep, I guess the only way to eliminate the dong issue is to tell my wife to stay buckled or stay home!
I would say "stay home" but if she is anything like my girlfriend then there is more joy in having her along for the ride.

Just have her lift herself off the seat when not buckled in, then you won't here the sound.

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:10 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I would say "stay home" but if she is anything like my girlfriend then there is more joy in having her along for the ride.

Just have her lift herself off the seat when not buckled in, then you won't here the sound.
O.K. schatzy, was your girlfriend looking over your shoulder when you wrote this?? If not, you are a good man and she should allow you to use this as a "Get out of jail free" card the next time you screw-up!

We did figure out the trick about lifting off the seat, however it is not a position that can be maintained for long. Maybe I should invest in some barbells for her to strenghen her upper body.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Quirks