R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Another armrest "thing"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another armrest "thing"

Ok.

So, I know I'm a bit off and all, but I'm completely stumped about this-

Does the armrest open?

If so, where is the "magic button"??

I've heard comments on how the storage is good for nothing in there, but how the heck do I get to it??

Or, did I imagine those comments?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The top slides backwards. In my experience, once you get it open it will slide open any time you decide to rest your elbow on it.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Ahh, it slides!! The one thing I didn't try.

Thanks

Now I have to make sure I didn't break the sliding mechanism with all the pulling, prying and yanking I was doing earlier.

Oops.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
dkamp
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is yours Level or does the front drop?
On mine the Front is at least 1 to 1.5 inches lower than the rear.
just wondering if it was supposed to be that way.
If not can it be adjusted?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
altoids & a pen fit in there just fine.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Hold my phone, which is I believe the purpose of it other than to rest your arm on. If you have the convenience pkg., there is a way you can hook up your phone in there. Have not done that yet.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ART ED
Hold my phone, which is I believe the purpose of it other than to rest your arm on. If you have the convenience pkg., there is a way you can hook up your phone in there. Have not done that yet.
There are phone cradles that fit inside the armrest to allow a phone to be powered and in some cases connected to the external antenna. Cradles run around 130.00 to 170.00.

The problem i have found with this is that the phone gets to hot and shuts down if the cover is closed.

Originally Posted by proximal
The top slides backwards. In my experience, once you get it open it will slide open any time you decide to rest your elbow on it.
I have had mine for over three months now and open/close it at least daily and have no problem with it staying shut. it still take a fair amount of pressure to get it to open. Is it possible that something is broken on yours.

Originally Posted by dkamp
Is yours Level or does the front drop?
On mine the Front is at least 1 to 1.5 inches lower than the rear.
just wondering if it was supposed to be that way.
If not can it be adjusted?
Mine sits level, and i see no way of adjusting it with out taking the whole thing apart. Mine will push done about 1/2" if i rest my arm on it though. it does not feel very strong or stable.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Mine will push done about 1/2" if i rest my arm on it though. it does not feel very strong or stable.

Oh I can't wait 'til my kids stand on it as they climb around the interior when the new Clubbie shows up!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
You can find complaints about the armrest all over this forum, but I wouldn't be without it (unless I had a manual -- I can see where it might inhibit spirited shifting). I'm driving a courtesy car HT without the armrest today while the dealer replaces the shifter on my MINI (the amber icon thing -- a pretty common problem) and it is odd not having anywhere to rest my right arm.

Oh, and mine doesn't open on its own either.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, the armrest isn't for everyone. My husband loves it, but I'm too short to make use of it because it has to sit so far back in the cockpit to avoid blocking the e-brake and I have to sit so far forward to be able to depress the brake pedal to the floor.

At 5'3", I can't even use the armrest as an armrest. The very front of the armrest brushes up against my elbow when I'm driving. I can't lean my arm on it. It's just not an option that works for every driver and wasn't designed with every driver in mind.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Alphawave
Won't do w/o mine..it's small enough to forego putting your entire weight on it (unlike the laptop armrest in my Dodge truck, giving you 'armrest elbow' ...wear white shorts and say it's 'tennis elbow'!). Mine hold my gum (Extra) and my nifty dial air pressure gauge for my weekly tire checks. Slide door stays shut for me, and opens easily when I want it to.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The OEM "accessory" one is much better, IMHO... more sturdy, better height, more storage capacity, flip top doesn't slide open when you hit it with your elbow...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
I have to agree with Paul - I love my "euro" arm rest - simple to install. Ample storage. Stays shut. If I decide I don't want it its simple to remove.

Case closed.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
The OEM "accessory" one is much better, IMHO... more sturdy, better height, more storage capacity, flip top doesn't slide open when you hit it with your elbow...

But can it put my phone cradle in it and power my phone and connect to the external phone antenna. I have not seen one so i am asking if this is possible. I can't deal with my phone needing a charger cord.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
nope - not phone cradle compatible - just an armrest. I prefer my phone mounted where I can see it anyway

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
But can it put my phone cradle in it and power my phone and connect to the external phone antenna. I have not seen one so i am asking if this is possible. I can't deal with my phone needing a charger cord.
does your phone really loose charge in a matter of hours? i charge mine overnight and throw it in the center cubby. it lasts all day just fine...

just another perspective...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
I have the standard armrest and found it to be too hard and low so bought a cover from Redline (a NAM vendor) and LOVE it! I got the extra padded one & it's much more comfortable. (See my gallery)
Mine also opens a little too easily

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by hardingsan
does your phone really loose charge in a matter of hours? i charge mine overnight and throw it in the center cubby. it lasts all day just fine...

just another perspective...
With three offices, a house and a mobile office in the car I never know where the AC charger is. So the only way the phone ever gets charged is in the car. And i just hate wires hanging around in the car, especially around the shifter and other buttons.

One of these days i have to get my GPS mounted properly as well so there are no cords for that hanging around either. But for that I am going to have to make a custom mounting bracket and an extended power cord.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio

Mine does not slige open at all

Old 09-06-2008, 04:56 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I don't have a cradle and I leave my phone in there 24-7 and it always works fine. I don't understand about it getting hot. I usually leave it off anyway. I never talk on the phone while driving. Too distracting.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ART ED
I don't have a cradle and I leave my phone in there 24-7 and it always works fine. I don't understand about it getting hot. I usually leave it off anyway. I never talk on the phone while driving. Too distracting.
I use it with the cradle and that means it is charging. Check the back of your phone where the battery is sometime after it has been on the charger for a while you will find that the battery cover is warm. Well in the enclosed space the heat from that builds up and the phone overheats.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
I love my armrest, use it constantly. It's the perfect height and location for me, and I'm only 5' 3". I keep Altoids and gum in there.

I don't have the charger thing for my phone. I just keep that in my purse and the Bluetooth picks it up. I gotta say, the armrest, iPod and Bluetooth are 3 of my very favorite features of Lady G.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Will have to check out an armrest for the future. Right now I just use my leather bag as one.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
I love my armrest, use it constantly. It's the perfect height and location for me, and I'm only 5' 3".
Maybe I just have really short legs!? LOL!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
minisp
Neutral
Originally Posted by thulewx
I have the standard armrest and found it to be too hard and low so bought a cover from Redline (a NAM vendor) and LOVE it! I got the extra padded one & it's much more comfortable. (See my gallery)
Mine also opens a little too easily

I like the padded armrest (and you car). I looked at the Redline website. Can you tell me how it installed (Did the installation involve gluing?). Do you think that the way the armrest installed affects the cover opening. I have the Pac Blue color line, and my cover closes and stays shut now.

Would you recommend the extra padding 1 1/8th ( I to have the 6 spd manual any interference shifting?) or would the 6/8ths be a better fit?

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: R55 Another armrest "thing"