R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 We are about to be "outsized"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the overhead shot, the front driver door is actually longer than the front passenger door. Talk about asymetrical. I personally love the uniqueness of it all.

As for the rear door, I personally see it as SAFER than the side swinging doors you see on cars like the Rav4. Before I ever thought about the Clubman, I was seriously considering the Rav4, but the main thing that held me back, was this chilling thought that one day me or my wife would be in the back loading stuff at Target when along comes some car driving wrecklessly and clipping the side swinging door which would in turn, slam right into you causing serious injury. With the crossman's rear door design, this would not happen since the door swings to the side and not out into parking lot traffic. A flip up rear door would also be safer.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
One question, will there be a JCW version?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Bentyyc, that is exactly what I'm talking about. 4 real doors, raised ride height, roof rails, and a skid plate. It will be a small version of an Infiniti EX/FX but look and drive like a MINI. Can't wait!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
looking at the gallery of pictures i like the sketches more. perhaps after looking at it fora 2 days it has also started growing on me but i just could not afford a 40k car.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
I was originally trying to wait for the "Crossman" to come out. I have watched the developments of the MINI from the 2002 release. The MCS really interested me, then the MCCS came out and I started to get very interested. When the "Crossman" was first rumored/spied I started to salivate. However, I couldn't wait for another year or more. I had to have my MINI and the MCCS meets all of my needs without being AWD or 4WD. (I have a GMC Envoy to meet that need).

I know that this is extremely prejudicial, but for those of you who compare any MINI to a Flex - I am truly saddened.

I have had the opportunity to see a 'Chocolate' Flex on a regular basis. It looks like a stretched, lowered Explorer (which is from what it was derived), has a typically bland Ford interior and MOST IMPORTANTY it is a Ford. (after 40 years of driving, I have never owned a vehicle from an American manufacturer.)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djmcgill
I have had the opportunity to see a 'Chocolate' Flex on a regular basis. It looks like a stretched, lowered Explorer (which is from what it was derived), has a typically bland Ford interior and MOST IMPORTANTY it is a Ford. (after 40 years of driving, I have never owned a vehicle from an American manufacturer.)
Cheers.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I'm hoping to buy a smaller MINI at some point:

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Sign me up for this 98 hp rocket.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
If it looks more like this first rendering, I'm down with it:

+1
while I like the concept, I do not like the design at all. The nose is ugly, if they keep it to the styling Lady G posted, it could be pretty cool.
The sliding doors is a very cool concept.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
I'm hoping to buy a smaller MINI at some point:
That is one small MINI! It makes a Smart Car look roomy.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
I agree with the mean look. I was thinking "psycho clown" when I saw that head-on pic!
Hey Lady G... LET'S PARTY IN MY MINI...

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-12-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

First the Clubman and now this thing. What else will MINI do to besmearch the MINI name ??? A MINI Dump Truck ? A MINI Box Truck ?

And in case you haven't heard up there at MINI HQ, the SUV is losing popularity. Bad timing, to boot.

Again... Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:24 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
If MINI made a bus and a motorcycle line, I will be first in line. CR, you appear to be a MINI/Mini purest but you already know the Clubman is a real model from back in the day. There are Mini panel vans and Mini trucks. I don't see MINI acting on those ideas if they go about the best way. I won't get into what "best" means.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Wow... it took three hours for someone to call me out by name. I was expecting 20 minutes.

Yeah, well... if I were a Mini owner back in the 70s, I'd not have liked the classic Clubman either.

And given we all have given some money to MINI, I think we all can voice our opinions of their Corportate decisions. So... Booooooooooooooooooooooooo !

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
LOL....I rest my case.

Originally Posted by MichaelSF

Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB

Yeah, well... if I were a Mini owner back in the 70s, I'd not have liked the classic Clubman either.
So...because you don't like the model personally (even back in the 70's), you consider it "besmirching the name" despite the fact that the clubman model (as well as trucks and mokes) was/were included in the original mini family? That's funny It must be cool thinking that everything balances on your own personal opinion

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
So...because you don't like the model personally (even back in the 70's), you consider it "besmirching the name" despite the fact that the clubman model (as well as trucks and mokes) was/were included in the original mini family? That's funny It must be cool thinking that everything balances on your own personal opinion
I was specifically talking about this SUV f'in with the MINI brand. Read my first post again, and I think you'll that's the case.

Again, I'm as entitled to voicing an opinion as you are. And if you don't like my opinion, you're entitled to tell me so.

Looks like we have nothing more to say. And I like how you hide your snide remarks behind emoticons. Cute.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
And I like how you hide your snide remarks behind emoticons. Cute.
Nothing snide here....honestly joking around with you. I used the emoticons so you wouldn't take it too seriously. All in fun

Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Nothing snide here....honestly joking around with you. I used the emoticons so you wouldn't take it too seriously. All in fun
Yeah, your words were not meant to be fun, nice back tracking though.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Yeah, your words were not meant to be fun, nice back tracking though.
I think you're taking internet posts a little too seriously. I was kidding around....chill.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
No biggie... Lord knows I dish out my own snide remarks from time to time.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF

He's scaring me!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I was just kidding on the bus and motorcycle line. Also, a guy in my MINI/Mini club said he would like to have a MINI truck for what that's worth.

CR, the "S" in the SUV designation the last time I checked was for "sport". I'm pretty sure BMW can pull this vehicle off. Like I have said, it needs to handle like a MINI but be able to cruise through a little mud/snow/a little rain, and be able to drive over a regular height curb. Oh, 4-real doors also and not just an AWD Clubman. If it has to have those weird sliding doors, so be it.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Wow... it took three hours for someone to call me out by name. I was expecting 20 minutes.

And given we all have given some money to MINI, I think we all can voice our opinions of their Corportate decisions. So... Booooooooooooooooooooooooo !
So you simply posted to get a reaction. That's mature.

I personally don't see the point of the regular MINI. It should either be a two seater or they should only make a convertible. Preferably a hard top convertible that I guess would have no trunk.

The Clubman is here to stay and has boosted MINIs sales tremendously. In 5 years, the regular Cooper might be the rare sight and the Clubman will be everywhere.

But that's ok, you can still be driving your old MINI will the cute pull my pulley sticker.

:hidingbehindmyemoticons: