R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 We are about to be "outsized"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are about to be "outsized"

info on new crossover

looks pretty damn cool, but based on current mini cooper/clubman prices, optioned out would be close to $40,000

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
It does look good.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does look good, I agree but... it looks MEAN!

I've never seen such angry eyes on a MINI before... I love the interior styling concept, though I suspect the center stack will not look anything like that when the "Crossman" does go into production. Also, I think that MINI will redesign the front end to make it look less angry...

Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 AM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
Bad idea. SUVs are not what mini is about. We drive minis BECAUSE we don't want to drive SUVs. Lets not let the brand image become confused or try to be all things to all people.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
It's still too concept-ish for me to tell. I liked the earlier released pics better.

I agree with the mean look. I was thinking "psycho clown" when I saw that head-on pic!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
It's still too concept-ish for me to tell. I liked the earlier released pics better.

I agree with the mean look. I was thinking "psycho clown" when I saw that head-on pic!
"psycho clown" is dead on!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
I was thinking "psycho clown" when I saw that head-on pic!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
I like my current interior. That one is not unlike this pedal car I had as a kid.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Alphawave
Shoulda stuck with the barn doors in back...now that I'm used to them, a large swinging door seems physically complicated and even dangerous. Styling needs to be toned down (less 'fishy'), and more elegant, much like the first pics of the MINISUV.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
What's with the world globe in the center of the dash? I hope this is an early concept and the designers realize how stupid this thing looks. The beauty of Mini is Mini. There goes the neighborhood! Dan

Last edited by danny 1940; 09-10-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
If I wanted an SUV I wouldn't be driving a MINI. I am already eyeing the Ford Flex for my wife, which is a MINI that is STRETCHED. That's what I want, not jacked up and bloated and consequently overpriced.

Anyone driven or been inside a Flex btw?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I am already eyeing the Ford Flex for my wife, which is a MINI that is STRETCHED.
Anyone driven or been inside a Flex btw?
I am also in the market for a 7-8 passenger vehicle. I have not test driven one, but last week I stopped by the ford dealer to look at the Flex. On the inside its very bland, not too sure I like it anymore now that I have seen the interior. We will also be looking at the "lamda" platforms by GM, which is the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook/Traverse etc... What I really like, but have yet to look in is the Audi Q7, those look killer going down the road.. BTW the Flex looks like my scion xB enlarged...

Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Joep
6th Gear
I wasn't going to comment on the concept car because it's a concept and at first I wasn't thrilled with the concept clubman. I had to see it in person to really appreciate it. Saying that, the first time I saw the crossover concept I said it was a minature infiniti fx35. I really don't like that, MINIs should be unique, but that's my .02.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I am already eyeing the Ford Flex for my wife, which is a MINI that is STRETCHED.
My wife saw the a FLEX commercial and said to me that it's the love child of an Element and MINI. I almost fell off my chair because I've had/have both so it was pretty funny.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
I am also in the market for a 7-8 passenger vehicle. I have not test driven one, but last week I stopped by the ford dealer to look at the Flex. On the inside its very bland, not too sure I like it anymore now that I have seen the interior. We will also be looking at the "lamda" platforms by GM, which is the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook/Traverse etc... What I really like, but have yet to look in is the Audi Q7, those look killer going down the road.. BTW the Flex looks like my scion xB enlarged...
Good choices.

If I (in that small chance) didn't like the MINI after I actually got to drive it, the other cars I was looking at were the Buick Enclave and the Audi Q7. My first choice was the Q7, but, since I was probably going to pay cash for it, I didn't like the dent... no... gaping hole it was going to put in my account. So I was beginning to lean more toward the Enclave.

Good thing I loved the MINI, lol.

BTW, I saw the Flex for the first time yesterday. First thing I said to my husband was, "That looks like a Scion on steroids".

Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Countryclubber
1st Gear
I like it, but I don't know if it would be as fun to drive. Would it be a mini still if it wasn't zippy. The funnest thing about Minis to me are their ability to zip around town and their overall agility. I wonder if the crossover will still have that. I guess we'll have to wait until we can test drive one!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
VW should never had made buses and Porsche should never had made Cayennes and AMC should never had made Pacers and Matadors and everything else they made.... The list can go on. I will be first in line if the AWD MINI had 4-doors and is just not a raised AWD Clubman. I like the overall quality and medium status level BMW has brought to MINI. I'm sure the MINI SAV/Crossman will make most MINI enthusiasts happy, especially if it has 4 "real" doors.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roscoenj
Bad idea. SUVs are not what mini is about. We drive minis BECAUSE we don't want to drive SUVs. Lets not let the brand image become confused or try to be all things to all people.
Speak for yourself! I bought a performance car not an econobox! I don't NEED a supercharger but I have one because I wanted one. I would be interested in an SAV if properly done.

Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
VW should never had made buses and Porsche should never had made Cayennes and AMC should never had made Pacers and Matadors and everything else they made.... The list can go on. I will be first in line if the AWD MINI had 4-doors and is just not a raised AWD Clubman. I like the overall quality and medium status level BMW has brought to MINI. I'm sure the MINI SAV/Crossman will make most MINI enthusiasts happy, especially if it has 4 "real" doors.
I am exactly opposite, I am ONLY interested if it is a jacked up AWD clubman with 4 doors....That concept is TERRIBLE

Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
I don't have a problem with MINI expanding beyond the traditional MINI...afterall, the MINI that came out in 2002 which I think all of us "purists" are stating is the true MINI is in fact, HUGE compared to the TRUE true MINI.

I think as long as MINI puts out vehicles that are truly mini and fun to drive in the market segment they enter, they can still stay true to their brand. For example, the smallest car, the smallest wagon, the smallest SAV, etc.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
blagh blagh blagh

sorry for barfing.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
dissapointing , basicly x1 and a clubman on steroids. although it will be a hot item in th US. i guess i am more old fashioned in the mini cars thats why the brand name is what it is but i guess in todays market one need to be not mini only.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
I don't have a problem with MINI expanding beyond the traditional MINI...afterall, the MINI that came out in 2002 which I think all of us "purists" are stating is the true MINI is in fact, HUGE compared to the TRUE true MINI.

I think as long as MINI puts out vehicles that are truly mini and fun to drive in the market segment they enter, they can still stay true to their brand. For example, the smallest car, the smallest wagon, the smallest SAV, etc.
**applause**

Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm

I disagree. The Cayenne enabled Porsche to make money which in turn they reinvest in their cars. Apple made an iPhone to make a ton of coin which in turn keeps the awesome computers coming. It's what companies do. I remember Michael Dell saying Apple should go out of business in 1997 and now look at them, even Microsoft is fearing them.

The Cayenne is actually a pretty neat SUV to boot. It can haul 5 people and go 150 mph.

So if the MINI SAV or SUV makes MINI/BMW money which they then use to continue making Clubmans and Coopers, then great.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Wampa, I'm right there with you. The ones out there saying they want MINI's to stay mini, I'm right there with them also. That doesn't mean MINI can't make mini sized AWD stationwagons to compete with Volvos, Suburu, and the like. Playing around in the high country, it appears Suburu is the vehicle of choice so it would be neato to see MINI taking a little of the pie.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
minimarine
2nd Gear
Not for me, but what the heck...

Personally, I’m not a fan of the Ute, and I think it betrays the brand - but all that aside, it does have some interesting design ideas. It will be a Mini, but I don't think it will ever really be a Mini. How do 911 owners view Cayennes? I doubt they think of them as “real” Porsches. The same will be with the x-over, but if they help the company’s bottom line and bring more dealerships - more power to them.

Hopefully Mini will remain true to their heritage of fun driving with great economy with this little beast - but I’m a little worried too many compromises will be made. I’m not sure why people who want an SUV would think of Mini, but evidently there are people who want a Harley Davidson pickup truck, so who knows?!

One benefit I see from a Mini x-over is that it wil be the big one and might stifle attempts to make all the other Minis bigger (as is the trend with every other car being made these days). Let it soak up all the bloat, and keep the coupe/clubbie small and fun!