R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 I finally got to test drive a Clubman yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008 | 07:46 AM
Casey Jones
|
3rd Gear
I finally got to test drive a Clubman yesterday.

After chatting with a few members here I got referrals on a couple MA's at my local dealership. (which only took 38 minutes to get too~ ) I had called a couple times and asked to be called when they got a Clubman I could drive. So, yesterday after dropping my "kindy kid" off at school, the "lil' kid" and myself drove down. I parked out in the lot away from the cars, so that I could walk by them all, to check out the wheels, and the colors before heading inside. I had already put the baby leash on Violet, because she's been known to BOLT at the first chance. She was so taken with all the Mini Coopers that she never once even tried to run away. (Mini love starts early) When we went inside the dealership Violet screamed! "Look momma! A Mini for ME~!" they had one of the little ride on mini toys on a block inside.

My MA was awesome. super nice, and helpful. it was such a great experience compared to the last one I had.

I test drove a Laser Blue and silver Clubman S automatic, with cloth interior and the conv. package.

Our Britax car seat installed in less than a minute, it fit nicely, and I was happy to see that I could actually almost stand up inside the car while strapping Violet into the seat. (something I do all the time in the Expedition). I really wish I could have driven a manual transmission. Just to see the difference. The auto shifted nicely. It was smooth, and had plenty of get up and go. I'm for sure not getting the arm rest, as the only thing I can see happening to it, would be Violet using it as a launching spring board to the drivers seat. Which BTW, she absolutely loved. She just sat there giggling, and checking out all the switches, and the steering wheel.

The MA let Vi hold the key when we were done, as she was trying to explain the conv. package, Violet opened the locked car, and hopped in. The MA said, "how'd she know how to do that?" I said, "she's a genius."
I think the idea of having the button on the handle is cool. But I can't pay that much extra for it.

i decided after seeing them up close that I want the S-winders instead of the web spokes. Purely for ease of cleaning them. I love the look of the web spokes, but all those little areas to get into to clean. I just don't think I'll make the effort to clean them as well as they should be. I'm lazy, and I have 2 small kids. I'll be doing good to keep the car clean, much less detail the rims. I'm pretty much settled on the Astro Black, but I know that it will show dirt more than any other color. SO, I hope my hubby won't mind washing it for me

now, for the interior. I have a question. the MA suggested a package that is offered, Car care. I think it's interior and exterior stain guard. She mentioned that it's full coverage for any stain or blemish on the interior, seats, dash, door, and paint (acid rain, bird poop, what ever). Having children, and being a lazy person, it sounds like a no brainer to me.

Do any of you have this on your Mini?

After seeing the foot prints on the seats (they were there before we got in) yesterday, I think for sure, I want it. I'm just not sure about the seats. I thought I wanted cloth, because I was going to just get some seat covers, but part of me thinks that will look sloppy. I don't want to add the expense of leather. Anyone have the leatherette, and not like it? The MA said that it's pretty much just like the leather. Just, not really leather.

Oh and I really liked the checkered flag interior accents. it looked so crisp, and fun.

I had planned on putting racing stripes from bonnet over the roof, to the boot. but after finding out that this would cost an additional several hundred bucks for install, I decided that I'd just order it with out them, and hopefully add them at a later date.

So, thank you to Lady G, Dustin says hello! (he was busy, but I got to speak with him, and told him that you referred him) He put a movie on for Violet, and they shared some Honey Bee cookies and Thank you to OrangeCrush, for referring Aimee. She was really nice. and I look forward to working with her. And lastly, thank you to Tasomini, Dana wasn't there yesterday. But I appreciate you all taking the time to give me some pointers and referring your MA's.

now, can someone fast forward time to Christmas? so I can finally go order my car????? PLEASE?

Last edited by Casey Jones; 09-11-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: changed Devin to Dustin
Old 09-11-2008 | 08:12 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fertile-turtle
My MA was awesome. super nice, and helpful. it was such a great experience compared to the last one I had.
So glad to hear it! Awesome folks over there. Too bad Dustin was busy. He's a dollbaby!

Wish I could help to on the time warp to December, UGH! Usually this time of year flys by and we are left thinking..."how did it already get to be Christmas?" Here's hoping that happens for you to make the wait less dreadful!

Of course, if you can drive stick, you're welcome to come up the mountain and get your fix on Lady G!

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:21 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
fertile-turtle -- if you were referred, can both parties (the refer-er and refer-ee) get something out of it? Dealer extras (like stripes!), accessories, or SOMEthing? (I've heard that on other threads.) At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I like my leatherette. It wears well, and i have two dogs, so....

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:43 AM
Casey Jones
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
So glad to hear it! Awesome folks over there. Too bad Dustin was busy. He's a dollbaby!

Of course, if you can drive stick, you're welcome to come up the mountain and get your fix on Lady G!
Dustin! sorry, I called him Devin. (my neighbor's son is Devin, durh) he was so nice. and yes, a dollbaby I agree. thank you for the offer to take Lady G out for a spin. so nice of you~

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
fertile-turtle -- if you were referred, can both parties (the refer-er and refer-ee) get something out of it? Dealer extras (like stripes!), accessories, or SOMEthing? (I've heard that on other threads.) At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I like my leatherette. It wears well, and i have two dogs, so....
I have no idea if I could get something out of being referred, other than a pleasant experience. but you're right, it can't hurt to ask. I hope my MA s very nice to Mark, as he has bought a couple Mini's from them, and I believe he's sent a few people to them as well. Good to hear that you like the leatherette. I think that I will go with it. I just worry that the cloth, would end up looking ratty, as my kids are just.. well.. KIDS.

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:42 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I forgot to add: leatherette = cleans up well, too! I'm a convert now, no matter what vehicle I get (which, I'll never be without a MINI again, so....)

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:46 AM
jvandewark
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fertile-turtle
I'm just not sure about the seats. I thought I wanted cloth, because I was going to just get some seat covers, but part of me thinks that will look sloppy. I don't want to add the expense of leather. Anyone have the leatherette, and not like it?
Thank you to OrangeCrush, for referring Aimee. She was really nice, and I look forward to working with her.
I'm satisfied with leatherette. It doesn't breathe well though, so getting in after a hot summer day in the parking lot at work, you sweat and your clothes stick to you. I think the perforated leather in my former Camry SE was a little more comfortable under the same circumstances. I can't say just how the MINI leather stacks up against leatherette.

And I agree, Aimee is a pleasure to work with.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2008 | 10:49 AM
Otra
6th Gear
That "car care" offer sounds like one of those dealer incentive options - meaning that it's something that they must make money from. Never heard of it, thankfully... Don't mean to sound so jaded but it sounds like a money maker for them more than anything else.

Go for leatherette - it's incredibly easy to clean! Yes, leather is lovely but with small children and the stuff of life...

Great that you finally got to drive one!

Old 09-11-2008 | 10:53 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Congrats on the test drive and the order! I wish I could help about the Car Care package but I know nothing about this. My MA is good about not overselling, but still making good suggestions and never made mention of this. My instinct says it's not necessary, but perhaps others with more direct experience with it will chime in...

I too wish we could fast forward the clock to Christmas as that will mean that hopefully by then I've been motoring in my Clubman for a month : ). Happy waiting, you're certainly not alone!

Old 09-11-2008 | 11:14 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
That "car care" offer sounds like one of those dealer incentive options - meaning that it's something that they must make money from. Never heard of it, thankfully... Don't mean to sound so jaded but it sounds like a money maker for them more than anything else.
I forgot to chime in on this.

This "package" was forced on me as MANDATORY at the first dealership I went to. The package was over $800, and I was told that the sales manager would not remove it from my invoice. I told them what I thought of it, and proceeded to the next dealer who was more than happy to take my money minus the "paint and fabric protection". (WTH did I need fabric protection on a leather interior for? whatever...)

Old 09-11-2008 | 11:16 AM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
I don't know about the Car Care for sure but it sounds like the same thing I got - PermaPlate. Brecht Mini "requires" it on all the cars they sell (though I've heard of people getting out of it). At least they don't have a straight MSRP markup (at the time I purchased anyway) so I got something for the bucks. Basically it's like armour-all and scotchgard on the inside and some "special" long-lasting wax finish on the outside. It's OK but I probably could have gotten it cheaper on my own ($1700).

I like the leatherette. Real easy to keep clean, looks nice and feels good. I haven't had any problems with sticking to it or anything but I either cover Minnie or use the sunshade depending how long she'll be sitting.

Old 09-11-2008 | 11:19 AM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Oh, forgot. The $1700 also covered the Lo-Jack which was also "mandatory". I guess everybody has to make a few bucks ...

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:54 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Wow, you're saying that your dealerships talked about this stuff being "mandatory"???? Were you all buying your cars outright or leasing them? Even with a lease, it's hard to believe that dealerships are "requiring" people to go with this kind of thing - be it "car care" an "extended warranty" or Lo-Jack.

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:57 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I don't know...the lo-jack, especially in SoCal might not be a BAD thing....

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:59 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Wow, you're saying that your dealerships talked about this stuff being "mandatory"???? Were you all buying your cars outright or leasing them? Even with a lease, it's hard to believe that dealerships are "requiring" people to go with this kind of thing - be it "car care" an "extended warranty" or Lo-Jack.
Cashola, baybee.

I was stunned they would play that way, but there was no way, no how, that I was gonna be forced to buy that.

Old 09-11-2008 | 02:06 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Glad to hear your test drive went great!!!

Can't wait to hear what you finally order! Leatherette is fine - we've had both Leather and Leatherette - both held up well - clean up fine - we opted for Leatherette this time.

Donna

Old 09-11-2008 | 02:07 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
i can't believe there are MINI dealers out there playing by mega car mall American car dealer sales tactics.

a classic article ... but still a great one!!! (read it over lunch one day)
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Old 09-11-2008 | 02:21 PM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Some dealers in California have a $3K - $4K mark up so I felt like I was at least getting something out of it.

Where I live (30 minutes from the border), I'm not so sure the Lo-Jack is that effective. If somebody steals her overnight, I'm not going to know until the next day and once they get it across the border, you aren't getting it back. However, I didn't make a stink about it because I had already decided to get the "early warning" which notifies you if your car is moved (under it's own power or tow) supposedly within 15 minutes. I think that makes it worth having but it's another $400.

I had no problem with the Permaplate really except I think they way over charged for it but ... what's a few more dollars!

They also had a wheel and tire insurance thing they were really pushing hard. $900 for 5 years - that is ridiculous. First, there's no way the tires are going to last 5 years (particularly run flats - I'll be happy if they last two or three years). Second, the Goodyears come with a one year road hazard warranty already (Minnie got a flat one week after I got her home - the second flat I've had in my whole driving history). Third, when you buy new tires you can get road hazard insurance for $25 per tire. Fourth, how many times do you screw up your wheels? Hopefully never (at least I never have anyway).

Aw well. Like I said, I guess everybody's gotta make a living.

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:17 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
No dealer can force car care protection on you. It isn't from the factory. LadyG, I would have bought from them on purpose with a lawyer just to be mean. That is crazy. Century I assume?

Dustin was my MA. Top notch.

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:32 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
No dealer can force car care protection on you. It isn't from the factory. LadyG, I would have bought from them on purpose with a lawyer just to be mean. That is crazy. Century I assume?
Yeeeeup! I found it shocking that they would give up a 33k sale, but I guess they felt like another one would come through the door and pay it? Maybe it's because I didn't finance with them or have a trade in that they could make money off of? I dunno, but regardless, I felt like that was totally bogus.

Dustin was my MA. Top notch.
Amen, brotha.

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:34 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Great link lurch, old buddy, and here's my take away
He could also be switched to leasing without his knowledge or consent. And he might also put down too much money. In the F&I Room he might be talked into buying protection packages, road safety kits and extended warranties.

What would these mistakes add up to? Over the course of five years (the length of some lease contracts) this could mean he pays thousands of dollars too much for that car. This might convert into hundreds of dollars too much per month. Many people are on tight budgets. Paying a hundred dollars too much could sink the ship; certainly it would produce stress and prevent a family from saving or investing their money for the other necessities of life.

The monetary loss is only part of the problem here. People become angry, humiliated and resentful once they find out they have been deceived and overcharged. And yet, once they sign the contract, it is difficult — if not impossible — to unwind the deal.

I should add that there are many good dealers who wouldn't cheat or overcharge even a naive customer. But, sadly, there are enough unscrupulous dealers out there to make caution and suspicion necessary. I know that many of the salespeople I worked with would take an extra thousand dollars profit without a thought, then laughingly brag about it to the other salespeople. The management of the dealership rewarded this kind of profit taking and called it superior salesmanship.
I know I've read about this "extra" stuff before on Consumers, as well.

For those who've succumbed, don't feel badly as you are not alone but "forewarned is forearmed" as my Mother used to say. Or "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Thank goodness my dealership - MINI of Fairfield County in Stamford, CT., does not deal in this way because if they did, I'd be out of there. Granted, I realize that many of the NAM folks don't have a huge choice where they live but if you're barraged with this kind of unprofessional behavior, I urge you to buy your MINIs elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2008 | 05:39 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
The way it was presented at Hendrick was kind of like, "You don't want any protection items do you...." With a voice trail off. I would venture to say most of their customers must not.

Old 09-11-2008 | 11:50 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
The car care package is nothing more then a money maker for the dealer. With cloth seats someone sprays on a fabric protector, which you can do yourself, if you want. The outside is usualy a synthetic wax which may or may not actualy protect anything. Get hubby to clean and polish the car and he'll have fun doing the 'man thing' and you'll save that money.
With 2 children and all of the activities, accidents that come with them, I would go for the leatherette. It is much more forgiving and easier to keep clean without using anything special or costly. It will get hot after sitting in the sun, but so does leather. Cloth will remain cooler, but has the potential to stain (even with a protectant).

Old 09-12-2008 | 06:32 AM
Casey Jones
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
The way it was presented at Hendrick was kind of like, "You don't want any protection items do you...." With a voice trail off. I would venture to say most of their customers must not.
Yeah, Aimee, didn't even mention it, until I said, "if I scotch-gaurd the cloth seats, will it void my warranty?" she said, "no , but we do offer a Protection package that completely covers the interior and exterior, so if the kids get a stain on the seat, or the interior, and we can't get it out, we'll replace it." she told me the cost was about $500-ish.

I didn't feel like she was trying to dupe me, just letting me know, that the dealer offered it.

Old 09-12-2008 | 10:11 AM
jvandewark
1st Gear
f-t,

Aimee's not going to hard-sell those protection packages. That's going to come in the corner office -- financing/payment/paperwork. They'll pitch about five more packages too. You are smart to be thinking ahead and evaluating them in a less stressful environment.

Personally, I declined all, because I'm not risk averse enough to need all types of "insurance." And most neutral consumer publications say they don't pay off. If you've got $500-2500 extra in your pocket, put it in a bank account that earns interest and pay for tires and whatnot when they are needed.

Last edited by jvandewark; 09-12-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 09-12-2008 | 10:25 AM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Yeah, it's the finance people that do the "hard selling" - MINIs pretty much sell themselves.

Quick Reply: R55 I finally got to test drive a Clubman yesterday.