R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 USB cable in Clubman help! (And my review! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB cable in Clubman help! (And my review! :)

So I took my '08 MC to the dealer, and while it's there, I got a Clubman as a loaner. Looks like it has the Bluetooth/USB option, but for the life of me, I can't find the cable that my iPod plugs into! I'd really like to give this a try. Would appreciate if someone would help me locate it!! (I though it was in the secret compartment - no?)

And on that note (not really, but sorta), I got to compare the MC to the Clubman. Overall, the drive is very similar. I find the handling to be virtually the same. Driving it, you can feel that it's slightly larger and it could be just the loaner, but it feels a little more loosely built than the MC... hard to describe. I really like the extra room that it gives you, and for the virtually unnoticeable changes in the ride, I'd say it's definitely worth it. So would I get one? Probably not, only because I bought the Mini for its styling and fun factor... and I'm still not sold on the styling of the Clubman, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I believe that it is supposed to come with the cable, but perhaps since it's a loaner it's not in there. However, the cable that you use to connect your iPod to your computer is the same one that you'll use at it is a USB connector. I don't have mine yet, but this is what I currently understand. Someone else can post if this is not correct. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's under the toggle switch panel, inside the top area where that little cubbie hole thing is.

Glad you are enjoying it! Can't believe your dealer had one available as a loaner!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh sorry, you need the cable. I thought you were asking where to plug it in.

Oopsie!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
OWG
5th Gear
There have been post from other Canadians that the cable is not included in Canada and must be purchased after the fact.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
If you just want to hear the iPod play, all you need is an 1/8" stereo cable with male plugs on both ends. You couldn't control the iPod or see the info on the radio display, because you need the special adapter cable that uses the USB to read the iPod memory (but doesn't play digitally) and uses the d/a converters in the iPod to generate audio.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Alright, I get it... so it truly is a USB option and not a "built in ipod adapter". So I guess I'm out of luck, since I only have the car for another day... definitely not worth buying the ipod cable for it.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
There have been post from other Canadians that the cable is not included in Canada and must be purchased after the fact.
As an "other Canadian" I can vouch for that!

So to the OP, here are the scenarios (that don't help you one bit for the limited time you have with the vehicle):

1) Standard AUX connector - if there is an AUX port (in the same location described above) you can use a male-to-male miniplug connector to plug in your iPod - or any unit for that matter - and have the sound coming through the headphone jack play through the stereo

2) USB connector - this setup has a USB jack next to a stereo miniplug jack (again in the location mentioned above). For this you need the infamous "Y" cable that plugs into these two ports on the car end, and into the dock connector of your iPod. The sound is better than option 1 as it is a lineout feed (but not pure digital since audio still goes thru the miniplug - this is supposed to be improved in '09 with the smartphone adaptor).

The additional plus here is the ability to just plug in a USB "thumb" drive and play from it directly...

3) There is also the iPod connector - this is one that has a cable that plugs into the iPod dock connector and terminates in the "hidden compartment" above the glove box.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCEnvy
Looks like it has the Bluetooth/USB option, but for the life of me, I can't find the cable that my iPod plugs into! I'd really like to give this a try. Would appreciate if someone would help me locate it!! (I though it was in the secret compartment - no?)
Hi MCEnvy- the iPod compatibility included with the Bluetooth/USB option uses a short Y-type cable to plug into the AUX/USB port in the bottom cubby (that's already been mentioned). This one is a factory-only install.

There is also the iPod adapter than can be installed by the dealer- that's the one that installs in the secret compartment. It connects through an adapter that treats the iPod as a CD Changer, which also puts some limitations on the number of tracks that can be in a playlist.

EDIT: Boy, I really gotta preview before I post something I let sit for so long... Sorry for the dupe info.