R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 theft protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theft protection

Although I'm going to be waiting a long time for my car, I never thought of this until now. I was going through the garage, cleaning some stuff out and came across my trusty Autolock. It works by blocking the movement of the brake pedal as opposed to the Club blocking the wheel. The problem is that the thief simply cuts the steering wheel to pry the Club off. Kazzie will have the 6-speed manual when she arrives. Should I clamp the parking brake or the clutch? Does anyone else have a Autolock? Also, do most dealers install LoJack? I never thought of it the entire time I was sitting in the showroom, placing my order.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have autolock but if I had to choose, I'd lock the clutch. Keep the car out of gear with the front wheels turned all the way one way or the other (whichever way would stop the car from rolling the farthest. And, of course, use the parking brake.

I'll be interested in hearing other opinions.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
I'd lock the clutch.
Does not keep the thief form putting car in a gear or from shifting if they are a good driver.

Keep the car out of gear with the front wheels turned all the way one way or the other (whichever way would stop the car from rolling the farthest. And, of course, use the parking brake.
Steering wheel lock can be broken very easily.

LoJack is on of the best to get your car back, and there are others that claim to do the same thing. But the thief can still destroy your car. Yes most dealers can have LoJack isntalled. LoJack has their own install teams. Also in many states LoJack can get you a good discount on your insurance.

Unfortunately the only way to keep it from being damaged or stollen is to not have it. This is not practicle but it is the only sure way.

If a thief (especialy profesionals) want something out of your car they will get it. If they want yor car they will get it.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
As the Clubman already comes with an engine immobilizer you will already get a significant reduction in portions of your insurance. An alarm will not get an additional reduction, Lo-Jack only gives a small additional reduction (and Lo-Jack coverage is not every where so research it before buying).
For example I'd have only gotten an additional $35 off a $1200 policy (Boston is pricey) for JoJack--it'd take 20 years to pay for itself.

Best to call your agent to ask specifically what reduction you'd get for the immobilizer, an alarm or LoJack.

There are existing threads about the immobilizer and optional alarm (oft referred to as a $500 blinking red light).

Personally I don't see how blocking the brake or clutch increases protection over the immobilizer.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zeddy
As the Clubman already comes with an engine immobilizer you will already get a significant reduction in portions of your insurance. An alarm will not get an additional reduction, Lo-Jack only gives a small additional reduction (and Lo-Jack coverage is not every where so research it before buying).
For example I'd have only gotten an additional $35 off a $1200 policy (Boston is pricey) for JoJack--it'd take 20 years to pay for itself.

Best to call your agent to ask specifically what reduction you'd get for the immobilizer, an alarm or LoJack.

There are existing threads about the immobilizer and optional alarm (oft referred to as a $500 blinking red light).

Personally I don't see how blocking the brake or clutch increases protection over the immobilizer.
Well, the point is to at least do something. I don't believe in the totally theft-proof car any more than you. I would rather something than nothing. I'm still going to get Lo-Jack and use my Autolock anyway. I think I'll be the only one in town with a Clubman until next year. I have not seen a Clubman on the streets except one that was on the highway a few months ago.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's going to take the thief an hour to figure out how to start the car, and, if it's raining, he'll probably abandon it after not being able to figure out how to turn on the wipers.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
I don't have autolock but if I had to choose, I'd lock the clutch. Keep the car out of gear with the front wheels turned all the way one way or the other (whichever way would stop the car from rolling the farthest. And, of course, use the parking brake.

I'll be interested in hearing other opinions.
clubman comes with a steering lock? it seems mini took it out sometime in the 07 MY for cooper/S

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
Although I'm going to be waiting a long time for my car, I never thought of this until now. I was going through the garage, cleaning some stuff out and came across my trusty Autolock. It works by blocking the movement of the brake pedal as opposed to the Club blocking the wheel. The problem is that the thief simply cuts the steering wheel to pry the Club off. Kazzie will have the 6-speed manual when she arrives. Should I clamp the parking brake or the clutch? Does anyone else have a Autolock? Also, do most dealers install LoJack? I never thought of it the entire time I was sitting in the showroom, placing my order.
I live in Phoenix, AZ where we have one of the highest auto-theft rates in the country. I've seen many demonstrations where interior locks (wheel, brake, etc) are broken either with a device that you can get online (http://www.clubbuster.com/) Alternatively, they spray freon into the lock and hitting it with a hammer (breaks the lock mechanism).

Lojack is definitely the way to go if your area/state has good coverage (not all do). If you contact Lojack from their website, they will often have installers that will come to your house and install. Often, this is less expensive than at the dealer - just depends if the dealer is marking up the install. Be sure to consider the "Early Warning" option on Lojack. It will page you if your car is moved without your key fob being in the car. The biggest problem I've know about Lojack is not finding out the car is stolen for a long period of time, giving the thief time to get out of Lojack range - like Mexico for us...

On the insurance front, check with your specific insurance agent - not all give additional discounts since the MINI has anti-theft (ignition interrupt) as standard.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zeddy
And i live in Gardner MA, 60 miles west of Boston (not a high crime area) where insurance rate are still way to high but i get a $194.00 (20%) discount on my policy for having LoJack in my car. My policy runs $970 per year.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wearlaz
I live in Phoenix, AZ where we have one of the highest auto-theft rates in the country. I've seen many demonstrations where interior locks (wheel, brake, etc) are broken either with a device that you can get online (http://www.clubbuster.com/) Alternatively, they spray freon into the lock and hitting it with a hammer (breaks the lock mechanism).

Good luck!
What are these guys doing selling something to make a car thief's life easier? This is like selling a set of skeleton keys to all the jail cells in the city!

I just don't buy their claims that it's to help the repo man. Some repo men ARE ex-car thieves. Maybe the inventor should send every locksmith in his city a copy of his house keys. He did the same to people trying to protect their hard-earned property by creating this "crime aid." I think car theft victims using those devices should have the right to sue the website for making it so easy to steal their cars.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
What are these guys doing selling something to make a car thief's life easier? This is like selling a set of skeleton keys to all the jail cells in the city!

I just don't buy their claims that it's to help the repo man. Some repo men ARE ex-car thieves. Maybe the inventor should send every locksmith in his city a copy of his house keys. He did the same to people trying to protect their hard-earned property by creating this "crime aid." I think car theft victims using those devices should have the right to sue the website for making it so easy to steal their cars.
Venting and rants aside, the reality is that many people lose their keys [hence needing a locksmith], many deadbeats use the club or other devices to prevent their cars from being repossessed and emergency personnel cannot move cars if the vehicle is locked up with The Club or Autolock.

Another reality is that if someone wants your car bad enough they already have devices similar to this, possibly home made, but probably available on the black market.

So suing "car theft victims using those devices" [I assume you meant to say car theft victims should have the right to sue the manufacturer and also the user of the clubbuster] is not even close to being feasible.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
Another reality is that if someone wants your car bad enough they already have devices similar to this, possibly home made, but probably available on the black market.
Yeah but then, most people wouldn't know that something like this exists. The reality is that, now they can find a faster way to steal a car because the item is readily available. How many car thieves are pros, in other words, the kinds who can defeat absolutely any alarm, break any car lock, tow anything? Less than half according to the police. Most amateurs, gangsters, common thugs, etc. They usually lack the know-how to do sophisticated work. Now they can steal the car a LOT faster and much more easily. Does that make sense? And considering your location, most cars being stolen there are probably by Mexican gangs to be shipped over the border. How many cars are actually sent back to the US after Mexico's purely corrupt government officials seize them? Almost none. They keep them for themselves. The way senor Mexico sees it, it's finders keepers.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
And i live in Gardner MA, 60 miles west of Boston (not a high crime area) where insurance rate are still way to high but i get a $194.00 (20%) discount on my policy for having LoJack in my car. My policy runs $970 per year.

Hey, great! tell me who your agent/insurance company is because every written quote I got for car insurance in Massachusetts from MetLIfe, Amica, StateFarm, and all the rest gave the LoJack discount off ONLY the Comprehensive portion of my car insurance bill not the whole bill. Which makes sense because why should an anti-thief device reduce the collision and liability etc portions of car insurance.

Also, I was quoted UPTO 35% off comprehensive with the LoJack, but since they already give 20%off comprehensive for the engine immobilizer it is not another 35%for LoJack; rather an additional 15% off comprehensive only for LoJack to bring the total discount to 35% off comprehensive.

If people in Massachusetts have done better than this I really would appreciate knowing which companies so I can look into changing my policy.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WoW!!! This is what the thief is looking for,

Ad says it is fun to use and will pay for itself the very first time you use it. It should say "it way more then pays for itself the first time you use it." No wonder car insurance is sky hi. For every deterent it seems A thief will find A way around it.
I'm glad I live in Florida where if you catch some thief stealing from you all you need to do is SHOOT them. Castle law is really great. It extends to your car. Of course you will be fearing for your life when you shoot the creep.

Last edited by ronnie948; 09-15-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Stupid spelling again