R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 roof stripes in combination with moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
muesliiii
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof stripes in combination with moonroof

My clubman is about to arrive. Can't wait. Does anybody have experience with (black) roof stripes plus moon roof. My dealer isn't quite sure what to do with them. I'm wondering whether one needs to cut them up in order not to obscure the moonroof. Or are they usually added across the entire length of the roof (including the moonroof) and just cut at the transition points between the roof and the moonroof. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised your MA didn't mention this. Kazzie will have black racing stripes and the moonroof. My MA asked me an odd question but it still indicates to me that he knows about this. He asked "Do you want the stripes between the moonroofs?" I said "yes." It isn't that hard. In fact, when I saw a do-it-yourself video about putting stripes on a MINI (Not a Clubman), the video seemed to indicate that it might be EASIER because you don't have to wrestle with a humongous stripe. Cutting it down makes it easier to manage. BTW, those of you doing this on your own, think again carefully. It does NOT look easy and I'm sure a few DIY's tore their hair out in frustration.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the pictures in my gallery. I had my sunroofs covered in white vinyl and blue stripes put across them. You can do stripes right across the sunroofs too but if your roof is a dark color and in a hot climate, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stripes straddle the moonroof, of course that was by design to align with the wide set OEM stripes on my 06

Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM
muesliiii
1st Gear
Thanks guys, helpful posts! Rich, Your roof stripes on your blue stripes on the white roof look really sharp!!! My clubman is going to be sparkling silver and the stripes are meant to be in black from head to toe. Based on Rich's picture, I think I'm going to ask my dealer to put them across the moonroof. Please see the pictures in My Gallery (yeap, screenshots, the pic on the configurator download wouldn't show the roof stripes even if chosen). Thanks again. Muesli

Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Not sure if this helps, but here's a nickel's worth...

1) If you have a white roof you can cover it with white solid vinyl that has stripes imprinted in it (as part of the design). As this is solid, no light will come through, but will look like a "solid" roof

2) If you have a white roof you can cover it with white perforated vinyl that has stripes imprinted in it. As this is perforated, some light will come through. Personally, I don't think the perforated looks as good close-up, but looks great from far away...

3) If you have a black roof, the sunroof glass appears to be the same color. I for one just treated the glass like painted metal and striped right across the sunroof. Here are some pics for you:

Hope that helps...

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by muesliiii
My clubman is going to be sparkling silver and the stripes are meant to be in black from head to toe... Please see the pictures in My Gallery... Thanks again. Muesli
muesli - just re-read what you're trying to do. If you leave your sunroof as is, then the black stripes won't likely show up on "black glass". If you cover your sunroof in body-colored vinyl then have the stripes imprinted on it, then they will show...

good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Stripes look awesome

Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
muesliiii
1st Gear
Ben, You have a great point here: Why covering a black moon-roof with black stripes?!? From the outside one won't be able to see them and from the inside they take away the light. I don't think this is a good idea ...
I'll ask the dealer to cut the stripes in pieces and just cover the remaining roof part and not the moonroof part.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Ben, You have a great point here: Why covering a black moon-roof with black stripes?!? From the outside one won't be able to see them and from the inside they take away the light. I don't think this is a good idea ...
I'll ask the dealer to cut the stripes in pieces and just cover the remaining roof part and not the moonroof part.
Yeah, black on black doesn't make too much sense. Sounds like you're going to do what NicoBlake did (see his gallery)

You could get a graphics shop to make a piece of "sparkling silver" vinyl (with built-in black stripes) to cover the whole sunroof though. From your configurator pics, it looks like you have a sparkling silver (body colored) roof, right?

Either way, good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
muesliiii
1st Gear
Ben, Thanks again. I'm going to leave the moonroof as is and have the stripes interrupted where the sunroof pops up. The vinyl idea is fancy but it takes away the idea of the moonroof. Anyway, do you know what the price-tag would be for the vinyl-stripes-glas-cover solution?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Ben, Thanks again. I'm going to leave the moonroof as is and have the stripes interrupted where the sunroof pops up. The vinyl idea is fancy but it takes away the idea of the moonroof. Anyway, do you know what the price-tag would be for the vinyl-stripes-glas-cover solution?
NP muesli - you lost me on the last bit though... please clarify "vinyl-stripes-glass-cover". Do you mean what I described above (i.e. a custom piece of vinyl that covers the whole sunroof)?

Sorry - still early for me here...

Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
bentyyc,

That's a seriously fabulous looking set of stripes!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by on2wheels
bentyyc,
That's a seriously fabulous looking set of stripes!
Meh, a couple of straight lines... who knew?

Thanks on2wheels! Let's hope muesli gets the look he wants too!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
muesliiii
1st Gear
Ben, I'm back. Sorry, I was imprecise and you were right with your guess. Any idea how much the 'custom piece of vinyl that covers the whole sunroof' would be? BTW: your Clubman is the best I ever saw! Awesome.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Ben, I'm back. Sorry, I was imprecise and you were right with your guess. Any idea how much the 'custom piece of vinyl that covers the whole sunroof' would be?
Sorry muesli - I have no idea. Seems like from reading on this board that prices for vinyl work are all over the map. I guess it depends on quality of materials used, workmanship, gouging, etc. I paid about $800 CAD for all the stripes you see on my car (hood, roof, and barn doors) as well as the clearbra.

BTW: your Clubman is the best I ever saw! Awesome.
Awww... I'm sure that's not true. So many nice cars to see on this forum. Glad you like it though. All the best with yours. Make sure you post pictures when it's done!