R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2009 MINI Mis-build Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
From the forum traffic I can not tell if there are No AH comming through, or if the missing AH is more random. Has anyone in the affected production weeks gotted the AH they ordered? ajm
I answered my own question this evening. July order - Week 37 build - no AH. Havent decided what my response will be yet. Going to see my yet unclained R55 Saturday. ajm

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My SA assured me yesterday that if my W39 build coupe does not have the AH and related parts, they will take a half-day to install one and correct the problem. He made it sound like it was no biggie whatsoever, that they have experience doing this (mostly for sunroof work.) However, my MA mentioned the bulletin he recieved only affected Clubman builds in weeks 36, 37, and 38, and that the shortage is due to the factory JCW Clubman demand and MINI not being prepared to meet the needs of the regular build cycle; remember, the factory was still cranking out 09 JCWs even during the annual August slowdown.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by srahaim
This is a major bummer as it raises quality control red flags that I've never had to consider coming off of years of Honda and Acura (yawn, oh, excuse me) products.
when you went to the honda/acura dealership, did you actually "build" your car and then wait for it to get built and shipped overseas, or did you just pick off the lot? If you picked off the lot, then you got what was there and as such you wouldnt have known that the vehicle was suppose to have that extra piece missing..? just a thought

Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Gumpper
Neutral
Why are you defending Mini, Dead Ringer? Sure, Mini isn't the only company to have faced a parts shortage, and I'm sure Honda, Acura, etc. all have had similar issues. But what is inexcusable here is the lack of communications from Mini and its dealers with customers, and the very uneven handling of the situation. Some dealers seem to recognize that customers are disappointed and try to make it right, while others (like Mini of Sterling) recognize that they have all the leverage in today's market and adopt a "take it or leave it" approach. Notice, we have yet to see a post in this thread saying "I just got a call from my MA telling me I have a headliner issue." I''m not even sure I would have been told had I not raised it at delivery.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gumpper
Why are you defending Mini, Dead Ringer?
don't take it as defending Mini, I was just asking a question.. Usually when ordering a car you go to the lot and grab what available.. He was making it sound like honda/acura has no quality control problems...

Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Personally, I'm not surprised some dealers are better than other at addressing problems. It's just like everything. No body is perfect, but if you ordered an anthracite headliner, then you should have gotten one or at least advanced notice you wouldn't. It's unacceptable to have to point it out to the dealer. MINI should have notified THEM and they should have notified the BUYER. While I love my MCS and will surely love my Clubman S I would come unglued if I were treated like this. I own a bodyshop and fully understand "things" happen. But easing the situation is paramount to customer service. Not hoping they don't notice a problem!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those of you waiting for the swap ... make sure they also change the overhead toggle switch pieces by the windshield ... those are also part of the AH package ...

so:
- headliner
- a/b/c pillars
- 3 sun visors
- overhead toggle switch cover plate

Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
The MA (not mine) I spoke with at NW Mini in Seattle told me today that I could reorder the car or take it as it is. After I let him know that some people are getting theirs replaced, he put me on hold and then told me that Mini headquarters hasn't come out with a fix yet, but they will go with what ever they say. We have been waiting since May th for this car, are you kidding me? Reordering would take another couple of months, at least. Not pleased by the MA's response.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I was told that it appears that mine does not have the Anthracite HL either and that I could wait for the "how to deal with this" bulletin from Headquarters and could decide whether I would accept their response or build another. Mine just loaded on the boat and I still have a month before receiving it so if I need to reorder I'd like to get this started ASAP. Bummer that this even happened in the first place!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Just an update on my order which started the thread. I took delivery Saturday, got a $250 credit and will get the AH (with all the appropriate plastic bits) installed when it comes available. The standard headliner doesn't look too bad though. I'll decide which way to go later.

The MA and the Manager were very apologetic (even though this was a MINI and not a dealer problem). (I had a different quality issue prior to delivery that they also dealt with quickly and well.) They also threw in a rubber boot mat and a small gift certificate for the MINI boutique.

All in all an appropriate response. My dealer is Otto's in West Chester, PA. And the MA is Michelle Dewey.

I find it hard to believe that some Dealers are adopting a "take it or leave it" approach. These Dealers get judged (and their allocations are affected I think) by the quality survey sent by MINI at or near the time you take delivery. If an MA is giving you the brush off ask to see the Manager and inform them that you will give the Dealership 0's or 1's in the survey. That should get their attention. (Also, post the Dealership and MA names loud and clear on NAM so that others can avoid them if at all possible.)

Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Congratulations upon taking delivery of that beautiful Clubman, srahaim! I'm also glad that you were able to work things out with your dealership. I hope you will be sure to post some photos here and on the Clubman Flickr pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/mini_clubman/

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
We picked up our Clubman yesterday and decided to keep the light gray headliner. The $250 option charge was still on the sticker; the MA deleted the charge. In addition, they are supposed to mail us a $250 rebate. As I understand it, MINI is reimbursing the dealers for this.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I'm hoping everyone who is in the midst of this will post here so that the whole community can access the info/feedback in one place. (Kind of like the never ending roof rack thread, but hopefully with a faster fix!!)

Right now it appears to me, who am not personally involved, that there is conflicting information going on out there. I wish I'd known the depth of this conflicting information because I was just up at my dealership and we discussed it briefly. The Manager and Service Advisor both both commented on it and how it had created big problems, but I didn't delve into the finer points. For example, some dealers are saying not to worry and that they'll replace it once the various parts come in... Others are just saying "take it as it is or reorder"... Gaffer got his $250 back plus another $250 in some sort of voucher for various MINI related items..

I feel very badly for everyone who is disappointed and upset. If you're truly upset and the dealership is not making "good" on this for you, make sure you call MINI USA, get the name of the person you speak to and don't give up.

Coopdy, since you're still 4 weeks out, I really do see how you are feeling pushed over the edge.

Last edited by Otra; 10-14-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
As a fellow NW'er with the *interminable* wait-times we have, I really feel for Coopdy's dilemma in particular, but also for everyone who has to deal with this. You-ification is all fine and dandy, but it comes at a very high cost with concomitant expectations. MINI gets the benefit of low inventory risk and high demand - consumers get high price, long waits, and yes, a high level of control over what gets built. When a signficant part of that contract gets broken, it's fair to expect relief in corresponding measure. JMO.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Well stated!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Called a different dealer today to see how they are handling the matter. He told me that it would cost $700 - 800 to replace the HL. Suggested to talk to my MA first (he has been off) and if I am not getting anywhere with him, do up the ladder. Manager and even call in the Area Manager. Don't know who that is. All I want is someone to step up to the plate and say "Don't worry, we know it's a problem and will do what ever it takes to fix it". I realize it's not the dealers fault, but I still think that they are the ones that need to make us customers happy. We are all spending a lot of money on these cars, have been waiting forever and should be able to expect exactly what we ordered. Then the dealer can take up the issue with Mini HQ to get their money back.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I think I can speak for all those who are/may be missing the headliners with a round of thanks for the support. I think for many of us it's not just that we wanted one thing and got another, it's the way that it happened in the first place and the way that the lack of commitment and communication has gone that is the most frustrating.

I'm looking forward to when my MA returns as I trust him to help as much as he can and also find out definitively whether mine has it or not.

Thanks again

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Gumpper
Neutral
What is astonishing (and galling) is that it is now almost two weeks since the first post in this thread, and yet Mini has not developed a consistent response that has been conveyed to dealers and customers. I can only conclude that Mini just does not care. And, given the response of my dealer (Mini of Sterling) and others, it looks like many dealers do not either. Love my Clubman S, even with the light gray headliner, but this obvious distain for customers makes it impossible for me to recommend Mini to others.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
(Even though this didn't affect my 09MC) This is the response I got from my MA when I inquired about this problem:

"Hey **** spoke to Sales_Manager_01. He was aware of this. The only way we are going to know if it is in your car is when the car arrives. Sales_Manager_01 said that because it’s MINI USA’s mistake they would obviously correct the problem. Let’s hope that your car wasn’t affected. The good news is that you would definitely have the problem fixed if it was to be the case. Ill keep checking on it in the meantime."

Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Gumpper, unfortunately, from everything I've read on this board and others, all dealerships are not created equally. Travis's post and the posts of some others attest to this.

If your dealership doesn't give you satisfaction, call MINI USA and ask for someone in charge if the rep you get doesn't know the answer. A polite but firm inquiry should bring results. Don't let it drop if things are not addressed properly - call back and write down the names of the people you speak to.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Todays update: The Sales Manager call to offer three 'offical' MiniUSA santioned options:
1 Take as is, receive a mailed $ check in addition to the $250 reduction on the Monroonie (sp?) sticker.
2 Re-order car (future production week yet unknown).
3 Take as is, with an offical, signed by someone important, IOU for a future AH replacement kit. Kit availability 30 - 60 days - at which time I give up the car for 1 - 2 work days.
4 reject the BMW products and purchase that bright red Kia

Don't ask! Wife and I have not decided on any option yet.
The reorder option (2) means we could change the configuration, perhaps a manual instead of the Automatic? But all the financial stuff would have to be redone.
Take now (3) would save the financial work but keep the configuration as delivered.
The only non-starter is option 1. and #4 - Our favorite alternative is first year production so its not its time yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TravisNJ
(Even though this didn't affect my 09MC) This is the response I got from my MA when I inquired about this problem:

"Hey **** spoke to Sales_Manager_01. He was aware of this. The only way we are going to know if it is in your car is when the car arrives. Sales_Manager_01 said that because it’s MINI USA’s mistake they would obviously correct the problem. Let’s hope that your car wasn’t affected. The good news is that you would definitely have the problem fixed if it was to be the case. Ill keep checking on it in the meantime."

The dealer / MA can tell right away after build becauge the car price-out in their computer will be reduced by $250. My MA and I saw that before we heard about the Mis-build but did not realize the reason for the computor change.

Last edited by moe-jiller; 10-14-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Todays update: The Sales Manager call to offer three 'offical' MiniUSA santioned options:
1 Take as is, receive a mailed $ check in addition to the $250 reduction on the Monroonie (sp?) sticker.
2 Re-order car (future production week yet unknown).
3 Take as is, with an offical, signed by someone important, IOU for a future AH replacement kit. Kit availability 30 - 60 days - at which time I give up the car for 1 - 2 work days.
4 reject the BMW products and purchase that bright red Kia

Don't ask! Wife and I have not decided on any option yet.
The reorder option (2) means we could change the configuration, perhaps a manual instead of the Automatic? But all the financial stuff would have to be redone.
Take now (3) would save the financial work but keep the configuration as delivered.
The only non-starter is option 1. and #4 - Our favorite alternative is first year production so its not its time yet.
Yea MINI! I think that these are fair options, though I'm not sure about Option 4 .

Good luck on your decision and thank you for keeping us all up to date! I'm rejazzed about my MINI coming across the ocean for me to drive and then in a month or two receive a "facial" if the headliner does not come already installed. Thanks moe-jiller

Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Alphawave
MINI obviously read our critical posts!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 AM
tancred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I'm hoping everyone who is in the midst of this will post here so that the whole community can access the info/feedback in one place. (Kind of like the never ending roof rack thread, but hopefully with a faster fix!!)
+1 on that! Members of the Missing Anthracite Headliner Club (can we get a badge for that??), please post whether you ultimately decide to keep the lighter headliner or not. And if you do get it replaced, please keep us all updated on what you hear regarding delivery time of a replacement and how the replacement goes. This is one of those situations in which those of us affected need to be able to see what others are experiencing in order to ensure that MINI and our dealers are handling this fairly and consistently.

And moe-jiller, you raised a point I hadn't thought of -- it's fine to talk about waiting for a re-order (yeah, right), but that probably would mean risking getting worse financing terms.

Quick Reply: R55 2009 MINI Mis-build Bulletin