R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2009 MINI Mis-build Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one thing fer sure: anthracite heads, me included, are a passionate lot.

no one else understands...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence

no one else understands...
Not true I understand compleatly. There are very few color combinations where both headliners would work, for example if coopdys interrior is black on the silver car anthracite would be the only choice. In my case with the brown and black trim either would have worked. Im sure if anyone new it wasne't avaliable they simply would have chosen a different color combination. MINI needs to back up their dealers and customers otherwize there sales will drop off, not something anyone can afford in the current market conditions. It's much easier to keep a customer then to get new ones. Those dealers that take the take it or leave it attitude will eventually go under. Those that try to make things right are looking for the repeat business.
BTW my missing chrome is slowly comming in piece by piece.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Todays update: The Sales Manager call to offer three 'offical' MiniUSA santioned options:
1 Take as is, receive a mailed $ check in addition to the $250 reduction on the Monroonie (sp?) sticker.
2 Re-order car (future production week yet unknown).
3 Take as is, with an offical, signed by someone important, IOU for a future AH replacement kit. Kit availability 30 - 60 days - at which time I give up the car for 1 - 2 work days.
4 reject the BMW products and purchase that bright red Kia
Update: We chose door #3 - take as is with kit later. The financial stuff was already set up and I wanted to get the Mini thing out of the way so we could focus on Hurricane Ike recovery issues. For option #2 we could have had a week 43 (next week) build but delivery would have been just before Thanksgiving. November will be a stressed month even without this.
So there you have it. Everyone stand by........the reports of the AH kit install will start posting in 3 or 4 weeks, if we are lucky.
PS We rejected #4 also. The Kia only has light gray headliners.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Update: We chose door #3 - take as is with kit later.

Moe - I think that is the wisest choice - welcome to the community! We're here to support you. We've got a couple of people in the dealership that were affected by the issue.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Update: We chose door #3 - take as is with kit later.
PS We rejected #4 also. The Kia only has light gray headliners.
Are you sure about not choosing #4, you can maybe have a liner retrofitted . For what it's worth, I too would choose #3. Let us know how things progress for you and now you can enjoy your MINI sooner!!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Gumpper
Neutral
So Krut, since you are the closest we have to a Mini representative on this thread, is Moe-Jiller's report on the options being offered by Mini correct (or at least the first three)?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Haven't seen anything on our internal systems other than what's already been discussed. Moe-Jiller's response is accurate.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
I spoke with MINI USA this evening and evidently they just issued a corporate memo that they will provide a rebate for the cost of the headliner as well as giving those affected "special gifts" to be determined by MINI USA. Not sure how this will sit with people, but as of now, that is the word from MINI USA.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
tancred
4th Gear
Thanks for the update. Lola looks gorgeous! Beautiful NFR/B, and the interior rocks!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Well, I have great news! Hermione arrived at my dealer today. And yes, the HL is missing, but my dealer will order the Anthracite HL and exchange it once it gets here. Can't tell you how happy I am. They just offered that as a solution and that works great for me. I will pick her up Wednesday and go back once the replacement arrives. I'll even get a loaner. BTW, it should only take about 3 hours to replace everything. At least that's what my MA was told.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Just an update on the headliner situation.
As you all may know the factory in Oxford ran out of the clubman anthracite materials. These part will be on back order for atleast a month. Any self respecting dealership with issue you a "we owe" on these parts and install them when they become available.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 AM
tancred
4th Gear
MiniStupidFun and Krut, is Oxford still out of the anthracite headliners? Or will you not know that the shortage is over until cars finally arrive at your dealerships with AHs? This started with Week 36 builds (my week), went into 37, 38, and 39(?) ... and beyond? Just wondering, as the longer the factory's out, the more will have to be shipped from Germany and replaced at dealerships. Egads. This could take a while.

Nonetheless, I'm absolutely loving my Clubman, AH or not. So stunning! So fun!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
tancred
4th Gear
*bump* Until new Clubmen start arriving with their AHs, it might be good to keep this on the first page.

Stopped by the dealer today. They still hope to receive the replacement headliner in the next couple of weeks. Apparently locally I'm the only one thus far affected, or at least determined to go through with the replacement. They have been very supportive through all this, and understand perfectly why I'm insisting on having it done.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
Brakes Recall

I got a recall notice in the mail today. My '09 JCW may have 16" brakes instead of 17" as designed. Sounds like the factory is being pushed. It means a lost day and driving 200+ miles to dealership to inspect and correct. Wish I could figure it out myself. The Brembo brakes are awesome now, if they are wrong, could they be any better?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Tancred I feel the same way. Was able to take a look at our Clubman over the weekend and I still think that the Anthracite Headliner really adds to the look of our Mini. We'll be picking her up Wednesday and then we'll just have to see how long it will take before the HL comes in.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by X5JR
I got a recall notice in the mail today. My '09 JCW may have 16" brakes instead of 17" as designed. Sounds like the factory is being pushed. It means a lost day and driving 200+ miles to dealership to inspect and correct. Wish I could figure it out myself. The Brembo brakes are awesome now, if they are wrong, could they be any better?

The dealership will be able to tell if your MINI is effected by the Vin #, thus saving you that trip.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by X5JR
get out a tape measure...

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
That seems simple enough, why didn't I think of that?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
Tried the VIN number question, if the factory doesn't know, the dealer doesn't know which car they mistakenly put the wrong size on.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
LordRybo
Seat To Wheel Spacer
I'm still going round & round with my dealership on the Anthracite Headliner issue. They appear to be playing dumb, and just refunding the $250. Their argument is that Mini USA has not told them that the problem exists, or how to fix it. (lame excuse) My Clubbie will actually be here around the first of the month, but now that it's on the ground in South Carolina, we can confirm that the AH is missing.

Anyone have any luck swaying a dealer to do the right thing instead of taking the easy way out?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
IcedogSVL
1st Gear
My dealer assumed (and correctly so) that they would just "owe" me the AH and install it when they get it. Told me it would be a day or so to install. In fact, that was the day I bought it...then I went back for mats last week (they owed me them too) and they said the headliner should be in "sometime soon" and that they'd call me to set up the appointment.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM
tancred
4th Gear
As a Week 36er, my Clubman was in on the very beginning of this situation. My dealership has been helpful from the start, even before they received the notification from MINI in early October that this was a system-wide issue. They initially thought it was just a singular factory error. As soon as he saw the wrong headliner, my MA said, "We'll replace it at no cost to you." Ditto the SA and the manager. No hedging, no excuses, just an attitude of making it right -- I like that.

When I stopped by the other day, after apologizing profusely once again for the problem (even though it's not the dealer's fault), my MA volunteered that "You love your MINI now, but when that darker headliner comes in it's gonna look sooo much better. You'll be glad you waited."

Old 10-24-2008, 04:40 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lurch70
Oxford is 24/7/365 ... just pray your car was not built during futbol playoff's
If they were watching football at the MINI plant, they'd better not be fans of Newcastle or Tottenham! Manchester United fan all the way!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 03:18 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
We decided to take the refund and our dealer bent over backward to apologize and threw in some nice accessories to boot. After living with the car for over 2 weeks, I love her just the way she is. I think that the standard HL works fine mainly because I have the cream line interior and the sunroof, so it is really only a teensy bit of HL anyway. If I had a different interior, I might have opted for the swap out. Either way, my dealer handled it very professionally and was willing to do what it took to make it right, which is all you can hope for in a situation like that. Hopefully the dealers that are not being as accommodating will step up and do the right thing.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Wednesday we got to pick up our Mini. While we were at the dealership, we did check out clubman with the Anthracite HL. That Mini had very dark tinted window and had piano black trim. We really didn't like it very much. To much of a cave like feeling.
We gave ourselves 2 days to decide on the HL issue and ended up taking Hermione just the ways she is. I'll get some other things with the $250, perhaps a nice new red suitcase.

Quick Reply: R55 2009 MINI Mis-build Bulletin