R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 License plate screws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008 | 04:21 PM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
License plate screws?

Question for the collective: The (rear) license plate screws on my Clubman are coarse thread, like sheet metal screws, not machine screws, and they thread directly into the plastic of the rear bumper; there's no metal threaded insert. Are they all like this, or do I have a minor situation?

Okay, another way to ask the question is this: I'm installing a MINI tag frame. The screws that come in the kit are stainless machine screws. Are they going to work, or will I need to use the OE sheet metal screws?

Last edited by hoonu; 10-17-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2008 | 04:46 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Same for me here. I installed a MINI emblem frame a week or two ago and I just put it on with the screws in the plastic. I will keep the ones that came with the new frame and use them when I can on something else, maybe on the front.

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:14 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hoonu
Question for the collective: The (rear) license plate screws on my Clubman are coarse thread, like sheet metal screws, not machine screws, and they thread directly into the plastic of the rear bumper; there's no metal threaded insert. Are they all like this, or do I have a minor situation?

Okay, another way to ask the question is this: I'm installing a MINI tag frame. The screws that come in the kit are stainless machine screws. Are they going to work, or will I need to use the OE sheet metal screws?
Ypu will need to use the "OE sheet metal screws." The MINI frames and their machine screws work fine for 1st generation cars and the R-56 Coupes, but not the Clubmans.

I have yet to determine if the OE screws will work with the clear plastic retainers and snap-on caps to cover the screw heads once the frame is attached to the bumper.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:32 AM
diablito
5th Gear
^

+1 ..Yeah use the black screws will hold better. Is a Clubman thing. Also watch for the little rubber cube looking thing in the middle of the barn doors, sometimes it pops out don't loose it is the dampener for the door closure. :-)

Old 10-18-2008 | 09:02 AM
Barley
3rd Gear
Heh diablito - I found that bumper on the floor of my father's garage the day after I picked up my Clubman in LV. Took me a moment to figure out what it was.

How about the front license plate plinth. Oregon is a front-plate state - what size screw is used to screw the holder into the little guide dimples? Any old self-tapping screw?

Old 10-18-2008 | 08:00 PM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
Ypu will need to use the "OE sheet metal screws." The MINI frames and their machine screws work fine for 1st generation cars and the R-56 Coupes, but not the Clubmans.
Discovered as much today. The machine screws won't reach, not to mention being the wrong thread and size.

I have yet to determine if the OE screws will work with the clear plastic retainers and snap-on caps to cover the screw heads once the frame is attached to the bumper.

Hope this helps.
It did. Here's the deal on the clear washer/retainers: The top OE screw fits them fine. The flange on the head of the bottom screws is slightly too big, and splits the washer when you tighten it down. The snap on caps still snap on securely though. So, you got two options: Get different screws of the correct length with smaller heads, or let them split.

Hope that helps!