R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Finally made it to Peabody for a test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008 | 03:12 PM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Finally made it to Peabody for a test drive

I like the Clubman just fine. Plenty of room for the pup. I enjoyed driving it. Never driven a 6 speed!

But their offer for a trade-in on my car was laughable. Thousands less than KBB. He even pulled up KBB on his screen in front of me and then said, "It's just a guideline."
Then offer me more than what it says because, after all, it's just a guideline, right?

Not happening unless I sell my car on my own.

Old 10-18-2008 | 04:23 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I think for the most part selling privately will garner more for your car than a trade at nearly any dealer, MINI or not.

Enjoy the Clubman if things work out for you.

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:13 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wannab drivin
But their offer for a trade-in on my car was laughable. Thousands less than KBB. He even pulled up KBB on his screen in front of me and then said, "It's just a guideline."
Then offer me more than what it says because, after all, it's just a guideline, right?

Not happening unless I sell my car on my own.
Told you so...

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
This happens at MINI/BMW dealerships all the time. Check at Carmax. I have heard lots of stories concerning owners who manipulate the system to get far better trade-ins than what the BMW/MINI dealership can offer...good stuff!! Of course, nowadays it depends on what you are trading in, but still, a little research and/or dialogue w/ the right folks could pay off!!

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:44 AM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
This happens at MINI/BMW dealerships all the time. Check at Carmax. I have heard lots of stories concerning owners who manipulate the system to get far better trade-ins than what the BMW/MINI dealership can offer...good stuff!! Of course, nowadays it depends on what you are trading in, but still, a little research and/or dialogue w/ the right folks could pay off!!
There's no Carmax near me. The nearest is in CT.
Can you tell me more about what you mean by "manipulate the system to get far better trade-ins "?
Yesterday's visit reminded me, once again, how much I hate car dealers. I don't care what make they are selling. They have sleazy tactics and will try anything. Pity the ignorant who fall for some of the lines.
I hold similar feelings toward realtors.

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:49 AM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Told you so...
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was expecting, or why I thought maybe they would be at a higher standard with the "no negotiation" thing on the purchase, but I felt like the sales guy and they guy pulling up the trade-in were just as sleazy as any car dealer. You should've heard some of the "lines". Yeesh!

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:57 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
My experience is that any dealer other than a MINI dealer will give you alot closer to Blue Book. The MINI dealers can try to sell used MINIs "as new" but they'll never give you "as new" trade-in values. Now another dealer who knows they can get good money by selling the MINI to somebody else might slightly inflate the trade-in value and offset that by raising the price on the car you're looking at. What's for sure is the MINI dealer knows how long you've waited for your ordered MINI and how far you've driven to pick it up and how many people will snap it up if you don't buy it.

Old 10-19-2008 | 07:08 AM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PepperSClubman
My experience is that any dealer other than a MINI dealer will give you alot closer to Blue Book. The MINI dealers can try to sell used MINIs "as new" but they'll never give you "as new" trade-in values. Now another dealer who knows they can get good money by selling the MINI to somebody else might slightly inflate the trade-in value and offset that by raising the price on the car you're looking at. What's for sure is the MINI dealer knows how long you've waited for your ordered MINI and how far you've driven to pick it up and how many people will snap it up if you don't buy it.
I have a Subaru. I'm looking to buy a new Clubman. He even told me (with a bit of sneer) "Maybe your Subaru is worth more in Maine than it is here in MA." Then he said I shouldn't feel "insulted" over their offer. It wasn't the offer so much as it was the tactics and age-old sales lines and BS.
And, yes, I know I could get lots more for a trade if I were buying another Subaru, or even a Honda or Toyota.

This is a quote from their website about their salespeople:
"You’ll never hear me say, “You look great in that car.” I’ll never ask, “what do I need to do to put you in a car today?” I’ll never tell you, “I can have you in this baby by five o’clock!” I’ll never ask, “can you make this decision, or do you have to go get your husband?” Let’s take break from cliché’s. Let’s cut out the noise. Let’s talk about roof decals and retro-funk, rallye lights and political spin. Let’s not do to each other what car sellers and car buyer always do. Let’s motor!"

Old 10-19-2008 | 03:13 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Dealers in general don't want used cars unless they're either A) darn near perfect or B) highly desirable. We had an F150 we wanted to lose in order to get our Clubman on order. Thankfully (?) the F150 was totalled in front of our shop one day by a driver who ran a stop sign and was driving with no license. Here's where the "thankfully" part comes in. They have to pay RETAIL as a replacement cost. I liked my truck, but looking forward to the Clubbie. Especially since I can't get the boy child outta the MCS!

Old 10-19-2008 | 03:30 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
KBB is a consumer thing. THe dealers use the black book. It is always thousands less and KBB. My 2003 SSR fully loaded new was 48K. In June this year they wanted to give me 14K for a perfectly garage queened vehicle. Sold it for 18K on my own and the KBB was 19.5. Sell it on your own. It is a real pain but you have to be willing to sacrifice some work to get a few more $$$ for your ride in my opinion. From here on out, I will always sell on my own.

Old 10-19-2008 | 04:53 PM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ART ED
KBB is a consumer thing. THe dealers use the black book. It is always thousands less and KBB. My 2003 SSR fully loaded new was 48K. In June this year they wanted to give me 14K for a perfectly garage queened vehicle. Sold it for 18K on my own and the KBB was 19.5. Sell it on your own. It is a real pain but you have to be willing to sacrifice some work to get a few more $$$ for your ride in my opinion. From here on out, I will always sell on my own.
Yep, I'm going to give it a go trying to sell it myself. The guy tried to talk me into ordering one yesterday when he suggested I sell on my own. No way am I going to order a car on the chance that I can sell mine before it comes in. Not in today's economy.
When/if mine sells, I'll order and hope for a quick delivery and we'll share a car in the interim.
Although I will probably use one of the other two dealers to purchase through.

Old 10-20-2008 | 06:17 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wannab drivin
Although I will probably use one of the other two dealers to purchase through.
Hrach is the only one who I would deal with at MOP. Although if you don't want to order there, I recommend Inskip over HC.

Old 10-20-2008 | 06:31 AM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Hrach is the only one who I would deal with at MOP. Although if you don't want to order there, I recommend Inskip over HC.
You know, Hrach sort of "covered" for the guy I was supposed to see while I was waiting. I set up an appointment, arrived right on time and was kept waiting for 30 minutes while "Salesguy 101" finished up with another customer (who also was there on an appointment), so I was irritated with him right off the bat. It only got worse.
Hrach was pretty funny, though. Much more likeable than "Salesguy 101".

Old 10-20-2008 | 06:58 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Hate to tell you this, but the KBB IS a "guideline" I have never heard of a deal made anywhere near KBB prices. Think a few grand less easily.
Dealers use the Galves book for trade-ins that they will wholesale. The difference between Galves and KBB prices for the same car could easily be $3-4K less.

MINI/BMW don't keep cars they trade-in in their own inventory. They are wholesaled immediately.

You're best bet is to definetelly sell it on your own, but then you lose the tax savings ... make sure you do the math as to what is worth doing. Time also = money.

Old 10-20-2008 | 02:39 PM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
Hate to tell you this, but the KBB IS a "guideline"
Are you a car salesman???

I know this and I don't think I was being unrealistic. Their offer was lower than the avg wholesale price, too.

But on the bright side, I've had two interested parties from my craigslist ad today.

It is much more of a PITA, though, but for $4-5 grand more I guess I can suck it up a bit.

Old 10-20-2008 | 02:58 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
not a car salesmean, but been around a few .

just to give you an idea ... my old 03 MC when it came time to sell was:

$14K on KBB
$13K my asking price
$9K offered at BMW/MINI
$10.5K offered by the craigslist crowd
$11.3K eventual trade in price from a Mazda dealer (which i drove for 9 months before getting the Clubman)

Old 10-20-2008 | 03:17 PM
renwickvh2
1st Gear
Lots of time!

If your planning on a build,I say jump in.The process is long and you will end up with plenty of time to sell the ride on your own.It took me 2 months to sell my truck but received the price I wanted,picked up a 93 Eagle for $800.00 to drive while I wait to pick up my Clubby Thumpr in mid Dec.(Food for thought only)

Old 10-20-2008 | 03:58 PM
wannab drivin
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
not a car salesmean, but been around a few .

just to give you an idea ... my old 03 MC when it came time to sell was:

$14K on KBB
$13K my asking price
$9K offered at BMW/MINI
$10.5K offered by the craigslist crowd
$11.3K eventual trade in price from a Mazda dealer (which i drove for 9 months before getting the Clubman)
Yep, mine is valued higher, but relatively around the same percentages.
I've set my asking price lower than KBB or NADA, am willing to negotiate a bit and will still come out far ahead of a trade with Mini.

I am about as comfortable ordering a car without first selling mine as I would be taking out a "bridge" mortgage. It just makes me too nervous.
I can wait the 8 weeks or whatever it takes. It will be a bit of a PITA to share a vehicle, but we can work it out.

I'd be thrilled if mine sells really quickly, though.

Old 10-20-2008 | 04:50 PM
awyrn
1st Gear
I received more than KBB (KBB trade value that is) on my trade in for my MINI (07 Honda Fit with 68,000 miles). Carmax offered $1000 less than the MINI dealership did. Wanted to sell on my own but work 2 jobs and didn't have the time so I took what they gave me and I am alright with that I guess. I did order it before I got offers for my trade and before I put it up for sale but it all worked out in the end. Good luck with the Clubman and selling your current car.

Old 10-20-2008 | 05:54 PM
Otra
6th Gear
wannab drivin, where there is a will there is usually a way. Best wishes on working out your financial situation and please let us know when the new Clubman arrives.