R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S Vs. Clubman JCW

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
jlittle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman S Vs. Clubman JCW

I'm still debating on the S or the JCW. I placed an order for a JCW. I still have plenty of time to change my mind, due to the fact that I'm 8th on the list for a production date on the JCW. They only release 1 or 2 a month per dealership. I have 2 kids, age 3 and 8. Will the JCW ride be too harsh for everyday or will it not make a difference? I can save money ordering an S and I can still order it with the Sport Package that will be available in December. But then again, will I regret not ordering the JCW. Do you think the S will be more reliable then the JCW? Decisions, Decisions. Help me out guys. What do you think?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
edjd
2nd Gear
LOL!..... just curious.... why would you regret NOT getting a JCW versus an S??? Due to the difference in horsepower? or exhaust sound? or ride variance?.......
If money is not a factor for you, then get the JCW and enjoy your ride as is...

BTW: forgot to add, the area your motoring in and the conditions of your area roads does enter the equation on whether the ride will be worse/better than you expect for either model w/ or w/o sport suspension,etc.......

Last edited by edjd; 10-21-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot btw;
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
jlittle
1st Gear
The better handling, bigger brakes, etc. Am I just being silly?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
edjd
2nd Gear
LOL!
not being silly, dont' get me wrong at all...but... what does your daily driving consist of, what do you envision you'll be doing w/ this car.... if your planning on doing some 'impromptu' horsing around vs. Nissan Z's, etc. then get the most cornering/brake/horsepower you can buy.... at least I would... BUT
if you want some zoom and spark and dont' envisioning taking corners at 80mph...then I don't see why you won't be as happy in a 'normal' S car, I mean how much 'doggin' of your car do you do on a daily basis versus occasionally.... again, if you have the money to spend, go for it...

most of my driving is 40+ mile commute each way, all highway (including traffic congestion areas of course ).... need some fun in my life, but don't need horsepower oomph! need maximimum mpg w/ alot of smiling along the way! ... but boy, if I had 15 mile commute w/ red lights/green lights along the way, I would probably get an 'S'..... if I was going to try to hit some tracks, maybe some friendly competition w/ friends porsche/corvette aka 'racing' + increasing my life insurance policy, I'd get the JCW !!!!

Thing is, alot of well meaning folks will give you a whole bunch of advice (me included) and in the end, its all your needs/wants and trying to balance that out with your expectations, especially with kids....... if you have kids, then I say, save the money, get the 'S' and have a great vacation they can remember w/ the saved difference......

Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
jlittle
1st Gear
Thanks edjd! I think you've given me some good advice. I like your point of view.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
+1 on edjd's advice I have owned 3 MINIs, the 1st two were MCs, the latest being a Clubman S. Believe me, the S has more than enough horsepower for most people. I drove a JCW Cabrio & it was almost too much for me to handle. And I'm an experienced MINI driver. It's funny hearing people worry about an S being not enough power for them. Go drive a non-S & you'll realize what I mean.

Lois

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
jedm3
2nd Gear
I bought an S and love it. However, I also test drove a JCW and if I had been willing to spend more than 30k I would have bought the JCW. Hoot to drive and very quick.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
edjd
2nd Gear
Go drive a non-S & you'll realize what I mean.

HEY stlouie, I resemble that remark!!! LOL!.... for my needs the non-s meets and suits my current lifestyle needs....

Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by edjd

HEY stlouie, I resemble that remark!!! LOL!.... for my needs the non-s meets and suits my current lifestyle needs....
My first 2 MINIs were "Only a Coopers" I had almost 6 years of sweet MINI happiness with them I wasn't slamming them. That would be a mortal sin coming from me I'm just saying that if he is concerned about the horsepower between an S & a JCW, he needs to drive a MC & compare also.

Lois

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by StLouieLo
My first 2 MINIs were "Only a Coopers" I had almost 6 years of sweet MINI happiness with them I wasn't slamming them. That would be a mortal sin coming from me I'm just saying that if he is concerned about the horsepower between an S & a JCW, he needs to drive a MC & compare also.

Lois
Ed/Lois are right on the money..I'm justa, and an auto on top of that, and it's still an amazing thrill to drive every day, go Sport Mode, and slice through town on steroids! I can understand folks wanting more and spending more, but I was taken by surprise in my non-S, which was purchased soley as gas-miser (as I couldn't bring myself to buy a Prius! )...I haven't even given gas much more thought, and drive like a maniac, the way the clubbie forces me to drive him (Pelle's fault!!). I think even a justa is more than enough for 95% of driving needs, and is a great balance between performance and fuel economy. The S adds a few percent more fun, subtracts a few mpg's, and adds to the bottom line. The JCW adds another few percent more fun, and an even larger bottom line, but the bragging rights don't come without some suffering! :D

The previous paragraph was a run-on thought on a simple concept: Test drive every type!
(I didn't even sit in one, much less test drive...and I think that alone may have saved me from the grueling wait others experience..I simply had no idea what I was getting in to...literally!)

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
lamonc
Neutral
I had an 03 MCS for several years and just recently got the 09 Clubman JCW. My commute is about 2 miles one way. I still love the fact that I can be at work in no time and even better be back home in less. Personally, I think the gas milage is not an issue between the two and I still get the fun of going on road trips on weekends thru the fun curves and growling exhaust notes. The bit of money is worth it. Spend the little bit of extra and get the fully loaded version.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I have a "JustaClubman" amd am contemplating upgrading to a Clubman S or JCW in the next 6 months or so. Is there really a larger turbo, different head gasket, and head (as advertised)....or is the JCW package just an ECU tune and a factory hp exhaust? Based on what I have heard, I would lean towards buying an S, and adding on the stage to MINI Madness kit for about 2k (225hp) vs paying 6500+ (208 hp) for the JCW package....thoughts?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Stig One
Banned
The factory jcw stage 2 is a complete all around pakage, the madness is just a canned ecu reflash and bolt on trinkets.

If you do go clubman s or clubman jcw get a rmw remote ecu reflash aka the jan tune.

Last edited by Stig One; 08-28-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
How much HP would the jan tune add to a stock s with a JCW Intake? (But no exhaust)

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
I had the non-S Clubman as a loaner for a couple of days. I only drove if fairly short distances around town, but I was impressed with the zippiness. It was quicker than I imagined, only having really driven the S Clubman.

When they came out with the JCW Clubman the year after I bought my MINI I had transient feelings of envy for those who had the opportunity to buy one. On more thoughtful reflection, I can't imagine what I would do with any more power than what I have. Heck, I might probably would have been happy with the non-S (not that I'm looking to make a trade ).

Old 08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Personally I liked the idea of having the baddest MINI on the block (the JCW), so that was a significant part of the equation for making that choice. I also like how it looks with very little in the way of external markings. S markings are bigger and more noticeable. The JCW oval markers front and rear are small and the only other noticeable thing are the red calipers. Very understated and the fact that it is Pure Silver/Horizon Blue makes it even stealthier. Plus, the exhaust note is different and very cool.

However, one thing that I don't really understand is that, with options, you can run the cost of an S up over $40,000. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
I personally wouldn't have bought a MINI unless it was a JCW. And now that I have one, I could never go less.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
I personally wouldn't have bought a MINI unless it was a JCW. And now that I have one, I could never go less.
I have a 2002 JCW R53 and I just bought my wife a 2009 JCW Clubman - absolutely no comparison between JUST AN S and a JCW! She loves it, and I love watching her drive it, wasting all kinds of other cars.
Simple advice - pay the extra for the JCW - then get a custom tine when the warranty is up.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
If you can afford it, go for it!!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
LV2CRNR
2nd Gear
I love my JCW clubman and it's my daily driver. Traded a 2006 Cooper S with Dinan engine package and 19% pulley with Wilwood BBK. The Jcw is better in every way. The ride is fine and I live in Virginia with some of the worst roads around. You can always do a JCW stage 1 kit to a S. Good luck with your decision.