R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Options: What's helpful/what's not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Options: What's helpful/what's not?

I'm looking to buy a Mini Clubman S and was looking thru this forum to see what opinions you owners have on the options Mini offers. If you don't mind, would you take a few minutes and list the options that you selected and give an opinion on each? Thanks...

Last edited by mbu; 10-26-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal thing

I believe you will find a lot of opinions on this issue. It depends where you live ,road conditions you expect to encounter. What conveniences are important... I went ClubmanS,Manual,Hardtop,Roof Rails.English Oak Interior,Leatherette Upholstery,16" Bridge Spokes and RunFlats. For me I was on the fence regarding...Wood MultiFunction Steering Wheel(CruiseControl). I believe now Iwould consider the Rear Fog Light(just so I don't have a vacant Toggle Switch slot). I am in California. I have never been real big on extras (gadgets) in my cars. I ordered my '95 4Runner with Manual crank windows...

Old 10-26-2008, 10:17 AM
IcedogSVL
1st Gear
I pieced together the Premium package without the sunroof...when I test drove the vehicle in July, I was baking because the cover that slides closed in the vehicle is a mesh and not solid. The vast majority of folks get the Sun Roof...I am an AC guy.

I am very pleased with the Ipod thing too but not for an Ipod...but for the USB input. I also am really happy I got the cold weather package as the heated seats in my Clubman work MUCH better than my former Infiniti. I am happy with the Conveinience package...waiting for the Anthracite headliner option to be dealer installed.

Glad I did NOT get the Sirius as whatever they put in now will not be able to get the newly creates XM/Sirius channels. Got the upgraded stereo and it is fine. Really like the bluetooth integration with my cell...not a fancy cell...but it works great.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Casey,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm like you and don't like things that really don't serve a useful purpose like paint stripes, etc. I live 250+ miles from a dealer so I just can't "pop in" to see what any particular option is really like....

One question I have is: What is an "Anthracite Headliner"? Is it just a typical headliner that is coal black or is it something that is made from a different material than the stock one?

Thanks...

Mike

Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
I understand it is a dark grey versus the light grey. Have also heard it can seem dark with tinted windows. For me the Stock interior is well thought out. I believe they use designers, who knows?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
My Lola has the premium pkg., cold weather package (can't live without those heated seats in CT), white turns, front fogs, 16" bridge-spoke wheels I-Pod/Bluetooth interface and HiFi stereo. I have the lounge leather interior and it is awesome...really comfy and beautiful too. I couldn't live without anything I picked. Some complain about the HiFi but mine is fine and I like to blast it. The only regret I have is not getting the rear fog lamp to fill up my toggle spaces and not getting the rain sensing wipers because there really is no intermittent wiper setting without it.

I've been motoring for a little over 2 weeks, have put 800 miles on her, and loving every second!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
MiniBoz
2nd Gear
I ended up with a lot of options and really should have gotten that rear fog light!

What do I love? Rain sensing wipers, cold weather package and convenience package.

Live without? Uh, I could live without all of them, but I splurged on my Clubman and haven't looked back.

Figure out your budget and go for what you can afford!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
I'm looking to buy a Mini Clubman and was looking thru this forum to see what opinions you owners have on the options Mini offers. If you don't mind, would you take a few minutes and list the options that you selected and give an opinion on each? Thanks...
Why don't you build a MINI, tell us what you selected for options, and we'll tell you if we think you missed anything or if we think you're wasting your money.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Otra
6th Gear
And then read this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=options. and this one too https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mittent+wipers

P.S. Jumboshrimp - there is an intermittent ability on the wipers - check out the manual or just fool around by pushing the little button on the end of the wiper stalk. It really does work. And it was great meeting you today at the MoFC Fall Foliage Run, too!

Last edited by Otra; 10-26-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: links and thoughts
Old 10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Thanks Tim, that sounds like a good idea...

This is what I'm thinking...

Mini Cooper Clubman S

Pepper white with the chrome interior/exterior trim;
Premium Package (I think this contains cruise control, sun roof, and the multifunction steering wheel.);

Standard wheels and tires;
Standard 6-speed transmission;
Limited Slip Differential;
Chrome interior/exterior;
Standard radio - (I don't listen to it too much since I'm getting old and love peace and quiet but love country music!);
Leatherette interior - ( I was thinking of getting a light colored leather but it sounds like it would take too much care. Comments?);

...I think that's it.

The reason I'm looking at the Mini is that I think the lines of the car are classic and will stay in style forever - no matter what the year. I have never traded in any car I have ever owned so I try and choose a car that'll be with me forever - I hope the Mini will do just that!

By the way... Is the cruise control included in the Premium Package?

Okay, guys...let me know your opinions!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
cruise control is included in the Multifunction wheel which comes in premium package. Limited Slip is good if you race around.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by casey morgan
cruise control is included in the Multifunction wheel which comes in premium package. Limited Slip is good if you race around.
...so Limited Slip won't help on snow?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
If I could jump into the WayBack machine, I'd do without the sunroof.
It's too damn hot in Texas; it was only $500 as part of the Premium Package.
I have to tint the sunroof with Limo Tint or some other blackout.

Color is another way to save $500.

Pepper White/Black or Silver looks great as does Chili Red/Black.

PAY FOR CONVENIENT ACCESS. Not having to insert a key in the ignition is priceless!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM
timubik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
...so Limited Slip won't help on snow?
Based purely on MiniUSA's marketing info, the LSD helps with high-speed cornering. The Dynamic Traction Control sounds more like what you want in slippery conditions like snow. I'm not sure whether DTC's ELDC trumps the mechanical Limited Slip Diff if both options are installed . . .

Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by timubik
.... The Dynamic Traction Control sounds more like what you want in slippery conditions like snow. I'm not sure whether DTC's ELDC trumps the mechanical Limited Slip Diff if both options are installed . . .
Tim,

I didn't see the DTC option...I'll have to look it up!

Last edited by mbu; 10-26-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Based purely on MiniUSA's marketing info, the LSD helps with high-speed cornering. The Dynamic Traction Control sounds more like what you want in slippery conditions like snow. I'm not sure whether DTC's ELDC trumps the mechanical Limited Slip Diff if both options are installed . . .
DSC is standard in all Clubman You can not eliminate it.

If you live in an area that gets snow (not just an inch or two) i would recommend getting the LSD. I have found that there are times when the DSC just needs to be turned off to get the car to move.

I.E. you are on a slight incline and one wheel is on ice and the other is on snow. The DSC will apply the brakes to the tire on ice and put more power to the wheel on snow but as that starts to spin the DSC will reduce the engine revs to keep it form spinning thus eliminating the ability to get anywhere. Turn off the DSC and let the engine rev up and with the LSD the car will move. With out LSD the car will just sit there and spin the tire on ice.

The only problem I see is that the new LSD is electronic not mechanical (at least that is wh i am told by Mini) which means that it probably will not work quite as well, but i still better in some situations than the DSC

As for other options it sounds like you have chosen the options that suit you.

But i must say the Conv. Package is really nice when i am carrying stuff out to the car and need to open a door. No trying to get the key out of you pocket with arms full of goodies. Just press the button on the front door handle and then one finger in the handle just enough to pull the switch that opens the door. Easy Easy Easy.

Edit: Chagned all instances of DTC to DSC as that is what i was talking about.

Last edited by schatzy62; 10-27-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
You need to add a rear fog light. I highly recommend it for two reasons: 1. You might find yourself on top of Mt. Washington on a very foggy day/night, it will help the car following you down the mountain. And 2. You will be very annoyed when you're toggle bank is missing a switche. It's $100, a small price to pay to not be annoyed every time you look at that bank of toggles.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
I agree with Tim,wish I knew of the empty slot mine will have before ordering. However it is possible to get the switch installed later or put a sticker there that says"oops"

Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
timubik
2nd Gear
DSC vs. DTC

Originally Posted by schatzy62
DTC is standard in all Clubman You can not eleiminate it.
Shatzy - I think you are talking about Dynamic Stabilitity Control (DSC). Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is indeed an option starting in Dec 2008 production. They are related in that DTC takes over when you turn off DSC (and you can turn both off leaving only the ELDC to keep your wheels from spinning too much). I only know this because I'm one of those waiting to place an order and obsessively reading the MiniUSA specs.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
mbu
4th Gear
DSC and DTC...

Okay, I'm a little lost now. DSC is standard and I understand how that works - but I can't find any information on the DTC option on the Mini site. Maybe that option, like suggested, may be offered on the new builds in December.

In the meantime, would someone mind taking the time and explain exactly what DTC will do and how it's different than just adding the Limited Slip Differential?

Thanks...

Mike

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM
timubik
2nd Gear
Hi Mike,

DTC came out with this year's JCWs - see the Safety section in the press release: http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/07/...orks-in-depth/ (a search on the JCW forums may turn up some more details too)

On MiniUSA's site - look at the Pricing & Full Features list and DTC is under the "Handling, Ride & Braking" section.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
DSC - now that it is standard, you're good to go on that....and it comes w/ hill assist!! (assuming you drive a manual)

MFSW - this is important to have if only for the CD/radio controls (I never use cruise). Helps to keep your attention on the road and hands on the wheel. Simplifies use of the audio system, too.

Sport Seats - I have them, I love them, but then again, they fit my bum. Not essential though, depending on anatomical considerations.

Fogs, front and rear - not really a need except for toggles.

English Oak trim - very nice but there's dozens of ways to design an interior.

That's it...I got/want no other options. Cars great!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Brother_Bluto
2nd Gear
If you live in an area that gets any snow, lots of rain, ice, etc... you'll want LSD. While Mini's marketing of LSD is technically accurate, in very basic terms - if the drive wheel loses traction, the LSD will divert power to the other wheel. LSD is very common among 2WD vehicles.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Shatzy - I think you are talking about Dynamic Stabilitity Control (DSC). Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is indeed an option starting in Dec 2008 production. They are related in that DTC takes over when you turn off DSC (and you can turn both off leaving only the ELDC to keep your wheels from spinning too much). I only know this because I'm one of those waiting to place an order and obsessively reading the MiniUSA specs.
Yes you are correct in the DTC/DSC mistake i made. I will go back and change My post.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
accel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
If you live in an area that gets snow (not just an inch or two) i would recommend getting the LSD.
My family have owned 4 FWD cars in a row and I beleive high performance front wheel drive cars need to be LSD equpped. That's it. Otherwise it's not a high performance car. Just a badge. Just for looks. So I'd say COOPER S has to have one, just a COOPER - optional.

I'm saying this because all my cars had no LSD, but I recently upgraded one car to have aftermarket Quaife LSD. After that I think I will not have another FWD without one and ordered COOPER S for my wife with LSD option.

It's not just for the snow. It is easy to spin the right wheel without special effort just in regular traffic if it has enough power, which is definitely the case for S. Add rain to that. Add conditions like San Francisco hills when you need to start the car moving uphill.

Now, from reading the forum I realize the OEM LSD is not considered to be the best one and many preffer to go aftermarket with Quaife. But be warned that for $500 its a steal. And you should have it unless you want to be very serious racer.

It cost me around $650 to get used Quaife (new one is around 1000) and then around $1400 for the install. This is not a simple process and each time sombody gets under the hood there's a chance to break something. In my case Cruise control is not working properly anymore.

So - get this $500 option and you'll be more confident even in everyday driving.

Quick Reply: R55 Options: What's helpful/what's not?