R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Jalopnik reviews the Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Flytime
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jalopnik reviews the Clubman

http://jalopnik.com/5067242/2009-min...man-s-part-two

a not so good review of the Clubman . I really can't agree with much of what is said here. Regarding the handling comments, perhaps their model didn't come with the sport suspension parkage.
And the weight, there is not that much difference in the weight of the coop vs clubman. I think they are letting generalities of the physical differences bias their driving.

In general I am not so impressed with many auto blogs of today.

Last edited by Flytime; 10-29-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 AM
buddylove
1st Gear
Ya, if you look at the first part of the review, they tear it apart in that one also. I just think its another individual who doesn't like the design and let it affect their review.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flytime
In general I am not so impressed with many auto blogs of today.
Agreed...it's one opinion against another and there are plenty of them out there these days.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 AM
srahaim
2nd Gear
I've never found Jalopnik reviews (opinions) to be very valuable. I'll check out their site for the photos but they have their favorite cars and everything else must neccesarily be crap.

If you've ever test driven a clubbie S and a MCS back-to-back, they're almost indistiguishable in performance. I don't even find the ride that much different.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Well, I kinda agree with a lot of what he said, if you are evaluating it as a performance car. If you drive it without hitting the sport button and with the DSC engaged it can be quite uninspiring.

And, if you step from a modified WRX into a Clubbie (or MC) it will feel a bit slow.

I also noted that they chose to load up the car ($32k) so they could compare it to other cars that are pricier.

Kinda like he took it for a test drive for a couple of minutes.

charlie

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by portablevcb
took it for a test drive for a couple of minutes.
I saw another review somewhere where the writer drove an R56 MCS (and loved it), but then complained about the radio on/off **** being away from the rest of the sound system controls. It was obvious (and slightly discrediting) that he didn't even know the car well enough to grasp that the diplay in the speedo was about lots more than the audio (such as OBC, bluetooth). These guys really need to know what limb they are going out on before they choose to saw it off.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
hyzenthlay
1st Gear
We own a Jeep liberty, which many panned for trying to be a road car and a 4x4 vehicle and doing neither well. But we love it for being a road car and a 4x4 and doing both well enough to suit us.

The mini has the drivability of a sports car but enough utility to make it useful for our family. It does both well enough to suit us.

Auto magazines don't like cars that don't have a sharp focus. They must be fast, or sturdy, or cheap, but sacrifice any speed for utility and the abomination must be trashed. (Plus they are so sold on the swept back sport car styling right now that nothing else will make them happy.)

Last edited by hyzenthlay; 10-29-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
In these days of internet mags the reporters are getting less and less reliable. Most seem it is their place to say something dramatic just to get attention. I think many of them have driven a few minutes in a lot of different cars so consider themselves qualified to judge them. I guess it is a good gig. Go around and test drive everything you can get your hands on, then spend a few minutes writing up a one pager.

For real reviews I still rely on the printed magazines with reviewers whose experience I have followed for many years. Despite their tendency to rate expensive cars higher, R&T is still my 'go to' car mag.

charlie

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
timubik
2nd Gear
There are actually three parts to the Jalopnik reviews -meh (all by "interns" trying their best to channel Jeremy Clarkson)

They aren't always so vitriolic. Earlier this month Jalopnik named the base Clubman to a top 10 list of cars for a weekend trip: http://jalopnik.com/5058808/ten-best...l-weekend-trip

And there is my favorite post from the summer with the Clubman vs. go kart video: http://jalopnik.com/399035/mini-club...versus-go-kart

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
HutchMHK
1st Gear
I defended our brand new Clubbie in the comments in part 1 That'll show 'em!

------------------------------
Too new to have a sig

Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that makes me scratch my head is under the performance review: the said (and I quote!): We really miss the supercharged MINI engine of old.

What? Have they REALLY tested an older, original MINI? I strongly doubt it. Like a few you said, it seems they have an axe to grind with the Clubman and bash it just because they can. I wonder what kind of cars they drive. For a FRONT wheel drive car, the Clubman S has pretty good performance. Also, the longer wheelbase irons out bumps better. I test drove both the Cooper and the Clubman. And their whining about the plastic on the interior? Well, almost all vehicles out on the market today have cheap, cruddy plastic whether it's Honda, Volvo, GM or Mercedes. I speak from experience. Believe me, the Clubman's interior materials are FAR ahead of what you'd expect for the price range. A case: my '00 Intrepid had to have the sun visor clips, door sill trim and a few other parts replaced because they were made from very cheap, crummy plastic that cracked in the sun. Also, the air deflector over the sunroof broke. The Clubman is wayyyy ahead in terms of quality.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Formula Fun
1st Gear
That review is a joke.

Why would you evaluate the car as a 'performance car', with a tester that has an automatic transmission?

I doubt that they actually even had the car as a tester. From what I can see, the photos show a manual, but they said that it's an auto...?

Just another bunch of idiots commenting on a car they probably haven't even seen upclose or driven.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
So, it's just another dirt bag review.
Most of us owners laugh at those who badmouth the Clubman.

How many people are greeted with questions from OTHER car owners in mall parking lots?! 65' Vette and the Clubman, that's who.

Reviewers are by nature negative and I avoid them.
All I have to say is "Over 30 mpg combined!" to a truck owner who scoffs at me and I can count on his little Mrs. to hit him in the arm.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Micro_thauma
1st Gear
I wouldn't pay attention to reviews like this one. Just ask those like me who have test driven Clubbies sooooo many times, but can't get one yet

Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by hyzenthlay
We own a Jeep liberty, which many panned for trying to be a road car and a 4x4 vehicle and doing neither well. But we love it for being a road car and a 4x4 and doing both well enough to suit us.
I love my Jeep Liberty too!

Anyway, I didn't like that review at all, they wasted so much time talking about Hell Michigan and everything else. Not a worthy review of anything in my opinion...

Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Flytime
2nd Gear
Did they read what they wrote???

If this car is soooo bad, then how come its selling for over MSRP in many places and in a market/economy that is sooo down that even Honda/Toyota sales are down?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 AM
Apple
6th Gear
I myself never had love for the club at all, but everyone has a opinion , I also have hate for Toyotas, all but the prius

Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
all but the prius
You haved to admit though, it is one of the ugliest cars on the road....a mini-Aztek!!!! Saddest of all is that folks are getting used to it's ghastly appearance. So much for maintaining our cultural aesthetic sensibilities.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
mdot
2nd Gear
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL @ Jalopnik ... their entire modus operani is to be controversial and raise eyebrows ... I actually agree with most things they said (except for the handlign part)

and if you look at the photos, the testers in question look like kids intheir late teend at best ... at that age I was inclined to like balsier/rawer cars myself.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
ebh
2nd Gear
I just can't believe they really think the clubman lacks on curves compared to an R56. Almost every other reviewer out there says the cars are extremely similar in handling. Maybe the R56 has a slight edge, but you have to be a little crazy to deny that the Clubman also has excellent handling skills in the twisties. Maybe it's just R53 snobbery, or dislike of Mini in general.

They also picked one of the less sporty configs if that was what they were looking for--both the auto tranny and sunroof add weight to the package.

Anyway, I'll stick to reviewers like Dan Neil at the LA Times who are good writers and know a thing or two about cars. Plus, he called the Clubman "a bigger, better Mini."

Anyway, I don't think jalopnik is for me. I got the Mini for the combination of fun factor, performance and gas mileage, which is a tough package to come by. If all you want is the cheapest ***** to the wall car you can find, then obviously the Clubman isn't it.