R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Extended MINI service

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the time I ordered my MINI, the dealership was offering the extended 100K maintenance for $1400. While I had the next ~ 5 weeks waiting for my MINI, I checked with a co-worker that bought his MINI from another dealer. He paid $1550 for that ext mtn. My thought at the time was that maintenance costs are only going to go up and chances were that 3 years from now, the $1400 would seem like an okay deal. So, when I picked up my MINI, I decided to get the extended maintenance. It was then explained to me that they had recently raised the cost of the maintenance to $1550 (same as the other dealership). However, since a number of individuals that ordered cars were also quoted weeks earlier $1400, they were honoring that price. Whether it turns out to be a good deal, time will tell. But at least I felt I did $150 better than it would have been if I had shopped for a new MINI 5 weeks later.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
jrm175
1st Gear
Extended Maintenance

I bought my Mini Cooper S August 2008 and purchased the extended warranty for approx 1600. The salesman told me the first major maintenance after the orginial warranty runs out is approx 800 dollars. I'm sure it could be done for less. I have never bought it before on any other cars but I thought I'd try it.
I hit a deer last month and roadside assistance had a truck to pick up my car in a little over an hour and hauled it from Knoxville, Tn to Greenville, SC at no charge. Does the extended maintenance cover roadside assistance?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of assumptions involved. We are assuming they cover brakes, tires, and clutches. The fine print for the scheduled maintenance says that they will only replace if the wear is faster than the MINI spec- whatever that is. We are assuming that you would go to the dealership for service instead of a cheaper (and often times better) alternative or doing it yourself. Oil, brakes (if covered), and spark plugs are very easy to change. You have to follow the MINI service schedule. I wouldn't for the oil change interval or any fluid they say is "lifetime".

Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jrm175
I bought my Mini Cooper S August 2008 and purchased the extended warranty for approx 1600. The salesman told me the first major maintenance after the orginial warranty runs out is approx 800 dollars. I'm sure it could be done for less. I have never bought it before on any other cars but I thought I'd try it.
Did you get extended warranty or extended maintenance, because they aren't the same thing. An extended warranty won't cover your $800 maintenance inspection.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
jrm175
1st Gear
Extended Maintenance

I purchased the extended maintenance upgrade.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeM3768
... I stopped her and asked her if they are offered by BMW or Mini and she said no, some company that I believe starts with the letter F.
Ah, Fred's Warranties Ltd. Building dealer profits since 2008.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
Thanks to all for the input. The dealer came down to $1495 (which was the lowest price I could find calling other MINI dealers) we got it. My wife liked the idea of not haveing to worry about who was working on here car and if planning to have work done at the dealer the cost seems like a good deal. By the way the prices I was quoted ranged from $1495 to $2295 for the same plan.
Would you mind sharing the name of the dealership that sold you the extended maintenance for $1495? I am getting close to 36K miles and thinking of buying the extended maintenance.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
jrm175
1st Gear
I purchased my extened service contract from the Mini Dealer in Greenville, SC when i purchased my 2008.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by uzun
Would you mind sharing the name of the dealership that sold you the extended maintenance for $1495? I am getting close to 36K miles and thinking of buying the extended maintenance.
That price was from http://www.atlantamini.com/ in october we just got a seond mini in march but did not have the money to get the service contract at this point but they said it would be available for a simular price. I thing http://www.miniofsouthatlanta.com/ also had it for around 1500. good luck

Old 07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
scotman
2nd Gear
I do put a lot of miles on my Clubman so this plan might not be such a bad idea.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
uzun
4th Gear
That price was from http://www.atlantamini.com/ in october we just got a seond mini in march but did not have the money to get the service contract at this point but they said it would be available for a simular price. I thing http://www.miniofsouthatlanta.com/ also had it for around 1500. good luck
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked up my MINI Clubman. Do any of you with other MINI's think it is worth ?1700 to have the free Maintenance go 6 years 100K?
Better to just wait it out and see if the car is worth keeping, y'll know so by the end of the 3 year/36 FSM coverage.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Alphawave
I gotta complain! /sigh, I know, I know...not another!

I just came (July 3rd) from my second service(my final freebie), and while it was a perfect experience rivaling my first, I was disappointed that nothing more happened than a scope, at 30K, as my last freebie service. I mentioned the quibble about Pelle's sunroof occasionally sticking, and they 'adjusted' the panels per a tech bulletin, and they washed Pelle (half-hearted, but what the hey, it's not a detailing car wash joint). I asked about oil, and of course it's not scheduled until 38K (so not free)..so all this goings on about free maintenance for 3yr/36K is summed up in a single oil change, and a scope, I guess. At least they could rotate tires, but MINI doesn't consider that covered maintenance. I suppose I should be delighted I have a worry-free, reliable car (and I truly am!), but I'm left wondering about the value of the 3year/36K scheduled maintenance, when I'm inclined to change my own oil (aside from the 1 freebie), top up my own fluids, and rotate my own tires, and replace my own wipers far more regularly than I could coax MINI even if I were to make it a full 3 years.

I'll be happy to take Pelle to my local mechanic after 36K, and think MINI's maintenance falls well short of my own expectations, definitely not worth extending contractually, nor paying a premium to do so.

Last edited by Alphawave; 07-11-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
I gotta complain! /sigh, I know, I know...not another!

I just came (July 3rd) from my second service(my final freebie), and while it was a perfect experience rivaling my first, I was disappointed that nothing more happened than a scope, at 30K, as my last freebie service. I mentioned the quibble about Pelle's sunroof occasionally sticking, and they 'adjusted' the panels per a tech bulletin, and they washed Pelle (half-hearted, but what the hey, it's not a detailing car wash joint). I asked about oil, and of course it's not scheduled until 38K (so not free)..so all this goings on about free maintenance for 3yr/36K is summed up in a single oil change, and a scope, I guess. At least they could rotate tires, but MINI doesn't consider that covered maintenance. I suppose I should be delighted I have a worry-free, reliable car (and I truly am!), but I'm left wondering about the value of the 3year/36K scheduled maintenance, when I'm inclined to change my own oil (aside from the 1 freebie), top up my own fluids, and rotate my own tires, and replace my own wipers far more regularly than I could coax MINI even if I were to make it a full 3 years.

I'll be happy to take Pelle to my local mechanic after 36K, and think MINI's maintenance falls well short of my own expectations, definitely not worth extending contractually, nor paying a premium to do so.
How come you did not get a second oil change at 30k, isn't 15k or 1 year? My wife burns through brakes, so I am hoping a brake job and a 60k, 90K type of maintenance will help pay for the extended maintenance. Hopefully the clutch will also die within 100k

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by rasputinj
How come you did not get a second oil change at 30k, isn't 15k or 1 year?
Was told it wasn't due, per MINI, until 38K (naturally 2K after the maintenance service commitment). I indeed performed my own first oil change, displeased with leaving the virgin/break-in oil in the crankcase for 18K+ (per MINI) miles. They changed my oil once, at the 18K+ miles first service, but that's it. What if I never drove Pelle, and had only 22K miles at year 3...would I still have only received that single oil change? /a question for the SA, I suppose!

My wife burns through brakes, so I am hoping a brake job and a 60k, 90K type of maintenance will help pay for the extended maintenance. Hopefully the clutch will also die within 100k
Hahahaha..you sound like me...WANTING things to break just so we can get'em fixed under warranty! I have my suspicions, but you should really call your SA, and get him to commit answers on paper, rather than a sales job 'sure, we do that' pitch...maybe even via email, as that would be proof.
I got a checklist of the things done on my final freebie visit, and it wasn't much...I feel like I drove Pelle all the way there for a half-assed car wash, and a 'scope' which I think was more to reset the maintenance schedule on Pelle's computer. And, why 36K miles coverage, when the final visit is really 30K, am I missing a final visit (my manual is buried somewhere), or did I mishear the SA when he said next is 38K, which Pelle's 'puter reflects?

edit: to be perfectly clear, I adore Pelle, love MINI, and even like my dealership service experience, I currently want no other car. I just question the veracity/efficacy of the MINI maintenance coverage..it was indeed a large component of my buying decision, and this is the one area I feel hasn't met my expectations. It's great...great...that we can have little to complain about on our MINI's (like that doesn't stop us! ), and we indeed may need a brain-shift regarding maintenance, as we may be accustomed to much higher-maintenance vehicles (Dodge, Ford, VW,etc.), but I'm uncomfortable accepting (mislead is too strong a word) MINI's definitions of requirements/schedules. I suppose it's my own fault for not researching the fine print, but MANY of us are also disillusioned into thinking 'hey, why worry, MINI changes (plural) the oil for you/does all the maintenance for you for 3 years/36K' when mine summed up in a single oil change and a scope.

Last edited by Alphawave; 07-11-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i'm purchasing mine when my mini card shows up from the credit card people. i figured, why give them cash when i can get some (small) amount of "money" back!

as a club member at my dealer it's 1495..must be a magic number as that's as low as i've heard of.

i'm amazed at the lack of publication there is on this "product" no one seems quite sure what is and isn't covered. sure, oil, "inspections", brakes, wipers...but i've hear a lot of questions on the clutch coverage, etc..

i want it in black and white from mini on the site or a paper when i pay for it. we'll see what i get when the card arives

Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 AM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Was told it wasn't due, per MINI, until 38K (naturally 2K after the maintenance service commitment). I indeed performed my own first oil change, displeased with leaving the virgin/break-in oil in the crankcase for 18K+ (per MINI) miles. They changed my oil once, at the 18K+ miles first service, but that's it. What if I never drove Pelle, and had only 22K miles at year 3...would I still have only received that single oil change? /a question for the SA, I suppose!

Hahahaha..you sound like me...WANTING things to break just so we can get'em fixed under warranty! I have my suspicions, but you should really call your SA, and get him to commit answers on paper, rather than a sales job 'sure, we do that' pitch...maybe even via email, as that would be proof.
I got a checklist of the things done on my final freebie visit, and it wasn't much...I feel like I drove Pelle all the way there for a half-assed car wash, and a 'scope' which I think was more to reset the maintenance schedule on Pelle's computer. And, why 36K miles coverage, when the final visit is really 30K, am I missing a final visit (my manual is buried somewhere), or did I mishear the SA when he said next is 38K, which Pelle's 'puter reflects?

edit: to be perfectly clear, I adore Pelle, love MINI, and even like my dealership service experience, I currently want no other car. I just question the veracity/efficacy of the MINI maintenance coverage..it was indeed a large component of my buying decision, and this is the one area I feel hasn't met my expectations. It's great...great...that we can have little to complain about on our MINI's (like that doesn't stop us! ), and we indeed may need a brain-shift regarding maintenance, as we may be accustomed to much higher-maintenance vehicles (Dodge, Ford, VW,etc.), but I'm uncomfortable accepting (mislead is too strong a word) MINI's definitions of requirements/schedules. I suppose it's my own fault for not researching the fine print, but MANY of us are also disillusioned into thinking 'hey, why worry, MINI changes (plural) the oil for you/does all the maintenance for you for 3 years/36K' when mine summed up in a single oil change and a scope.

MY sister's 2004 only has 21,000 miles on it... and yes, all she got was two free oil changes, coolant and brake fluid change. but no Inspection one. it does seem like a rip for those of us who drive very few miles per year.