R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Am I missing something? Like a jack and lug wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
GeorgeM3768
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I missing something? Like a jack and lug wrench?

All,

Just picked up my 2009 Clubman this past Saturday and finally had time to look more around the car and noticed that in the wheel well there is a piece of styrofoam with inserts and they are all pretty much empty. So I looked in the owners manual and apparently I am missing the floor jack and lug wrench. Does your 2009 with run flats come the same way?

I thought I would ping the group before I go back to my MA because I know what his answer will be so in case I am missing something I would like to have others confirm.

While I understand no spare due to run flats, my wife's Crossfire (Mercedes with Chrysler badge) with run flats has no spare but does have a jack, lug wrench, can of snot, and a compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Thanks,
George

Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
You should have a jack and lug wrench.
Double check what's in there.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
I saw a friend's Clubman a few weeks ago (thus the hazy memory), but you might have to look deep. I think there's a secret secret compartment (think double-decker) where the jack and lug wrench hang out.

Or my memory failed me again...

Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
GeorgeM3768
1st Gear
Yes, there is a 'secret compartment'. You have to lift an accordian cover and then there is a flat board covering the wheel well to hold a spare. In this well there is a styrofoam piece with sections to hold different items. According to the 2009 owners manual, the two of the sections are used for the jack and lug wrench. Mine are empty.

So I called ASK-MINI and talked to a guy to inquire and was told that because I have run flats there is no jack or lug wrench for performance and safety reasons. Give me a break. Where do they hire these people?

If anyone with an actual 2009 Clubman with runflats could please check theirs and let me know if you have a jack and lug wrech in the styrofoam piece in the rear wheel well I would appreciate it.

I did not ask but I wonder if I would of ordered all seasons if they would of had to give a donut, jack and lug wrench.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 PM
lotsie
Banned
Our 08 Clubman with performance 17" run flats has a jack and wrench. Not sure about the 09's though, sorry.

Mark

Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Ours also does not have the lug wrench or jack..

Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
treedog
1st Gear
How about a tool box? I have a 2008 Clubman, have the jack and lug, but I thought I read something about a tool box and first aid kit?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
Do you have an S model?

I have a Justa (non-S) - albeit with optional 16" wheels and runflats - and I do have a jack and donut spare, as would a Justa with standard wheels and nonrunflats. The "toolkit" seems to be a screwdriver and a couple of bits packed into the styrofoam block. No first aid kit that I see.

Last edited by Barley; 10-29-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Jumping to conclusions about spare vs jack and toolkit
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeorgeM3768
If anyone with an actual 2009 Clubman with runflats could please check theirs and let me know if you have a jack and lug wrech in the styrofoam piece in the rear wheel well I would appreciate it.
yes I have them, and you SHOULD have them!! I forgot to tighten the lugs one morning after I had swapped out some LEDS for the running lights, thank goodness the wrench was in there!!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by treedog
How about a tool box? I have a 2008 Clubman, have the jack and lug, but I thought I read something about a tool box and first aid kit?
I remember reading something that informed that the tool box and first aid kit were only for cars delivered in Europe or the U.K.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Our 09 Clubbie S does not have a lug wrench or jack. We have the std run flats.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Same here, our 2009 Clubman S came with 16 inch Run Flats, but no lug wrench or jack.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Does anyone know if this truly is the latest MINI policy - no wrench or jack for the 2009 S versions? Please tell me it isn't company policy.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 AM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Same here. Clubbie S, no jack or lug wrench. Told by MA on pick up that 09's with runflats did not get jacks etc..

Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
This is a bit OT, but can someone explain how "runflats" work? I'd never heard of them before looking into the MINIs. And are all standard tire choices on the '09 Clubman, i.e., all-seasons, runflats?

Thanks

No jack or wrench seems pretty cheesy to me.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wannab drivin
This is a bit OT, but can someone explain how "runflats" work? I'd never heard of them before looking into the MINIs. And are all standard tire choices on the '09 Clubman, i.e., all-seasons, runflats?

Thanks

No jack or wrench seems pretty cheesy to me.
Runflat tires have very stiff sidewalls so the tire can support itself for up to 80 miles without air. However, driving for any significant distance without air in them will compromise their integrity so the tire should be replaced.

Yes, no jack or wrench is cheesy and MINI has briefly pulled this crap before and then relented and added the jack and wrench back.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
I have an 09 S with no jack or lug wrench. I had wondered about this, too. Should we start to raise hell?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
I guess I may the one man out here. The only time I used the cheap jacks and tools in a vehicle are when I have had a flat (twice in 6 years and over 200,000 mi). So, if I have run flats why would I want a cheap set of tools taking up space in my car. I do keep a small set of tools in each car, fit under the drivers seat (screwdriver set, adj wrench, assorted pliers, bailing wire).

When I rotate tires or remove them for some other reason I have a good set of tools to do that, floor jack, impact wrench, and torque wrench.

In the old days I used to pack a comprehensive tool kit when I went on long trips. With car reliability the way it is these days I stopped that practice and just keep a roadside assistance plan. I did use it once when a car battery died on me.

We use the tire space in our Clubbie for luggage space on trips. Found a nice duffle bag that fits just right. Got rid of the foam thing that's in there.

charlie

Old 10-30-2008, 04:07 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
I just confirmed the contents on my Clubman S' lower storage section:
1) Jack
2) Lug Wrench
3) Screw Driver
4) O hook for removal of hub cover(shouldn't be there for my wheels)
5) Bottle of Moet Champagne(not really)

It seems Mini is consistently inconsistent on what they put in the styrofoam packaging.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
GeorgeM3768
1st Gear
Portablevcb,

I am very much the same as you in respect to tools and mechanical abilities. Over the last 11 years I have replace pretty my everthing that bolts to the block of my Ford F250 Diesel. I also use an impact wrench and floor jacks whenever possible at home.

When I ordered the car and I found out that there was no spare due to run flats I figured I would still get a spare as there is a well for one. I drive way out in the boonies serveral times a year (look up Rock Springs TX and go about another 25 miles west and 20 miles south). If I have a flat out there at 4am on a Sunday morning it would not last to make it back to civilization and I prefer not to wait who knows how many hours for roadside assitance when I can change a flat in about 20 minutes and be on my way again.

It is all about a matter of c[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']onvenience. Some people don't mind waiting for road side assistance or asking someone to follow them and give them a ride because they have to drop the car off to get a flat fixed. Not me. I prefer to get to point B as soon as I can and I prefer to just drop a tire off to be fixed and pick it up later. For me it much easier that way. To each his own.[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']So, I know I will get no where with Mini on the issue so I will go get a jack and a spare. I have a 17mm socket and breaker bar. Life goes on, this is just a minor [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']disappointment but one that I tell to others and will continue to do so going forward when asking about the car.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']All that said, my wife and I really do enjoy the car so far and plan to keep it at least for the warranty period. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Thanks,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']George[/FONT][/FONT]

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
George, I think plenty of us will replace the run flats with regular radials, when it's time. We need a donut and the jack/tools.

Dealers quote around $1400 for run flats. Even alternate websites and sellers will cost around $1000. The ride will be quite a bit smoother.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
GeorgeM3768
1st Gear
Dragon Wagon,

Excellant point as I plan going to regular tires as well once these wear out as in reality a flat tire does not happen that often. Just that when it does it is never at a good time.

I did not create this post to bash Mini. I do not regret this purchase. I put this out there for those like me who would read this forum while configuring a car or waiting for it to built. Hopefully with this information people will know what they get if they order run flats or will order all seasons and push their MA to find out if a car with all seasons comes with a donut, jack and lug wrench.

Thanks,
George

Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeorgeM3768
Portablevcb,

When I ordered the car and I found out that there was no spare due to run flats I figured I would still get a spare as there is a well for one.
So, if I have a spare, am I using standard or run-flat tires? After reading this thread, I opened up the back doors. I lifted the floor cover, unhooked the cargo net and lifted the other cover. There was a huge styrofoam (WTF? Are they cutting corners at MINI?) tray with a JACK and some miscellaneous tools as well as my tow hook. After some fussing, I was able to tilt the foam insert to get it out and, yep, I have a spare tire. Is the spare a run-flat?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
So, if I have a spare, am I using standard or run-flat tires? After reading this thread, I opened up the back doors. I lifted the floor cover, unhooked the cargo net and lifted the other cover. There was a huge styrofoam (WTF? Are they cutting corners at MINI?) tray with a JACK and some miscellaneous tools as well as my tow hook. After some fussing, I was able to tilt the foam insert to get it out and, yep, I have a spare tire. Is the spare a run-flat?
If you have a donut spare you have non runflats, I would assume you also have a JustaClubman instead of the S, I do not believe you can get the S without run flats. I am getting new rims next week and will put non runflats on them.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
I have runflats AND a spare. (The spare itself is not a runflat.)

This is because I ordered a Justa with optional upgraded wheels. The Justa part is the reason, as the base car comes with non-runflats and a spare. Upgrading the wheels didn't change that. My impression was as rasputinj noted, that all versions of the 'S' came with runflats.

Quick Reply: R55 Am I missing something? Like a jack and lug wrench?