R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New roof rack base support for vehicles with roof rail option

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although we've been using the roof rails with MINI's cross bars, I hadn't remembered to take any shots with the Thule "Excursion" box on top so here's a photo: and a link to several more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/se...424061/detail/

This Thule box is shorter but has quite a bit of depth and holds a number of suitcases, boogie boards, beach chairs and whatever else you might need to bring along on a trip.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Taken from the other thread:
Originally Posted by Coney
Thanks Otra, those photos really helped. According to Yakima the ideal gap between the front and rear crossbar should be 30-32 inches for longer objects like sea kayaks. Can I assume I can place the crossbars anywhere along the length of the rails or are there factors in the design that would reduce flexibility. The antennae would not have to be removed. The kayaks are 23 inches wide and are placed over the passenger and driver positions of the car, the antennae would pop up between them. Also the rails run wider than the roof line just a little bit to hold the outward kayak saddles.

Appreciate the links and the measurements when you can get to them.
Just went out and measured. It seems that could have a spread of about 42 inches between the cross bars, given that the feet of the cross bars take up about 3 inches, and you'd need to make them fit on the the rails before they become thicker and curve down at the ends. The crossbars are 35 inches wide.

I'm not quite sure if I am answering the question the way you want or not. Please let me know if I can be more specific or take anymore photos, etc., OK?

Last edited by Otra; 03-31-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Coney
Neutral
Thanks for taking the time Otra! You've answered my exact question. The spread between the bars seems more than adequate. If I get the Clubman I intend on purchasing Yakima crossbars to the rails so I can transfer all of my Yakima gear without having to purchase adapters.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Glad to be of help - that's what makes a place like NAM so worth while....well that and being able to look at everyone's MINIs.

So your kayaks will stick out past the edge of the car, along with the Yakima cross bars? Just be sure they don't stick out right where someone will crack their skulls

P.S. I hope I made myself clear about the 42 inches being the spread from front to back as to where the cross bars could be attached to the rails, and the cross bars being 35" across the top of the Clubman's roof.

Last edited by Otra; 03-31-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Coney
Neutral
Originally Posted by Otra
So your kayaks will stick out past the edge of the car, along with the Yakima cross bars? Just be sure they don't stick out right where someone will crack their skulls
I've done that enough times with my current Mazda MX6 that I've developed an exit strategy for leaving the vehicle. The nice thing about the Clubman with rails is it will be so easy to remove the crossbars when not needed and the rails add a nice stylistic touch to the Clubman design.

Originally Posted by Otra
P.S. I hope I made myself clear about the 42 inches being the spread from front to back as to where the cross bars could be attached to the rails, and the cross bars being 35" across the top of the Clubman's roof.
Yep, the spread from front to back between the bars is about 42 inches max. The width across the roof between the rails is 35 inches. Got it! Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Otra
6th Gear
You're more than welcome, Coney. We'll be looking forward to your photos, right here on this thread soon.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Otra, thank you so much for all the posts and pics on the rack! You really are a leader in the field of the Clubman roof rails rack : ).

It is my understanding that this rack is made by Thule. Can anyone confirm? Are the bars the same as the Thule Aero bars? Can then all Thule products be used on the rack? Are adapters needed? Thanks, I'm ready to buy but want to make sure that I look before I leap.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Otra
6th Gear
My box is a Thule box and it fit just fine without any adapters. I don't own any other other options for a roof rack. This is the same Thule box we have used on our Volvo's Thule cross bars on its factory roof rails.

I don't know that MINI will come out and say that their MINI cross bars are made by Thule, but you should be able to speak to the Parts Manager at your dealership and ask about how it works.

If you want send me a PM and I'll give you my dealership's Parts Manager and you can ask him - he's very helpful.

(If you got one of those 10% discount post cards from your dealership (as I did and have again) be sure to ask about using it! 10% is 10%.)

OK here are some more pix - and you can check my Flickr page for cross bar OCD, too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/se...7609631424061/

Last edited by Otra; 04-01-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: photos!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Coopdy
It is my understanding that this rack is made by Thule. Can anyone confirm? Are the bars the same as the Thule Aero bars? Can then all Thule products be used on the rack? Are adapters needed? Thanks, I'm ready to buy but want to make sure that I look before I leap.

Thanks!
No Thule does not make the crossbars for the MINI.

That said the cross bars are very close to the same dimensions as the Thule Aero Bars but not exactly the same. They are close enough though that 99 % of the items made for the Thule Aero Bars will fit. I only remember one bike tray not fitting and if my memory serves me correlty that same bike tray had to be sightly modified to fit the Aero Bar as well even though Thule said it fit.