R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Less than 2 weeks old and first nick(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008 | 07:26 PM
jpp_zoso
|
2nd Gear
Less than 2 weeks old and first nick(s)...

my brandy new 2009 mccs is less than 2 weeks old, and i already found 2 nicks. @#%$^&*@#$% one is about 1/16" square and right down to the metal, just under the right headlight, and the other is much smaller but may be down to the metal as well, although it's hard to tell since it's on the bonnet stripe. the clear bra would have protected the one just below the headlight, i assume anyway, but not sure about the one on the bonnet stripe. when does the new force-field option come out...?

but it was finally and just barely warm enough today where i could wash it down, claybar it, wax it, rain-x it, scotchgard it, armor all protect it...which is good, cuz it's getting ziebart treated early next week. first time claybarring, didn't take quite as long as i figured it would, car was pretty clean, and the claybar itself was not quite what i had anticipated. more like stiff silly putty than a bar of soap.

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:04 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Why would you clay bar a car only two weeks old??????????

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:17 PM
jpp_zoso
|
2nd Gear
because i live in wisconsin, and everyone that lives in wisconsin knows there are only 2 seasons...winter and road construction...and we're still in road construction season. everywhere i go, i drive through road construction, sometimes in between building construction sites i have to visit, like i had two 4 times the past two weeks.

new concrete, new sealer, new asphalt, new tack coats, old asphalt, cracksealing schmoo n' goo, infrared seamless bituminous thermal patches, gravel and dirt...you name it, i've driven through it at high speeds and often over the last 2 weeks.

i didn't see much point in taking a chance something nasty got on the car and i didn't notice since i was washing the car in the dark, and then waxing in a dimly lit garage.

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:21 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
good luck in your hood

Old 11-15-2008 | 04:41 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I feel for you, jpp_zoso, that is some seasonal outlook you've got in Wisconsin. At least in winter everything will be frozen solid!

Old 11-15-2008 | 05:02 AM
Apple
6th Gear
i had mine 3 month not a mark on her

Old 11-15-2008 | 06:02 AM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Rail residue

Originally Posted by DAVESTER
Why would you clay bar a car only two weeks old??????????
I had heard that when they ship your MINI via rail, the tiny particles from the metal railroad wheels rolling against the metal track can become embedded in your paint.

Just because it's a new car, doesn't mean it hasn't had some exposure before you got her.

When in doubt, clay.

Had mine for going on 6 years. Bitter Minnesota winters are no match for my OCD for detailing. Motor on.

Old 11-15-2008 | 07:43 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Yes, it is a GOOD idea to clay bar a car right from the get-go because as mentioned above even though the car is brand new it is transported via rail, ship, and then (enclosed) truck. Frequently there tends to be little black grit in the paint sometimes at delivery......at least that has been the case for me. Not so much with MINIs, but with other cars I have owned. Give the car a good clay bar rubbing and they will come right out and the finish will be nice and smooth from the start

Old 11-15-2008 | 08:25 AM
digi0123
3rd Gear
clay removes the contaminates on the top level...if you have problems down to the metal you need to see a body shop and then get the clear protection on the front of the car around 30 days later when the paint fully cures.

I would have a pro shop look at the new paint before you go slapping a clay bar which may rake dirt right over the brand new paint.

Old 11-15-2008 | 09:27 AM
maacodale
4th Gear
Agreed! Clay bar a new car and feel safe. Between rail dust (even though they're enclosed, they're not before they're loaded.), environmental fall out on the way to the states, etc., it's always better to err on the side of safety. Even if it does seem anally retentive sometimes. I own a bodyshop and just estimated a black Lexus with some terrible acid rain etching.

As for Wisconsin, we did the MTTS event at Road America (Chicago?) and I'll attest to the seasons. It was warm, so it musta been road construction season! And it seemed like the roads were in full bloom. The traffic pylons up there are a beautiful orange when in season!

Old 11-19-2008 | 12:57 AM
jpp_zoso
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jpp_zoso
and the other is much smaller but may be down to the metal as well, although it's hard to tell since it's on the bonnet stripe.
bonnet stripe nick is (a) multiple teeny-weeny nicks and (b) just a flesh wound on the bonnet stripe itself. no significant damage to the underlying paint.

thought there was a big scratch on the scoop too, but that seems to have disappeared.