R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Question regarding Run-Flat tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question regarding Run-Flat tires...

Hi,

My MA told me that the Clubman S ONLY comes with Run-Flat tires... which means NO spare and NO jack.

So... are Run-Flat tires very expensive when replacements are needed? What if in the future I decide to go with "regular" tires does the Clubman even have a place for the spare?

What are your thoughts....

Thanks,

Mike

By the way... I live 260 miles away from the Dealer so I just can't "pop in" for a quick look at the mini to answer my own questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by mbu
Hi,

My MA told me that the Clubman S ONLY comes with Run-Flat tires... which means NO spare and NO jack.

So... are Run-Flat tires very expensive when replacements are needed? What if in the future I decide to go with "regular" tires does the Clubman even have a place for the spare?

What are your thoughts....

Thanks,

Mike

By the way... I live 260 miles away from the Dealer so I just can't "pop in" for a quick look at the mini to answer my own questions.
We just acquired a previously owned MCSc (no spare either) through a BMW dealer. We were told they would put on a new set of tires before delivering it to us. That was before they knew it was going to be r-f tires. I told him 1200 bucks for a set of tires was rediculous considering they get lousy milage. Most threads report 15 to 25k miles. The upshot is, we have regular tires on the car and a couple cans of "Fix-a-flat" in the boot. Poke around for other tire forums and get a feeling for what others are doing about tires. There are lots of recomendations to sort through. This is the way I have chosen to deal with the situation. Some might find fault with it....I might find fault with it later. We'll see.

Forgot to mention, it did come with a jack and lug wrench.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to piggyback on this question if I could. My new MCS has runflats. I copied the information on the side of the tire, did a search on the web for the exact same make, model and size tire, and found them for $150 each(so $600 for all four) from many reputable dealers. I have seen the $1200 figure a few times though on this forum. Where are people getting the $1200 figure from?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by russgriz
I'd like to piggyback on this question if I could. My new MCS has runflats. I copied the information on the side of the tire, did a search on the web for the exact same make, model and size tire, and found them for $150 each(so $600 for all four) from many reputable dealers. I have seen the $1200 figure a few times though on this forum. Where are people getting the $1200 figure from?
By E-mail, the dealer told me the rf's they had ordered (don't know what kind though) were near $300 each. I'd have to go check, but I think there's four of 'em. I had him on the phone within seconds and nixed that deal. I just went on what they told me and feel I made the right decision...so far.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Minerva Louise
3rd Gear
I have a flat right now, and just was quoted $285 to replace the one tire with something identical. And sales tax will make it more, so... times 4 = right at $1200. Probably a bit more, actually...

I am trying to figure out what to do. Patch it on the inside? I did not drive on the tire while flat. Just backed 50 feet down the driveway, TPMS went off, and I drove back into the garage. My plan had been to drive the runflats till they were used up then replace with non-runflats and get a donut to keep in the boot.

I have a jack, for the record. Nice little kit, just under the floor of the boot.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one nice tidbit of info to know is that if you have a new MINI with runflats and live in a state with Discount Tire, they will sell you full replacement/road hazard warranties for yr tires if you take it in with less than 300 miles on the clock; mine were about $23 each.

The DT salesguy said that my Conti RSCs were about $170 each, but that does not include warranties, disposal fees, taxes, mount and balance, new TPMS stems if needed, so yeah after all this it can run close to $300/tire.

As far as conventional tires, I run BF Goodrich G-Force sport tires 9 mos out of the year, and they are awesome, about $82/ea. Plus I carry the "Mini Mobility Kit" which is a small compressor and latex--the kind that doesnt drive tire repair techs nuts--in the boot for any flats, which Ive been lucky not to have. Also AAA will fix flats on MINIs with conventional tires, if one has a membership.

OP Doesnt the MSCc have a space inbetween the exhausts, accessible thru the boot, for a donut spare? Thought I saw this when I demo'd an 08 several months ago....

Last edited by sequence; 11-20-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had my 2005 S with Dunlop 9000 runCRAPS DT quoted me $312/each to replace, fully loaded out the door. That's why I chose the BFG's: $444 out the door.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
By E-mail, the dealer told me the rf's they had ordered (don't know what kind though) were near $300 each. I'd have to go check, but I think there's four of 'em. I had him on the phone within seconds and nixed that deal. I just went on what they told me and feel I made the right decision...so far.
That is because the dealer buys them for the same price you or I can buy them from a local tire shop and then marks them up.

I have also found that the local tire shop also charges upwards of 15%-20% more than i can find them on line for. I.E. just got new "Snow Tires" for mine and from Tire Rack with shipping for 4 tires was $497.15.

The best price i could find localy to me for the exact same tire was 585.00. Plus then i had to pay tax on top of the 585.00.

russgriz - you are right you can get the tires for a much better price on line than what a dealer will charge. Even going to the local tire shop will get you a much better price.

And BTW i bought RunFlats for Snow Tires and the same brand tire in as equvilant size and design as a Non Run Flat was only $12 cheaper. So i go the runflats as that was 48 dollar out of my pocket but the donut spare i would hav had to buy was mor like $100.00, so i came out at a lesser cost.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM
mbu
4th Gear
The MA told me that the 2009 Clubman (not S version) comes standard without Runflats. If someone has one of these can they confirm what the MA told me?

Thanks...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Miki
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
one nice tidbit of info to know is that if you have a new MINI with runflats and live in a state with Discount Tire, they will sell you full replacement/road hazard warranties for yr tires if you take it in with less than 300 miles on the clock; mine were about $23 each.

The DT salesguy said that my Conti RSCs were about $170 each, but that does not include warranties, disposal fees, taxes, mount and balance, new TPMS stems if needed, so yeah after all this it can run close to $300/tire.

As far as conventional tires, I run BF Goodrich G-Force sport tires 9 mos out of the year, and they are awesome, about $82/ea. Plus I carry the "Mini Mobility Kit" which is a small compressor and latex--the kind that doesnt drive tire repair techs nuts--in the boot for any flats, which Ive been lucky not to have. Also AAA will fix flats on MINIs with conventional tires, if one has a membership.

OP Doesnt the MSCc have a space inbetween the exhausts, accessible thru the boot, for a donut spare? Thought I saw this when I demo'd an 08 several months ago....
I went straight to Discount Tire after getting my Clubman S and bought the tire warranty. I paid a little extra to get the free balancing and rotation too. I think it came out to around $120 for all 4 runflats. The dealer was offering the tire warranty but for a much higher price. BTW there is room for a donut spare in the Clubman but no tire is included with the Clubman S.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Yes, our 2009 Clubbie came std with runflats. The dealer quoted $1200 for a set.

I would not count on discount numbers for replacing a RF. When you need one (ie, you have a flat) the tire shop you take the car to won't be interested in the RF's you have at home you got for a smokin deal. He will sell you what he has at the price he wants.

And, our Clubbie did not come with a jack. The donut area is really nice for extra trunk space though

For most flats I carry a repair kit and a compressor, or can of compressed gas. Those will get me just as far as a RF will. For my wife we have roadside assistance.

charlie

Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
shamus kay
1st Gear
I would like to get rid of my RF tires (16") and would like to know what size spare (donut) would fit in the trunk of my 2008 Clubman S and what brand would you recommend? Likewise, any recommendations for replacing the allweather RF with smooth riding, less noisy all weather tires?
As always, you guys are a great resource for us newbies.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
mbu, the 2008, (and 2009 according to the configurator) agree with your MA. If you get a stock non-S with the standard 15" wheels, you will get non-runflat tires. If you go to a 16" optional wheel, they seem to all come with runflats.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
treedog
1st Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113366

ContiPro Contact SSR came standard on my 08. SSR stands for 'self supporting radial'. I have 2000 miles on mine no problems so far. I've read many positive reviews.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Brother_Bluto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by treedog
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113366

ContiPro Contact SSR came standard on my 08. SSR stands for 'self supporting radial'. I have 2000 miles on mine no problems so far. I've read many positive reviews.
Ditto on my MCCS 09. While that specific tire does come with a mileage warranty when purchased from tire dealer, they do not when put on a new car (Mfg saves money by not getting the mileage wty). I wish I had known about the wty from Discount Tire - sounds like a bargain. Also not sure where the $1200 is coming from, as I'm seeing replacements under $200 for same brand/make of tire with warranty. For me, even the $200 is cheaper than what my standard-sized truck tires run... so I'm not complaining.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
For $1200 go out and get you a really KILLER set of wheels and NON run flat tires. Throw some $2.00 fix a flat in and replacement tires from here on out are about $130.00 a tire. Mini does offer a donut spare for the back of the Clubman S. Call your SA and they can fit it.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
I'd have prob'ly wanted to buy the Discount Tire runflat warranty if I'd known about it. But given that my ride home from the dealer was 1,100 miles, I would have already been somewhat past the 300 mile cutoff

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Mr Rider
1st Gear
I'm curious if the proper size runflat tires are commonly available from most tire dealers? I have vew minis in my area and the dealership is a few hours away.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
The Clubman S does only come with runflats. BUT, before I bought mine, I had the dealer check one of the demos and he found that the well for the space saving spare is there under the mats. He said that I can buy the space saving spare and the assembly that secures the tire. My plan is to replace my run-flats with regular tires once the run-flats wear out. I find the run-flats a little stiff on the country roads.

Also, I've heard of run-flats that go flat due to sidewall damage. I live rurally in a place with spotty cell phone coverage and don't want to be left stranded in the dark and cold. Always good to be in a position to change the tire and motor on!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Becareful to check the size of the spare you buy as many do not fit over the brakes on the S models, because they have larger brakes than a Non-S. Also note that there have been a bunch of reports of cars not having a jack or lug wrench.

As far as i know the Mini Supplied Spare does not fit the front of an S model and you would need put the spare on the rear and then put the tire that was on the rear on the front if it was a front tire flat.

There have been some reports of some Toyota or Honda Spare fitting over the brake but i can not confrim this.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
Schatzy62,
Thanks for the added information about getting a spare. I will certainly check all this out prior to buying.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
As far as i know the Mini Supplied Spare does not fit the front of an S model and you would need put the spare on the rear and then put the tire that was on the rear on the front if it was a front tire flat.
If you have a limited slip diff, you would need to do this anyway.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
The run flats ride like bricks, and are expensive. No spare of course, but I did get a jack! Snowies are non-run flat, so I'll be getting a space saver spare...

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Yes, our 2009 Clubbie came std with runflats. The dealer quoted $1200 for a set.

I would not count on discount numbers for replacing a RF. When you need one (ie, you have a flat) the tire shop you take the car to won't be interested in the RF's you have at home you got for a smokin deal. He will sell you what he has at the price he wants.

And, our Clubbie did not come with a jack. The donut area is really nice for extra trunk space though

For most flats I carry a repair kit and a compressor, or can of compressed gas. Those will get me just as far as a RF will. For my wife we have roadside assistance.

charlie
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have access to an auto hobby shop. $10 an hour bay fee and access to a professional with tire mounting and balancing tools. They even recycle materials as part of the bay fee so no disposal fee. Before I had access to the hobby shop I would take my internet bought tires to a small local mechanic to do the work. They don't sell tires so they don't care if you buy them there or not, just charge a reasonable price for the labor. I too used to think that the "Discount" tire chains were a good deal, one stop, quick and you are back on the road. But too much lately they "inflate" (no pun intended) a $170 tire into a $300+ deal for themselves.

I'm just saying, there seems to be this myth about how ridiculously expensive runflats are. And it is perpetuated by people who don't think that they can get a better deal than the chains. Sure they are a little expensive but I hate to see things get blown out of proportion. A little shopping around and the expense isn't what some may think it is.

Now if you do not like RF for the noise or the handling/feel, or the grip or the treadwear life, I won't argue that. It's mostly subjective and depends on how you drive your car. I like my runflats for now, never had them before, and I'll consider getting a set of regular performance tires as a means of comparing them when my RFs are worn out. I'll bet those performance tires won't be cheap either, but at least then I'll be able to form an opinion and reach a real conclusion about how I feel RFs compare to non-RF on this car. And move on from there.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
...I too used to think that the "Discount" tire chains were a good deal, one stop, quick and you are back on the road. But too much lately they "inflate" (no pun intended) a $170 tire into a $300+ deal for themselves.

I'm just saying, there seems to be this myth about how ridiculously expensive runflats are....
Like I said. When I need a runflat when on a trip I won't be able to order one from a discount house. May even get stuck replacing all 4 with whatever that dealer has. If that happens it will be expensive.

I usually do buy from internet sources, then have them installed at a local shop. Mail order prices to the discount installers is 50-100% markup in my experience. I also like that I can order exactly the tires I want instead of whatever brand and type the shop carries.

charlie