R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Boot Door Popping Open While Driving....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Countryclubber
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boot Door Popping Open While Driving....

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. But, after I start my car the right boot door opens. I go back to close it and it opens again. Sometimes it just keeps popping open over and over again. It's kinda hard to drive your new car when the doors won't stay shut. Plus, the honking and staring from people is SUPER annoying. To top it off the dealership couldn't get me into the service department until the day after Thanksgiving. So, this is super ......Anyone else have this issue????

It really sucks because I am totally head over heals, in love with my little clubman otherwise.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks! I feel sorry for you. I've got a small issue with my car too. The right boot door has quite a stiff spring in the latch so it always takes me two tries to slam it shut. Because I have the comfort option, I have to remember to never "test" the door by pulling the handle or the key fob will notice and unlock it automatically. I'll just have to remember to look carefully at the doors and make sure they're lined up so I know they're shut properly. Is this caused by my car being new? I've only had it about a month but yes, it's annoying and I sometimes feel like tearing my hair out.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There were some reports of water getting into the handle housing and causing a short int he switch. This would cause that problem. It could also be water getting into the connector that connects the door handle switch to the main door harness.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
Yuck, that is an annoying glitch! I have the same issue as beasleyboy...mine often takes two tries to latch. I thought I was just being too wimpy, but I'm glad to know it isn't me

Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
dbclub
1st Gear
I was just reading in the Owner's Manual that this is what happens if the car senses that there is a fob in the boot area--it is supposed to keep you from locking your key in the car by mistake when futzing around in the tailgate. Are you keeping your spare key in the back end?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
lotsie
Banned
For those with the closing issue, are you sure your not touching the latch release as you close the door? Just a thought.

Mark

Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
known issue some clubmen have had. Take it into the dealer. The contacts on the switch for the back doors is probably corroded. They'll install a waterproof switch (for OP)

Old 11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
For those with the closing issue, are you sure your not touching the latch release as you close the door? Just a thought.

Mark
I always use the palm of my hand to close the door. My fingers were not even touching the latch release. I think the car's springs are stiff because it's new but I'm not sure. Is anyone out there with a Clubbie over six months old? Does it get any easier to close the back doors?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
I always use the palm of my hand to close the door. My fingers were not even touching the latch release. I think the car's springs are stiff because it's new but I'm not sure. Is anyone out there with a Clubbie over six months old? Does it get any easier to close the back doors?
Just a thought.

Our launch edition Clubman is 10 months old, and the rear doors are stiff to close, I always thought it was the pistons that open the door.

Mark

Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
mshelton
1st Gear
I remember reading in another post recently about the boot being hard to latch/close; but I can't find it now. Anyway, one person resolved his hard to close boot problem by adjusting the screw type latches (I think he tightened them), and the doors opened and closed easier. Maybe this will help or you can find the other post.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
Mine did that for the first time yesterday. Even tho it was raining (Hasn't Rained decent in over 13 months here), When i pulled away from the house, a weird chime started going off. Looked back and sho-nuff, the door was open.
Think I'll look into the tightening thing real quick.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 PM
bcshred
Neutral
There is a recent service bulletin on this. Water penetration is the cause but my dealer needed to order the parts which have now been installed with no further issued.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any issues with the OTHER boot door ... NOT opening? Mine just started doing this. The first-open barn door is fine, but the second one won't open at all. Anybody else have this?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by godskid
Any issues with the OTHER boot door ... NOT opening? Mine just started doing this. The first-open barn door is fine, but the second one won't open at all. Anybody else have this?
Just began having this issue today.
Right side door opens fine; the left side does not activate.
There's no click of the solenoid release.
Bump for any other information pertaining to such.

- Erik

Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Just began having this issue today.
Right side door opens fine; the left side does not activate.
There's no click of the solenoid release.
Bump for any other information pertaining to such.

- Erik
Sounds like you may have a disconnected wire, possibly in the connector of the door handle.

Not sure if yo can get the interior panel off without opening the door either. If you cant then it would make it very hard to fix the problem if it is at the door handle connector.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
I have a 2011 and as i was getting into my Mini the other day i noticed the right side open against my garage door (luckily i didnt open the door from my house opener panel otherwise it would have caused some serious damage.

it seems fine now, i wonder if i had accidentally hit the pop button on my FOB...if it happens again ill take it to the dealer.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3pedalMINI
I have a 2011 and as i was getting into my Mini the other day i noticed the right side open against my garage door (luckily i didnt open the door from my house opener panel otherwise it would have caused some serious damage.

it seems fine now, i wonder if i had accidentally hit the pop button on my FOB...if it happens again ill take it to the dealer.
I have found my 'barn' door open a couple of times which I attribute to the FOB in my pocket with other keys and coins ..... and my shrinking jeans.... The FOB works from a LONG way away. I kinda wish you had to do a 2 button press for the barn door like unlock then rear door button or some such.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I had this problem and it was traced back to the fob. I starting using my 2nd fob which I had not used in probably a year or more. It took about 4 hours of driving for the fob to update itself. During that time, all kinds of crazy things happened - boot door opened when starting the car, the clock lost its time, the running average of gas mileage since getting the car was erased, and more. Once the fob was updated, the problems went away.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Phlerb
1st Gear
TSB SI-M-51-09-0
71100 LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH
Bulletin No: SI-M-51-09-0
Date of Bulletin: 12/15/2008
Summary Description:
MINI: REAR SPLIT DOOR OPENING PROBLEMS. ONE OR BOTH OF THE REAR SPLIT DOORS INTERMITTENTLY HAVE FUNCTIONAL PROBLEMS. THE DOOR(S) MAY NOT UNLATCH WHEN THE LEVER ON THE HANDLE IS PULLED OR THE LATCH MAY RELEASE UNEXPECTEDLY WITHOUT BEING PULL...