R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Time to talk about winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:11 AM
IzzyG
|
6th Gear
Time to talk about winter

Winter's coming and it's time to take out the winter checklist for them year round Mini motorers. Let's list issues to take note, shall we?

1. Winter tires- there's a thread about this. Long story short, stock allseasons will be sufficient for 95% of driving if you're careful.

2. Exterior- time to do your final detailing unless you have a heated garage. This should include dawn, claybar, polish, wax. A quality wax should last the winter months as long as you don't pressure wash your vehicle too often. Throw on more coats after pressure washing.

3. Fluids- needless to say, check all fluid levels, especially antifreeze.

4. Interior- as a habit, I bring along a bag of sand/cat litter, snow shovel and towing belts. Whether it's for self use or to help a stranded fellow driver, these are helpful items. Other items I pack include warm blankets, a heavy duty jacket, first aid kit(this one stays regardless of season), emergency triangles, dry snacks, heavy duty light and dog sled harness(I have a husky who has helped me pull cars out before)

5. Other- I was looking through the pictures on the lowered Minis. The plan was to install coilovers to get rid of the damn wheel gap. However, it looks like any kind of snow will tear the underbody apart(not to mention the front bumper will be plowing snow at that height). How do you guys avoid this?(Other than living in a tropical climate). Do you just adjust the height during winter months?

Feel free to add to the list.

Old 11-27-2008 | 05:20 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by IzzyG
Winter's coming and it's time to take out the winter checklist for them year round Mini motorers. Let's list issues to take note, shall we?

1. Winter tires- there's a thread about this. Long story short, stock allseasons will be sufficient for 95% of driving if you're careful.
Not sure where you live but where i live in New England (central Mass) all season tires are not really accepatble. Snow tires are really a must. I have tried both on many cars and all seasons are just not worth the effort.

2. Exterior- time to do your final detailing unless you have a heated garage. This should include dawn, claybar, polish, wax. A quality wax should last the winter months as long as you don't pressure wash your vehicle too often. Throw on more coats after pressure washing.

3. Fluids- needless to say, check all fluid levels, especially antifreeze.

4. Interior- as a habit, I bring along a bag of sand/cat litter, snow shovel and towing belts. Whether it's for self use or to help a stranded fellow driver, these are helpful items. Other items I pack include warm blankets, a heavy duty jacket, first aid kit(this one stays regardless of season), emergency triangles, dry snacks, heavy duty light and dog sled harness(I have a husky who has helped me pull cars out before)

5. Other- I was looking through the pictures on the lowered Minis. The plan was to install coilovers to get rid of the damn wheel gap. However, it looks like any kind of snow will tear the underbody apart(not to mention the front bumper will be plowing snow at that height). How do you guys avoid this?(Other than living in a tropical climate). Do you just adjust the height during winter months?

Feel free to add to the list.
Agree with the rest as you stated here.

Old 11-27-2008 | 07:11 PM
lotsie
Banned
Snow brush/ice scraper.

Mark

Old 11-29-2008 | 03:36 PM
Formula Fun
1st Gear
Nice list.

Here are some additions:
  • Rust protection system - for those of you that live in the 'salt' belt, this is a good idea. I spray my cars (annually) with Krown.
  • Rubber mats - they hold the salt brine and protect your floors from corrosion.
  • Spare jug of windshield wash fluid - carry an extra with you, in case you run out and can't wait until you get home. I use the Rain-X windshield wash fluid...great when you drive on the highway!
  • Mudflaps - obviously optional, but it would help protect your paint. The plastic sills already featured on the MINI are excellent in this regard.
  • Frameless windshield wipers - like the Bosch Icon are excellent for the winter. There are no open areas for snow/ice to freeze and impair your vision through the windshield.
  • Sunglasses - you should have them all year long anyway.
  • I can't stress enough, the importance of snow tires. If you have to drive in the snow, you need snow tires...period.
  • Common sense - okay, some folks won't have this, but if you think you have it, use it.

Old 12-18-2008 | 07:08 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I really haven't seen a chain on this; maybe I should start one. Tell me if it seems like I'm off-topic.

I've been driving my Clubman 1/2 mile to the train every day so I won't have to walk in the deep snow (I usually walk, but I'm a wimp with snow). The Mini never really gets a good chance to heat up.

Anyhow, yesterday it was cold when I started it up on the way home, and the *inside* front windshield was full of ice.

Do I have a problem with air getting in, or is this just expected when it's this cold?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
As you breath in the cold car you humidify the air to the point where when in comes in contact with a cold surface like the windshield teh humidity turns to ice.

The only real way to eliminate this is to run the A/C. BUt of course this will not do much if you are only driving 1/2 a mile as the car never has time to worm up and will not run the A/C when it is very cold. The engine has to produce some heat so that the A/C can reduce the humidity in the air.

You may want to let the car idle for 10 minutes before getting into it in the morning. This may help depending on how cold it is outside.

Old 12-18-2008 | 03:07 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
sounds good; thanks!

Just never saw this happen in the Honda Accord. Wonder if it's due to the glass angle, my distance to the windshield, etc.

Old 12-18-2008 | 03:57 PM
GrnMtnMini
1st Gear
Went to Quebec last week; living in Vermont all seasons are not an option; spend the extra money for wheels and tires; noticed on the highway passing other vehicles on non plowed lanes the mini get's pushed due to light weight; otherwise good in winter

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:25 PM
riboui
Neutral
Originally Posted by Formula Fun
  • Frameless windshield wipers - like the Bosch Icon are excellent for the winter. There are no open areas for snow/ice to freeze and impair your vision through the windshield.
Good idea! The stock wipers are picking up way too much snow and ice.

I decided not to get snow tires this Winter. Living in the Chicago area, I've not had to use them on prior cars. I'm not sure if it's the Clubman and it's stock tires or that we have a salt shortage in the area this year, but I'm starting to question my decision. It hasn't been a question of too much snow on the roadways, but rather icy conditions at intersections. I've managed to slide past where I wanted to stop on two occasions, with the ABS and DSC doing it's best to keep me out of trouble.

The DSC has been a revelation. I didn't think it would be much use, but it's been helpful, if nothing else because of it's warning light when losing traction.

Oh, one other thing. On the first day the outdoor temps dropped into the teens, the low tire pressure light went on. Took it to dealer, who topped up the air (nitrogen) pressure and reset the sensor, along with many more that were there for the same reason. No charge.

Last edited by riboui; 12-18-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: One more thing
Old 12-18-2008 | 10:06 PM
Alphawave
I'm buying a spare set of wipers...that's all winter means to me! :p SLOW DOWN, folks...keep you and your clubbie on the road, and free of other car obstructions!

Old 12-18-2008 | 10:24 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

You don't need to do anything. I drove in some pretty serious snow lower than most MINI's you'll find on this site without any problems. Snow isn't going to damage anything important.

You'll have to lower the clubman a great deal before the bumper is low enough to plow any snow that you find on the streets.

No need to worry

Old 12-19-2008 | 06:09 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Timing could not have been better for me. I just had Toyo Snow Prox 952 put on my stock rims yesterday. Today will be a perfect day to test them out. Oh by the way I LOVE playing in the snow, this will be a first for me in my Mini

I do have to say that my new Toyo Winters are quieter and smoother on the highway than the OEM run flats. Granted I can't push the car as hard on the on ramp because of the softer tread.

Let it snow, I want to play

Old 12-19-2008 | 09:40 AM
Lightbringer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMini
Went to Quebec last week; living in Vermont all seasons are not an option; spend the extra money for wheels and tires; noticed on the highway passing other vehicles on non plowed lanes the mini get's pushed due to light weight; otherwise good in winter
I have also noticed this in about 2" of nonplowed snow or so. Seemed a little scary at first, but not that bad of an issue here.

Just got ~8 inches of snow today at work...navigated the non-plowed parking lot better than most cars going in and out for lunch, but turned back when I saw too many slipping all over (didn't want to get hit)...gonna be an interesting ride home. First storm of the year to determine if I want to drop the cash I barely have on snows or not :-/. Also, first winter with MT, should be fun.

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:24 AM
Barley
3rd Gear
I've been very pleased with my clubman on the scant ice and snow we've gotten here this week. I am not OCD about detailing (I swear!) but now that the roads are awash in gravel and the fruitcake drivers are back on the road, I find myself carpooling in my wife's 10-year-old CRV not for traction, but because I don't want my new baby trashed by some dimwit, or sand-blasted with pea-sized gravel!

I drove on the worst days and it was fine - almost no one on the road, and the ones that were seemed reasonably sensible.

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:59 AM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
All kinds of snow here today in upstate NY and Miss MINI got stuck, BIG time! I had 4 people pushing her up a driveway. No, I have no snow tires on it but also don't plan to drive it in 6+ inches of snow if I don't have to. Wanted to put it to the test today and sadly it failed

On another funny note...I look out my window and another MINI Clubman is stuck right in front of my house!!!

He's parked near my front lawn now...tires were a spinning so he's not going anywhere until towed.

I'd say if you're planning to use your clubbie on a daily basis and in snow, definitely get snow tires! No question about it...