R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 09, Clubman S Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:15 AM
JoelP
|
1st Gear
09, Clubman S Owner

Roof Rails?!

Can anyone help?
I ordered my new 09 clubman 2 months ago and specifically requested roof rails. My dealer said it was no problem and would be done at the dealership. The car has arrived and the dealer now says he can't install the rails! He said it should have been done at the factory. I'm angry . I am tempted to not receive the car. I am spending a great deal of money on something and want it to be exactly right.
I cycle frequently and want the right bike rack. To me, this means roof rails and a Thule crossbar w/ mount. I don't like the racks that attach to the door. They sit too far forward and are aesthetically unappealing. My apologies to those who disagree. It's an opinion thing.
Has anyone ran into this problem? Can I have rails installed properly after it hit the dealership?

new owner and new to posting,

Joel

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:30 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Unbelievable. Your dealer said those factory roof rails could be done at the dealership????? That has never been the case. They have always been a "factory installed option".

I would not accept the car as is. I know that's easy to say but this rack is very important to you, which I can understand.

What does your order say in writing? When you ordered the car the option for roof rails was available and it had to be that they were factory installed.. so it appears that your dealership (salesperson?) either was ignorant or worse.

If you have it in writing that you ordered roof rails, you've got proof that the car is not as ordered. If you don't and were relying on this salesperson, then your only choice will be to make your displeasure known to the Manager, and MINI USA because they should be made aware, and then reorder while considering going to a different dealership and/or getting a discount from this dealership on the reorder, it would seem to me. (sorry for the run on sentence!)

If you have "roof rails" as an option on your order and don't get satisfaction from your dealership, then I would call MINI USA and get the name and extension of every person you speak to. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

I feel very badly for you.

P.S. if there's a way for you to edit the title of this topic to be more specific - i.e., "Not as ordered/promised"...it would be more helpful and get more attention. I can't remember if editing one's title is an option on NAM, or not.

Last edited by Otra; 11-28-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 11-28-2008 | 06:56 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
I agree with Otra. If your paperwork has roof rails on the order, don't take the car and re order. I got the roof rails on mine and love the look. I am waiting on the crossbars from Mini and then can use Thule attachments(AeroBar).The mini crossbars are more easily removed than the Thule set-up.

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:30 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Man I would be pissed off. I have the Factory rails with the Thule racks and love it.

tell the dealer it is not acceptable

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:03 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JoelP
I don't like the racks that attach to the door.
There are no option to have any kind of rack attach to a door. The OEM Roof Racks attach to the Frame of the car at the roof line.

They sit too far forward
You will find yourself putting your crossbars on the rails jsut as far forward.

... aesthetically unappealing.
personally i think the roof rails are very UGLY on the clubman. They are to large, and do not match the size of the car.

My apologies to those who disagree. It's an opinion thing.
Apology not needed we all have our own opinions.

Has anyone ran into this problem? Can I have rails installed properly after it hit the dealership?
Unfortuantely the only way to have the roof rails done is at the factory at this time. To put them in requires that the whole headliner, side curtain air bags, and many other peices be removed from the car to put these in. The expense would be over 15 hours in labor alone.

As for rejecting the car. That is your call but if the Roof Rails were not on the order sheet then the car was actaully built correctly unless they screwed something else up. If you have writen confrimation that the dealer would put the Roof Rails on then you do have a leg to stand on.

Just remember that waiting for a new car can be a looooooooooong wait.

new owner and new to posting,

Joel[/quote]

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:08 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Don't take the car. You've explained that you actually need the rails.

Car salesmen will say anything to make a sale... even and especially MAs. It doesn't matter what the order said if you were sold "accessories" that were integral to your order that turned out to be factory options. The order should've been changed or cancelled when it was clear that the car was not the one you intended to buy.

I like to say that every car design is a compromise, but no car purchase should be.

Last edited by PepperSClubman; 11-28-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2008 | 01:18 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
I agree with above. Even if it is not on the order form I would reject the car as not being what I 'ordered'. The MA should take the heat for it. Make sure that the sales manager knows what the MA said and why you are rejecting the car you ordered and that you want to order another one without any penalties. If you get ANY flak at all go to MINI and complain to them.

charlie

Old 11-28-2008 | 01:23 PM
Alphawave
If rails are indeed a requirement, DON'T SETTLE! Painful, but reorder. :|

Old 11-28-2008 | 02:03 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Don't take it. I have the old system and would love to have the rails. If you ordered it that way I would make them find you one. Seems like they could find a few around the US. I know I have seen one in Tampa. Not sure what options or color you got but I would have them look around. Even if they don't I think I would hold off for one to come in right and make sure they toss some freebies in

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:38 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Maybe a certain amount of $$$ discount will change your mind about refusing the car. Then again, the dealer probably could car less if you refuse it or not, they'll have no problem selling the car. Get it like you ordered it...

Old 12-02-2008 | 07:38 AM
JoelP
|
1st Gear
I want to thank everyone for their support, knowledge, and willingness to help.

Sorry it has taken me a while to read all of your responses. I have been camping for the Holidays in Big Sur (sans Clubman).

It seems as though I may have to chalk this up as yet another of life's little learning experiences.

Before leaving for my trip I called the dealer and asked if I could pick up my car... he responded by informing me that the side scuttles and JCW wheels still needed to be installed (among other things). Frustrated I said fine, get it done and I will return Tuesday to pick it up.

Well that is not the case now. I called yesterday to make sure it was ready and was informed that I still needed to 'finalize' the paperwork before they could order/install the added items!!! Alas, I am still without.

I looked over my paperwork as advised by many of you and unfortunately the roof rails are not on there. My dealer told me while ordering that it would be done at the dealer and not to worry about it. Which brings me back to that "learning experience" I mentioned earlier.

I'm still not sure how I am going to handle this mess but I am going down to the dealer today. After I make some more calls to help educate myself more.

Thanks again to everyone,

JP

Old 12-02-2008 | 07:50 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
You can always refuse the car and order another. Or, pick one off the lot that has what you want (if there is one).

I'd also have the MA explain why the roof racks aren't included after you asked for them.

charlie

Old 12-02-2008 | 07:51 AM
Otra
6th Gear
They sound very inept.

But you sound as though you were going to accept the car w/o the rails by agreeing to the JCW options that they hadn't installed yet?

Ultimately, it sounds as though this second bit - their not having installed the JCW options, is a saving grace. If you don't want this car w/o roof rails, don't take it is my advice.

Naturally, inquiring minds will want to hear what happens next!

Old 12-02-2008 | 07:55 AM
Lenzotti
Neutral
I have an 08 Clubman and I wish I had ordered the rails; my mistake.

Regarding reordering: I was displeased with misinformation and lack of responsiveness from my original ordering dealer, Motor City Mini, so I cancelled my order. I reordered from Classic Mini in Ohio and they were great. I had to drive 100 miles to pick up the new car but I wanted to send them a message. If it were me obviously I'd switch dealers even if it's not on the paperwork because it's obvious they weren't listening to you.

Old 12-02-2008 | 08:01 AM
Pete26
Neutral
No Roof Rails

I feel your pain. The prior post is right on. Send it back

Old 12-02-2008 | 08:19 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
If you think you will have regrets over the roof rails I would reject the car and reorder. I believe in any state you can reject the car up until you close with the Finance folk. Once offically rejected you should be able to reorder and ask for a Near term allocation slot via the dealer or 1-800-Ask-MINI. I waited for the MY2009 cars to get the Roof Rails and understand the dealers initial mis information. If I had not been tuned in to Motoring File and This site my car would have been ordered wrong.

Old 12-02-2008 | 08:58 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
hey JP which bay area dealer did you go through? I used East Bay Mini in Pleasanton and they got everything right on our Clubman

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:02 AM
JoelP
|
1st Gear
Long Beach Mini. In California. The East Coast commute would have been a bit much i think.

Glad to here all went well for you though.

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:57 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
East Bay Mini is in Northern California I believe.

Old 12-02-2008 | 10:36 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
East Bay Mini is in Northern California I believe.

YUP east of Oakland by 20 miles

figured he might be up here if he was camping in Big Sur...guess not

Old 12-02-2008 | 02:58 PM
JoelP
|
1st Gear
Update

I went down to the dealership to try to see what I could do. Well, I am now one of the many who had ordered and not received the Anthracite headliner as well!

I have declined to receive the miss-ordered car. A new one will arrive in 2 months. It is a shame I have to wait but at least I'll get what i ordered. Hopefully!

Thanks agin to everyone and I will of course post photos upon it's arrival.

Joel

Ps. Surfink and Buzzcut1 I live in Santa Monica Ca. I just assumed East Bay was East Coast. In hindsight it makes sense that it be in the 'Bay Area'.

thanks to both

Old 12-02-2008 | 03:46 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Good for you JP.."saved by the missing anthracite headliner" you will really like the roof rails..

Old 12-02-2008 | 04:07 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Wise move! Promise to come back and post photos of your new Clubman as soon as you take delivery!

Old 12-02-2008 | 04:27 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Good call IMO JoelP, you don't want to settle. If it's any consolation I had to wait 4.5 months for my Clubman, so maybe all in yours will still be less time. Though, it was worth the wait and I love the roof rails, very sporty and I love the integration. I am still waiting on my anthracite headliner though...maybe your car will arrive before it.

Hang in there and it will be worth it in the end.

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:17 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
I went down to the dealership to try to see what I could do. Well, I am now one of the many who had ordered and not received the Anthracite headliner as well!

I have declined to receive the miss-ordered car. A new one will arrive in 2 months. It is a shame I have to wait but at least I'll get what i ordered. Hopefully!

Thanks agin to everyone and I will of course post photos upon it's arrival.

Joel

Ps. Surfink and Buzzcut1 I live in Santa Monica Ca. I just assumed East Bay was East Coast. In hindsight it makes sense that it be in the 'Bay Area'.

thanks to both
ah my old home town, SAMOHI class of 75. My favorite thing was running the grass median of San Vincente Blvd late at night between Westwood and Palisades Park then finishing my run by doing laps double stepping on the 4th street stairs into the Santa Monica Canyon [couple of hundred steps]

Quick Reply: R55 09, Clubman S Owner