R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Factory iPod/Bluetooth cable question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:23 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
I can't justify spending so much money on that haha. Im a cheapo.

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:29 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
I don't blame you and I can't help but wonder why very few make them...but this seems to be the only one that will allow one to keep charging their iPod but still hear good sound quality... I still haven't found the cable you've posted about though.

Oops, I missed your other post. Thanks. My husband did go to Radio Shack but we'll keep looking if we don't go for the expensive model. Hey, I figure if I spent this much already on the iPod/Bluetooth what's another $32 (plus I only drive a Cooper Clubman so look at the extra bucks I have to squander. ). That said, I am a total addict to NPR so it's not a connector for me.

All this said, if one wants to play individual songs and not have to use "play lists" then I guess one needs to go direct with the "cheapo" cable - which is what you are saying you found Neurotic, right? - and if one needs to charge it to get a plug in deal like rexicon's.

Sorry to beat this into the ground due to two people on our end who don't know what they're doing!

Last edited by Otra; 12-03-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: missed Neurotic's earlier post and more confusion
Old 12-03-2008 | 06:11 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Neurotic, do you mean this kind of thing, but much longer? And thus you play songs manually?

Last edited by Otra; 03-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2008 | 09:45 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Neurotic, do you mean this kind of thing, but much longer? And thus you play songs manually?

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit...pr_product_top

This should do the trick. Its cheap and it works! Thats if you want to do away w/ the factory cable. Indeed, you will be choosing your songs manually. Or you can do shuffle or just create a playlist or even an "on the go" playlist in which you choose each song you want on your ipod and hold down the center button (I think) and it'll automatically add it!

There's also this if you don't mind the color?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...gtCjCVRqCjCVRq

Last edited by NeuroticRobot; 12-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2008 | 04:20 AM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Many thanks for all your help, and everyone else's who has posted. I will show this thread to the only real iPod player in the family (thus far) and between all these things, we should be able to get it together.

Old 12-05-2008 | 12:07 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The USB line also allows the MFSW and dash screen to work. There is a serial to USB converter in the cable so that the car can control the iPod.

The serial to USB converter is why the standard iPod cable will not allow the iPod to work in the car. As a normal iPod at least.

If the iPod is used as a hard drive type device ( similar to a USB stick) then it will work but the iPod will not show the songs on it internal screen.
So the actual "sound" data is sent over the USB? Isn't the sound quality better over USB opposed to the AUX headphone jack ('cause the processing is done by the car stereo which should be better than the iPOD)?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008 | 01:53 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Here is one that is either two feet or three feet: http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html
That will work.

Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
It turns out all the cables that directly connect via AUX port on the ipod to the Mini gives you that loss in sound quality. The $3 male/female aux cable that connects the factory ipod cable to the mini had no difference in sound quality at all! It retained the same sound quality and now I have an extra 6FT of extension! Haha. Apparently the sound quality is much better when playing the ipod via the bottom dock connector! EUREKA! Hope I was able to help.
The reason for this is the iPod cable connector has an audio output on it that is direct from the Digital to Analog converter and does not have a variable output. The AUX/Headphone connection has an amplifier (very poor one) that allows the volume to be controlled via the volume adjustment. Thus a very dramatic reduction in sound quality.

Old 12-05-2008 | 03:19 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
That will work.

The reason for this is the iPod cable connector has an audio output on it that is direct from the Digital to Analog converter and does not have a variable output. The AUX/Headphone connection has an amplifier (very poor one) that allows the volume to be controlled via the volume adjustment. Thus a very dramatic reduction in sound quality.
...Cause Knowledge is power!

Old 12-07-2008 | 12:20 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
I'm not sure this is the case.

Originally Posted by richs10
When the ipod is being powered by the usb part of the Y adapter, it shuts off with the car.
Ipod 30g 5G must stay on when the car is turned off...when i come out in the morning the ipod is dead and doesn't want to sync with the MINI hifi for several minutes. The screen even says low battery and takes a few minutes with the car on until the battery indicator changes over to the charging icon. I'm going to start unplugging ipod each time i get out of car.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong cuz it is frustrating. It seemed that the ipod was not charging when plugged in (or at least not enough to keep it fully charged)....but i think it must be because it is staying on all the time when the car is off.

Old 12-08-2008 | 01:18 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mattmed03
Ipod 30g 5G must stay on when the car is turned off...when i come out in the morning the ipod is dead and doesn't want to sync with the MINI hifi for several minutes. The screen even says low battery and takes a few minutes with the car on until the battery indicator changes over to the charging icon. I'm going to start unplugging ipod each time i get out of car.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong cuz it is frustrating. It seemed that the ipod was not charging when plugged in (or at least not enough to keep it fully charged)....but i think it must be because it is staying on all the time when the car is off.
I have had a 30Gig 5G in my car for many days and it will always show charging unless it is fully charged.

The iPod will not shut off but the car should be providing power to charge it at all times. At least this is what mine does. and mine is a 04-08 build.

Old 12-08-2008 | 01:30 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dvhone
So the actual "sound" data is sent over the USB? Isn't the sound quality better over USB opposed to the AUX headphone jack ('cause the processing is done by the car stereo which should be better than the iPOD)?

Thanks
Actually the "Sound Data" is NOT sent over the USB. The connector in the bottom of the iPod has 30 pins in it two of them are used to charge it and 4 of them (2 right channel and 2 left channel) for sound which is then sent to the AUX connector for plug (mini audio jack, round with three silver areas) for conection to the AUX jack in the car. The other 24 pins are used for other functions (s-video, composite video, serial data, fire wire, usb)or not used.

There is no Digital out put on a iPod that can be used by a D/A Converter. It is all transfered to analog before being sent to the connector. So the car can not do the D/A conversion.

This is why some people like to use USB Sticks for music becasue then there is no transfer to analog before the car stereo.

IMHO niether sounds great but i would take the iPod over the USB Stick any day.

Old 12-09-2008 | 12:38 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
...IMHO niether sounds great but i would take the iPod over the USB Stick any day.
Thanks for the info, it's clear now. Why would you take the iPod over the USB?

Old 12-09-2008 | 01:41 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dvhone
Thanks for the info, it's clear now. Why would you take the iPod over the USB?
I have played with a few USB Sticks and not found one that sounds as good as the iPod.

Of course this is a subjective test and each person will not have the same response to the music as I do.

I find the D/A Converter that is built into ULF module before the radio is not of a very good quality and that the A/D Converter int he iPod sounds better.

The A/D converter for the CD player seems to be of good quality but still not up to the high end car audio market units.

Your experience with the sound will surely be different but i would be willing to bet that if you played a CD track in the car then played the same track on a newer generation iPod (g4 or g5 playing an AIFF file) and then a USB Stick (Playing a MP3 file at 256) you would also find that the CD sounds the best, the iPod second and the USB Stick third.

Now if you were to play the same track on the iPod and the USB stick at say 128kbps thenteh difference would not be as great and in fact they may soudn very similar. But then again an MP3 is a compressed file ans will never sound as good as the original or a not compressed file format.

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:34 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Thanks schatzy62...you rock!

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:38 AM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Ok, maybe Im posting on the wrong thread but still would appreciate if someone can help. My dealer says that my ipod/usb option DOES NOT include the short cable (Im in Mexico and that could be the reason) My question is: Is the cable worth the money? Where could I buy it in the USA? Any other aftermarket cable that would do the job?

This is just another headache on a long list I have already dealt with. Been waiting for my car for three months and hoping I will get it delivered this Saturday. A pleasurable experience has turned into a nightmare :(

Old 12-18-2008 | 07:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MINI MX
Ok, maybe Im posting on the wrong thread but still would appreciate if someone can help. My dealer says that my ipod/usb option DOES NOT include the short cable (Im in Mexico and that could be the reason)
Unfortunately it seems that the Mexico version does not include the cable. There have been others here from Mexico and have complained about the same thing, as well as people from Canada.

My question is: Is the cable worth the money?
As there are no other cables that will work exaclty the same way and give you the best performance it is up to you if it is worth it.

Where could I buy it in the USA?
Any US Dealer can get you one for around $100.00 - $110.00

Any other aftermarket cable that would do the job?
Unfortunately not the smae thing as the Mini cable does. There are other options but the sound quality is severly degraded.

This is just another headache on a long list I have already dealt with. Been waiting for my car for three months and hoping I will get it delivered this Saturday. A pleasurable experience has turned into a nightmare :(
I am sorry to hear that you experience has been so bad. You may wan to call Mini Mexico Headquarters and tell them how unhappy you are. It may help.

Old 12-18-2008 | 09:04 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Here is one that is either two feet or three feet: http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html

Otra - thank you for that link.

I think this really opens up the possibility of an inexpensive fix for the iphone in the armrest (with case no less!)

Old 12-18-2008 | 10:03 AM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Thanks Schatzy. By any chance do you know the part number for the cable?

Old 12-18-2008 | 10:08 AM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Glad to be helpful! I haven't moved forward on this myself, yet. Waiting for offspring who owns the iPod to come home from college before I make a move...perhaps it will be her Christmas present.

Let me know how it works out for you, rexicon.

Old 12-18-2008 | 10:43 AM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Glad to be helpful! I haven't moved forward on this myself, yet. Waiting for offspring who owns the iPod to come home from college before I make a move...perhaps it will be her Christmas present.

Let me know how it works out for you, rexicon.

LOL Otra! All this work and you still haven't resolved the issue? Whats your address, I'll have *Santa* bring you a solution!

Old 12-18-2008 | 11:02 AM
Otra
|
6th Gear
But, you see in this case I'm "Santa". This Santa has to check it out with the offspring before having the elves make it and load it on to the sleigh.

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:34 PM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Schatzy, I got the factory cable locally, thanks for your help.
Otra and Rexicon, would appreciate if you can let me know if the cablejive extension works fine and without losing sound quality. I would love to be able to put my ipod inside the armrest.

Old 12-19-2008 | 03:56 AM
richs10
5th Gear
I recommend that anyone who is contemplating purchasing the Y cable from MINI, to get a price check with Classic MINI in Ohio. They have a great Mail-Order set up, consistently beat the prices my local dealer wants for accessories, and give a NAM discount on top.

BTW, if anyone does check it out, I would love to hear what Classic wants for this cable.
Does anyone know the MINI part number???

Rich

Old 12-19-2008 | 06:00 AM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
Does anyone know the MINI part number???

Rich
BMS's part number for the y cable is 61120440812

Old 12-21-2008 | 08:38 AM
nickdg
Neutral
does ipod drain battery when car is off?

Just took delivery of my 2009 Clubman S (I LOVE IT!!). I have the USB/ipod adapter and nav system. My MA told me that I should not leave the ipod connected when the car is off, as it wil drain the battery. Is this true? I don't see why that sould happen, especially if the ipod is fully charged.

Quick Reply: R55 Factory iPod/Bluetooth cable question