R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Factory iPod/Bluetooth cable question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:34 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Factory iPod/Bluetooth cable question

Forgive me because I know that someone has posted about this - the work around for the too short iPod connecting cable that comes with the factory installed iPod/bluetooth connection that is under the center stack - but I just can't seem to find "the answer".

What kind of cable connector can I get that will lengthen the split cable that we've been given (I mean sold) by MINI if we need more length? Ultimately I'd like to be able to charge and play an iPod and have someone be able to hold the iPod, if they wanted to, without having to have it rest on their knee.

I know I read about this solution and I've searched and looked through my millions of subscribed threads, and just can't find the post.

I just know one of you out there has got the answer!

Old 11-28-2008 | 10:08 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Just put the ipod in the mesh holder on the passenger side of the hump & forget about it. Mine never leaves.

Old 11-28-2008 | 10:58 PM
trbasil
2nd Gear
You have two routes that you could go

First would be to get both one of these
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=18076#
and one of these
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=172258
any brand would work, and could be found for cheaper than what Belkin list these two examples. All you would have to do is to hook both cables in between the factory adapter and the car's ports. With various lengths available in both adapters you could fit the Ipod just about where ever you want. The draw back of this set-up would be the fact that you would have two cables running back to the center console.

The second (and better option IMHO) would be one of these type of cables
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8743
Then you just hook up the factory adapter to the car and leave it in the center console then run the cable between the adapter and the Ipod. With this solution you only have one cable running from you car to the ipod. Just make sure that if you choose a different one that it has the capability to remotly control the ipod, I have seen some that doesn't allow the function so the MFSW wouldn't beable to control the Ipod. I have seen these in a few different lengths, mostly 3 and 6 foot models.

Old 11-29-2008 | 12:57 AM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Bare careful about which extensions you buy! I didn't like the short length of the factory ipod cables either so I opted to use a straight up AUX cable from Phillips. The sound quality was very different with the factory cable sounding MUCH MUCH better. Got to see if I can find a better quality AUX cable now.

Old 11-29-2008 | 02:38 AM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Many thanks trbasil, and NeuroticRobot I will keep in mind your comments as well.

The reason I am interested in this has to do with a passenger in the back seat being able to look at and control the iPod directly. I am pretty basic when it comes to using an iPod, at least at this point, however my offspring thinks the interface between the radio controls and the iPod are pretty poor so she prefers to deal with it manually. Obviously not something one would/should do if one were actually driving while listening to one's iPod.

Again, thanks for those visuals and links, trbasil!

Old 11-29-2008 | 04:52 AM
MiniBoz
2nd Gear
The question that I would ask before you get the cable is this: I haven't been able to manually use the iPod when connect to the Cooper. I get the screen that says accessory attached. Is it a moot point, then? I have an iPod Touch and that may make a difference.

Old 11-29-2008 | 09:05 AM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
When the ipod is attached it is only controlled by the dash ***** or the mfsw.

Old 11-29-2008 | 09:07 AM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Miniboz,
You have a newer ipod that the car doesn't recognize. There is an adapter cable available though. I found this out when I tried to attach my Iphone G3.

Old 11-29-2008 | 01:41 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Otra,
I agree there may be several problems with what you are trying to accomplish. Specifically, the length of the extension cables affecting the sound and operation of the iPod, and being able to control the iPod when it is hooked up to the MINI

I use the Y adapter and store the iPod in the mesh holder. I have fed the wires under the edge of the cubby hole. I used a black piece of cardboard to cover the iPod. Its completely invisible and I leave it there permanently.

Since you cannot use the iPod controls when it is plugged into the auxiliary, I have learned how to make playlists. Every time I add a cd of music to the ipod, I create a playlist which I name the same as the album and include all the songs on the album. You can also make up other playlists if you want to mix songs.

Then you can sort through your music using the MINI controls for playlists. It works great for me.

Rich

Old 11-29-2008 | 01:47 PM
UPBull340
1st Gear
While trying to decide whether to order an 09 S or not this thread caught my attention. On anther topic does the IPOD turn OFF when you turn the engine off or does it remain ON until you manually turn it off.

Its annoying with my Lexus becuase when I turn the engine off it stays on since it uses the Lexus AUX connection.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2008 | 01:56 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UPBull340
While trying to decide whether to order an 09 S or not this thread caught my attention. On anther topic does the IPOD turn OFF when you turn the engine off or does it remain ON until you manually turn it off.

Its annoying with my Lexus becuase when I turn the engine off it stays on since it uses the Lexus AUX connection.

Thanks.
When the ipod is being powered by the usb part of the Y adapter, it shuts off with the car.

Old 11-29-2008 | 04:05 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Thanks richs10, if/when I end up having my own iPod I'll remember this and if/when the offspring has driving rights I will pass a law that said iPod must be used in such a way that one must never look at it or a bolt of lightning will strike!

Last edited by Otra; 11-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2008 | 05:19 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBoz
The question that I would ask before you get the cable is this: I haven't been able to manually use the iPod when connect to the Cooper. I get the screen that says accessory attached. Is it a moot point, then? I have an iPod Touch and that may make a difference.
This is the same for the iPhone but if you unplug the USB connection you have a simple aux connection and could control the iPod via the iPod itself. Obviously this leaves the iPod without power but if you really want to get fancy (which I've had to due to the Y-cable not charging the 3g iPhone consistently) you could procure one of these - a Kensington 4in1 charger from Amazon for $15 shipped:

(sorry bout the primitive lighting for my iPhone camera)

Old 12-01-2008 | 02:05 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Anyone know why both the USB and the headphone connections are required? Is the data sent over the USB or not?

Old 12-01-2008 | 05:40 PM
richs10
5th Gear
As far as I understand it, the USB line is to charge the iPod, and the Auxilliary line is for the music.

Old 12-01-2008 | 06:05 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by richs10
As far as I understand it, the USB line is to charge the iPod, and the Auxilliary line is for the music.
The USB line also allows the MFSW and dash screen to work. There is a serial to USB converter in the cable so that the car can control the iPod.

The serial to USB converter is why the standard iPod cable will not allow the iPod to work in the car. As a normal iPod at least.

If the iPod is used as a hard drive type device ( similar to a USB stick) then it will work but the iPod will not show the songs on it internal screen.

Old 12-01-2008 | 09:29 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dvhone
Anyone know why both the USB and the headphone connections are required? Is the data sent over the USB or not?
With the iPhone the sound is coming via the aux cable the usb is charging(some times) and doing the remote controlling. If you put a flash drive with mp3’s the MINI decodes and plays the files. With the iPHone the phone still does the decode. I think.

Old 12-02-2008 | 05:31 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The USB line also allows the MFSW and dash screen to work. There is a serial to USB converter in the cable so that the car can control the iPod.

The serial to USB converter is why the standard iPod cable will not allow the iPod to work in the car. As a normal iPod at least.

If the iPod is used as a hard drive type device ( similar to a USB stick) then it will work but the iPod will not show the songs on it internal screen.

The above explanation is why Schatzy gets paid the big bucks around here!

Rich

Old 12-02-2008 | 07:54 AM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Too true!

I, on the other hand, seem to learn by doing, as opposed to understanding.

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
When the ipod is being powered by the usb part of the Y adapter, it shuts off with the car.
In my car (08) it does not actually shut off. It stops the music but keeps voltage applied to the iPod for charging purposes.

I know this because if have had very weak battery in my iPod after hiking and just connected it to the car for a few hours with out starting the car and presto i have a charged battery.

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The above explanation is why Schatzy gets paid the big bucks around here!

Rich
I digress here but where is all this money i am supposedly paid.

Only kidding. I do it just to help out others and help them have the best Mini experience they can.

Otra:

if you really want the iPod to be controlled from the iPod itself then a aux cable and a charger are what you need. but there are over 1000 different choices of cables.

Your best bet may be to use the items that rexicon shows in his post and the get one of these (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8743) to extend the Mini cable to the rear seats. This only has one cable running to the back instead of two.

Old 12-03-2008 | 12:23 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Otra!

I found a solution to my problem! I tried going with the conventional AUX cable to extend the ipod's teach however I noticed a significant loss in sound quality. So the other day I went to Frys electronics and bough 4 types of connections: a $10 nickel plated aux cable, a $14 platinum aux cable, a $3 male/female aux extension cable and a $15 male/female aux extension.

It turns out all the cables that directly connect via AUX port on the ipod to the Mini gives you that loss in sound quality. The $3 male/female aux cable that connects the factory ipod cable to the mini had no difference in sound quality at all! It retained the same sound quality and now I have an extra 6FT of extension! Haha. Apparently the sound quality is much better when playing the ipod via the bottom dock connector! EUREKA! Hope I was able to help.

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:53 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
NeuroticRobot - this is exactly what my husband (who is not an audiophile at all and knows nothing about iPods) has been looking for but he went to a local store and was told they didn't exist. I think it was an FYE store.

Can you give me the Item# ? I'm looking at http://shop4.frys.com/search?cat=-59084&pType=pDisplay right now.

....And yet,
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I digress here but where is all this money i am supposedly paid.

Only kidding. I do it just to help out others and help them have the best Mini experience they can.

Otra:

if you really want the iPod to be controlled from the iPod itself then a aux cable and a charger are what you need. but there are over 1000 different choices of cables.

Your best bet may be to use the items that rexicon shows in his post and the get one of these (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8743) to extend the Mini cable to the rear seats. This only has one cable running to the back instead of two.
Thank you Schatzy, and I appreciate your help - gratis - now this is apparently really what my husband was looking for not what NeuroticRobot posted about...but hey - all suggestions welcome. *This is after I've just showed him everyone's helpful posts. So this would allow the same sound to be heard plus let the iPod keep charging. Unfortunately this one is out of stock!
iPod Extension Cable
sku: DEV-08743

Description: The Dock Extender Cable is a high-quality male to female extension cable that allows you to dock your iPod or iPhone from a distance. This cable is compatible with the iPhone, iPod (touch, classic, video), and iPod nano (1st, 2nd, 3rd generation). The cable is 6 feet in length.

The Dock Extender Cable provides a connection for the following functionality:

Audio output
Playlist control (forward, backward, play, pause, etc)
Charging
USB data sync
Composite video
Accessory power output
Accessory identification
The Dock Extender Cable does not connect S-video output or audio in for recording.

Inside the Dock Extender Cable is high quality 28-gauge wire for for superior audio quality and speedy data transfer. The cable is one solid (black or white) color from end to end.
And rexicon - if I didn't thank you I say "Mea Culpa" and thank you for your post and photo!

Last edited by Otra; 12-03-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: more reading and looking
Old 12-03-2008 | 05:14 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
I don't see it listed there but you can use that headphone splitter by belkin for $3.99. Should work. I do agree having an extension/charger connection is much more useful but im just looking at more wires and cables everywhere. Im pretty content with at least getting the cable to extend a bit further without sacrificing any audio quality. I have a sep. car charger for the ipod which ill charge if Im ever listening to NPR.

Male/female aux cables shouldn't be too hard to find. FYE definitelywouldn't have it. Try a radio shack, best buy, circuit city, maybe even Walmart and or Target. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:16 PM
Otra
|
6th Gear
Here is one that is either two feet or three feet: http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html

Quick Reply: R55 Factory iPod/Bluetooth cable question