R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Why we chose the Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why we chose the Clubman

It fits our weekends

My wife is a competative Dressage rider {Equestrian Sport} and damn good at it [4th level US Dressage Federation Adult Amateur Champion Regon 7 >CA,HI, NV.] We are also Cyclists. On the weekends we head out to the barn and she rides for a hour or so and I go out for a run, then we switch gears and head out on the bikes. The clubman holds 2 sets of cycling gear, her Equestrian gear, my running stuff, an ice chest. and dry post work out clothes for two

From today, it was a pleasant 42* out

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
lilliux
3rd Gear
Why I chose the clubby

I'll add my 2-cents:

#1 To quote a review of the clubby, I have more than one friend that might want to ride with me at any point in time.

#2 I needed room for a 80 lb. German Shepherd named Niall see below:

#3 Out of all the cars I have looked at in my quest, the clubby was the only one that fit all my criteria. And, it was "just right". Kinda like Goldilocks

Old 12-07-2008, 08:46 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
yeah it also just fits Annie our Bouvier, Jake our Aussie, and Kozmo our Mini Aussie

Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
LOL, same for us. Our Old English Sheepdog won't fit in a std Mini if we want to take anything else with us.

charlie

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
(laughs) Great pics, guys...

As an owner of a 60 pound Aussie / Husky mix, am I right that the rear seats in the Clubman fold completely flat...providing an ideal respite for our furry friends? Is it necessary to place a liner in the rear cargo area to prevent paws from falling through cracks, seams, etc?

Buzzcut, looks like the Mrs.' ride is either a 5200 or a 5500...(I'm guessing 5200, as the front brakeset appears to be Ultegra)...around a 52cm...with Polar sensor and SpeedPlay pedals (also my pedals of choice for past 15 years) ...but I can't make out your ride, except it does not appear to be oversized tubing, so I'm guessing a conventional steel frame. How do you like your rack system mounted to the outside of the factory roof rails? Judging from the size of your frameset, it appears you are in the 6'2" + range, thus I would not have thought it necessary for you to afix your bike rack attachments to the outside. I'm guessing this was more for your wife...?

I Do like the Clubby in Sparkling Silver with black contrast -- no matter how many times I play with the MINI configurator, I seem to end up with that color combination quite often.

Last edited by SpeedPedal; 12-07-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Speedpedal

My ride is a 61cm Colnago Masterlight X and yes it is Steel

I mounted the Thule lockjaws to the outside to not block the view out of the sunroofs and to give better access to the front wheel mounts on the rear crossbar. It is much easier to put the bike in the tray and less chance of slipping and scratching the car plus there is that odd occasion where we will put a small cargo box on the cross bars with the bikes outboard [slide the front wheel mounts far outboard and remove the antenna]

Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 PM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
<<I mounted the Thule lockjaws to the outside to not block the view out of the sunroofs and ...>>

Interesting...I prefer mine on the inside for precisely the reason you do not -- to block my view, which serves to remind me they're there ...nothing like a helpful reminder immediately before I enter the garage.

I must say...your Colnago is absolutely gorgeous. 2 Thanks for the pic.

Cheers !!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
My reasons are similar - bikes will fit on top, or one will fit inside - 100 pound Chow/Newfoundland mix - we can comfortably take my daughter and her boyfriend out to dinner - and I can load it up for a run to the transfer station (aka "dump"). Some folks on the forum with regular Coopers ask why a Clubman....well, a regular coupe would simply not have been an option....

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
When the seats fold flat the little 'flaps' nicely cover all the openings that might catch a paw. We tend to make a bed back there with blankets and such so don't worry about that.

For quick trips Maggie likes to just ride in the back seat. She finds that she can 'brace' herself against the back of the seat when her 'parents' are cornering or accelerating briskly. :D

charlie

Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Alphawave
Hahahaha...no wonder ya'll NEED 'S's....you need the extra oomph just to carry ALL THAT STUFF! :P Nice pics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tncd84NYJ1Y

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Barchinski
2nd Gear
Buzcut1

My name is Andrew and I will soon be a clubbie owner. I love how dedicated you are to cycling. That's a big reason i love the clubman and how versatile it is. Check out my website when you get a chance, I just got it up and maybe it will keep you busy on those slow work days.

www.bargainroadbikes.com

Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Wish I had roof rails . Your setup looks great.

Going to give up on finding a decent hitch for a bike rack and probably bite the bullet on a roof rack.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well we don't have pets or sports hobbies but did choose the Clubman for many reasons but most importantly to gain a little more rear seat and cargo room for our growing son. Also we wanted a comfortable, fast and economical car for road trips.

The Clubman is simply put a more practical MINI.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by portablevcb
When the seats fold flat the little 'flaps' nicely cover all the openings that might catch a paw. We tend to make a bed back there with blankets and such so don't worry about that.
Thanks for the info, Charlie. My wife and I are planning on adding a MINI in a few months (while keeping our '05 MCSa) -- she wants the new convertible but I'm taking a hard look at the Clubman (probably the S, but perhaps the JCW) for our Aussie and bike gear. We have an '07 Subaru LL Bean Outback which surprisingly has very little room behind the second row seats, and with those seats folded flat there are too many holes for paws to slip through. The Clubman seems like just the right size for the occasional jaunt for my dog to "go for a ride in the car" with his "parents" (you are obviously a dog lover)( )( ), while retaining the steering feel, handling, etc., that makes a MINI so enjoyable to drive.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
six-fingers
4th Gear
lately I've been wishing i had gotten the clubman S instead of my MCS, but then again i'm sure if i had gone the other way i'd bee sitting here say i wish i had an MCS, don't get me wrong i love my car more then my girlfriend (don't tell her, we have been dating for 2 years) anyways its great all you guys love the clubman, its sweet. now to see how cool the MINI SUV is from what i've read it looks like its gonna turn out pretty good

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Barchinski
Buzcut1

My name is Andrew and I will soon be a clubbie owner. I love how dedicated you are to cycling. That's a big reason i love the clubman and how versatile it is. Check out my website when you get a chance, I just got it up and maybe it will keep you busy on those slow work days.

www.bargainroadbikes.com
me? dedicated to cycling ? Naw..... ok busted