R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Chrome Line Interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Barchinski
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Line Interior

I know this thread has been started and ended in different places throughout this Forum, but I'm going to continue it here with an issue on my ordering process and the way the dealer is acting.

I am ordering a 2009 JCW with upgraded sound and leather upholstery....a bulletin from mini states,

"So there we were, scratching our heads when started sending emails about not getting the Chrome rings around the door speakers. At, first, it seems like a glitch in the matrix, but it turns out, it depends on how you equip a MINI with Chromeline as it affects what is chrome and what isn't.

The door speaker rings come in four finishes-matte black, matte silver, bright chrome, and dark chrome. Stating at the top, when you order an R56 or R55 without Chromeline interior and no upholstery upgrades, the speaker rings are matte black on the Cooper and matte silver on the Cooper S.

You only get bright chrome rings on the door speakers if you've ordered option 345 and have upgraded the interior surfaces or upholstery to one of the lethers or cloth/leather combos.

Lastly, if you order Chromeline interior in the combination with 6FD Hi-Fi sound, the speaker rings will be dark chrome no matter what interior or upholstery you order."

Now this is what the dealer sent to me. They even went out to the lot and checked a few cars with the upgraded sound and it indeed has the dark chrome rings. What they are me is that if i wanted to get all bright chrome, which would match, I have to pay maybe over $500 dollars because they would need to pull the doors off and glue stuff. Does anyone know more about this or have pictures of the dark chrome rings. Why would mini make it a darker color and not match all the other gadge clusters?

Help please...

Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately this is a not just a Mini thing. Many toher manufactures do the same sort of thing.

Now i do not have an 09 nor a JCW nor Chrome Line Interior. BUt what i can tell you is there is "NO GLUING" involved in changing these parts.

Yes the door panels do have to come off but all the chrome line pieces are snapped in place. i believe that there is a some where on the forums here instructions on how to replace ALL the chrome line pieces.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchinski
I know this thread has been started and ended in different places throughout this Forum, but I'm going to continue it here...
I think using one of the existing threads would have been a better idea, that's why you're asked to do so.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just order them after market.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barchinski

"So there we were, scratching our heads when started sending emails about not getting the Chrome rings around the door speakers. At, first, it seems like a glitch in the matrix, but it turns out, it depends on how you equip a MINI with Chromeline as it affects what is chrome and what isn't.

The door speaker rings come in four finishes-matte black, matte silver, bright chrome, and dark chrome. Stating at the top, when you order an R56 or R55 without Chromeline interior and no upholstery upgrades, the speaker rings are matte black on the Cooper and matte silver on the Cooper S.

You only get bright chrome rings on the door speakers if you've ordered option 345 and have upgraded the interior surfaces or upholstery to one of the lethers or cloth/leather combos.

Lastly, if you order Chromeline interior in the combination with 6FD Hi-Fi sound, the speaker rings will be dark chrome no matter what interior or upholstery you order."

Help please...
I personally think this is nonsense, as nowhere does it say on the website and I am betting at the dealer, that WHEN you order an upgraded upholstery or upgraded hi-fi that the door trim will be different if you do so ... the fair thing to do on MINI's end is to add chrome trim rings everywhere they should be if you order the Chrome Line package.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
Barchinski, there are at least two other threads that discuss this at length. Here is one of them https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-include.html Mini and some dealers are being extremely disingenuous on this issue. The parts are manufactured and available and fit no matter whether the vehicle is a "justa" or an "S." The last time I looked, the Mini configurator makes no exceptions if the Chrome Line Option is ordered, and if a person does so, it should be insisted upon if it is not on the vehicle. Further, in the thread above and the other one, as I recall, virtually every combination of interiors has arrived at one time or another with the Chrome Line Option installed. Why Mini does what it is doing on this issue and why some dealers do the same may be one of the great mysteries of our time.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I changed to chromeline interior myself (after market) and most of the pieces are easy but some are difficult and require a lot of work. This may explain the dealers reluctance.