R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Big jump in leasing cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I agree you have to read all the fine print. Simple as that!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leasing is for fools and no matter how much you try to rationalize it, changing cars every 3 years is the perfect recipe for long term financial disaster...

Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
...changing cars every 3 years is the perfect recipe for long term financial disaster...
That statement counts as the biggest load of B.S. I've heard all day...no, make that all week.

I can't fathom how changing a car every few years causes financial disaster.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
That statement counts as the biggest load of B.S. I've heard all day...no, make that all week.

I can't fathom how changing a car every few years causes financial disaster.
Tell that to him:

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/askdav...ntItemId=10367

Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
Leasing is for fools and no matter how much you try to rationalize it, changing cars every 3 years is the perfect recipe for long term financial disaster...
Did you sell all your stock when Dave Ramsey told you to?

Look YOU may find YOURself a financial genius but it does not make your statement the COLD HARD Facts for EVERYONE!
The ONLY way to tell if a Lease will work for you is to do a little homework, and figure out what YOU want. Spend some time with the guy who does your paperwork. Have him show you ALL the numbers! Look at what a conventional payment plan will cost you, look with 24,36,48, and 60 months. Then look at what a lease 24, 36, 48 month, and with the different mileage. Also have him show you how things will change with cash down. Ask to look at EVERYTHING and take your time while do so, it only takes a few flicks of the keys to change things so you can make an informed decision. It is worth it to look at all your options.
Please dont look at at what some guy you may never see, tell you that you are a fool. Make up your own mind, and figure out what works best for YOU.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Alphawave
HAHAHAHA!!! You crack me up.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Actually - leasing can be appropriate for smart consumers that know their way around cap cost (reductions), money factors, residuals, dealer and manufacturer incentives and the tax code.

Blanket statements are for fools and easily rebutted:

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/car...8/car0107.html

Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Whiskerychief
Neutral
Been leasing vehicles for years, no regrets here. I just recently turned in an '05 Infiniti FX35. Had it on autotrader for almost a year, couldn't move it due to the "poor" gas mileage rating and fuel hovering around $4 @ gallon. I turned the vehicle in last week and walked away. If I had purchased it I would be "stuck" in a vehicle that I no longer wanted, would have lost a couple thousand dollars on any trades. I have an 09 MCS on order, should be here around the end of the month. Got a 2 year lease set up on it. Looking forward to "motoring" in my new MINI.........

Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Leasing a car instead of buying is like renting an apartment instead of buying a house. There are times when both make sense.

Some people rent an apt their entire lives. If you are going to move frequently or can't do/don't want yard work, it makes a lot of sense. But, you also need to make sure your finances are such that you can cover the rent costs when you retire, rather than owning a house with no mortgage payment.

Same with cars.

There are good reasons for leasing. I have not heard many of them here. Most express the desire to change cars frequently just because you change your mind or get tired of a purchase. If you can afford things like that then go for it, but, many cannot. If you are using a lease as an excuse for making poor choices in purchasing then that is not a good idea. Instead, make a purchase for sound reasons.

In fact, one of the 'hooks' for getting someone to buy a car that they are hesitant about is to offer them a short term lease. Lower monthly payments and if you don't like it you can take it back. Nothing is said about losing all the money you paid into it. Dealers make out well since the leasee (leasor?) pays for all the depreciation on the car and they still get full resale value (or more) at the end of the lease.

charlie

Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM
wvphoto
3rd Gear
i have leased several cars thru my business.. just did a honda s2000 ..turned it in back in august.. no fees or excess charges..
$ 388 month with taxes included.no money down
if you lease a car with superb residual value.. the cost is low. i dont keep a car very long anyway.
so it worked for me.
i write everything off thru my business.. 'company car'
so it is very cost effective for me.
yes.. it is renting a car.. but hey.. it was fun.. and i could not have bought it and sold it for the money i paid..
doesn't work for everyone.. but i have had good luck
now i have a used mini and a miata.. LOL
cheap cars.. i love them

Old 12-19-2008, 10:05 PM
rPod
1st Gear
This may be the dumbest thing I have read on the internet this year.