R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Grocery Bag Holder -- An Easy Reach?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grocery Bag Holder -- An Easy Reach?

OK...laugh at me for asking this if you like... (and if this has already been addressed in another thread, I apologize -- I searched and didn't see anything...)...but --

I have the MINI grocery bag holder in my '05 MCSa and love it. Now that the Mrs. and I are thinking of getting a clubbie so the pooch can share in the experience, I'm wondering ... due to the increased distance to the back of the rear seats....have any Clubman owners here had this bag holder installed, and if so, is it an easy reach for someone of average height? Or is this option only useful in the coupe? Thanks for any help !!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
If you are referring to the peice that attaches to the rear of the back seats and has the hoops to hang plastic grocery bags from, it would be an easy reach from the rear doors. It's only about 24" - 30" from the doors to the back of the rear seats.

If you are asking aboput reaching it from the rear seats, you could but you would be restricted by the height of the seat back in relation to the roof as far as lifting the bags over the rear seat.

There's no way you could reach it from the front seats. I couldn't even come close and I'm 6'4" w/ monkey arms.

Was that your question?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I do not have the Bag Holder installed but have been thinking of getting one as the grocery bags always end up sliding around. I have had bags sit right behind the rear seat and had no problem reaching them so it would thing that the holder would actually make it easier to grab the bags as the handle would then be easily accessible, rather than be under the items in the bag.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
I also researched installation and use of the MINI option 'bag holder' but decided I wanted to retain the flat floor with the rear seat backs folded down. The bag holders screw on to the rear seat back and stick up a bit. This would prevent easy, one person, sliding of flat loads. This is probably only an issue to me. My compromise is to fold the top most rear floor panel to it's open position and stack the parcels in the recessed boot.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bag holder???? Anyone have a picture they could show of one installed?

Thanks...

Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 AM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Ours came with the fold up 'box' that allows you to put bags in it and not have them slide around. It takes up about half the space with the seats up. If you're strong enough you can just carry it in instead of carrying all the littler bags.

If I have enough stuff to lay the seats down, then there is so much that sliding around doesn't matter.

I would not want hooks on the seat backs. It is a little bit of a stretch to get to them, but, not bad.

charlie

Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mbu
Bag holder???? Anyone have a picture they could show of one installed?

Thanks...
Check out this site they have a picture of it installed on an older model but they look the same on the back of the clubman seat

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
schatzy62,

Thanks for the link! I don't know how that would work as those "plastic" bags don't have much strength.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
@Greg -- yes, that was my (intended) question -- standing from the rear of the vehicle. Thanks.

@schatzy -- (I named my old German Shepherd "Schatzy"...hmmmm) Thanks for providing the link -- it's also depicted on the MINI Configurator for the Coupe and Clubman >> Step 6 >> Interior Items >> 4th item over -- priced at $25.

@mbu -- I installed mine and thus was able to place it at a height that allows the bottom of the plastic bags to touch the carpet, providing additional support. I thought it was a gimmick before I tried it, but I use the holder every time I place groceries in the car and it really works -- no metal cans flying around, etc.

@moe-jiller -- I really appreciate your comment. One of the reasons we are considering a Clubman is to give the pooch a chance to motor with us. I really like the fact that the floor is completely flat with the Clubbie's rear seats folded down, which is NOT the case with our '05 MCSa. Frankly, I had not given any thought to the fact that the bag holder would stick up a bit and possibly snag on a blanket back there, etc. Thanks for your observation.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
SpeedPedal: One more observation -- You mentioned a Pooch. With the rear seat back folded down there is a gap between the seat back floor area and the flat rear boot area. This gap is covered by a carpet covered plactic flap. With out some additional flooring it is possible for a pooch leg to get into that 5" +/- deep gap/hole. Just a heads up. ajm

Old 12-19-2008, 09:28 PM
SpeedPedal
1st Gear
@moe-jiller -- I had asked about the flatness of the floor area on another thread and heard words to the effect, "no problem -- it's flat -- your pooch will love it back there." So I find your comment somewhat surprising. Obviously, I'll check out a Clubbie myself on this issue before pulling out the checkbook -- my dealer is about 100 miles from me, though, and I don't know anyone with a Clubman locally, so I really haven't inspected one myself. That's why comments like yours are so helpful. Perhaps others here who transport their poochs in their Clubmans can describe the "additional flooring" that works for them.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the FYI. Happy holiday !!

Last edited by SpeedPedal; 12-20-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Our Sheepdog likes riding in the back seat. When we go on longer trips we will lay the seats flat and put her bed in there.

The small flaps can come up if stepped on just right. Most of the time the dog can simply lift their leg up and out. At least, ours can. If your dog has just the right size leg, and steps on it just right, it might get stuck.

charlie

Old 12-20-2008, 05:04 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I really like the fact that I can put the bags in the fold up box too! No need for the hangers really. I suppose it is just personal preference, but heck, $29.00 for a little plastic clip? Just can't justify that one.

In regards to the pooch in the rear, my two labs love it! I got the side covers and the full rear pads from poochstyle.com and they really do the job. I also put clear leaf bags over the cloth seats before putting the pads in so the drool does not muck up my rear of the seats or the headrests. This works great. There are pics on their web site too of my labs and the covers. I can't say enough kind words about their quality and customer service. Clearly hand made and not mass produced to the masses and reasonably priced as well.

Attached Thumbnails Grocery Bag Holder -- An Easy Reach?-r-and-rpursedesign2-copy.jpg