R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Barn door hydraulic removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barn door hydraulic removal

Does anyone know if the hydraulics on the barndoors can be easily removed?

Regarding the hydraulics:

Positive: They help the barn doors open without much effort.

Negative: I have to slam the right door extra hard or else the door is only partially closed. This happens to me approximately every third time. For passengers of mine, it happens almost all the time.

So for me, the hydraulics are doing more harm than good. Does anyone know if they can be easily removed? And if so, would the door function like any other door? Any chance that they wouldn't stay open without hydraulics?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that they are hydraulics but instead gas charged struts. They should be very similar to the struts that hold up the hatch/boot on a regular Mini. They shouldn't be too hard to remove once you get access to them but I wouldn't recommend removing them. Over time they will weaken a bit and become easier to use.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully they'll loosen up over time. If they're still the same in 6 months, I might see if I can remove them altogether. I prefer to slam doors vs pushing each one all the way shut.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The Gas Struts are very easy to remove.

The right and left struts are different. Left side opens door all the way in one swoop. The right strut has a stop at just open at approximately 1.5" and then when pulled past 1/2 way will open the door fully.

The only problem with removing them is that the right and (passenger side) door will not open properly with out it. I know this as i have broken both struts. I was trying to get something old heavy 27" TV out of the car and fell against the right door and the TV fell against the left door pushing both doors beyond the strut limit and snapping the ends off. At this point it was rather difficult to open the right door as it has no pressure on it to open.

They did loosen up a slight bit over time though, so you may find it easier to close after a few months of use.

Edit: No they will not stay open if the struts are removed and in fact could actually do more harm to car.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Thanks for the thoughts, Shatzy...I think I'll hold off. I believe I have overly strong struts...is there anyway to speed up the "break in" process short of constantly opening and closing these doors?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Parkerton
Thanks for the thoughts, Shatzy...I think I'll hold off. I believe I have overly strong struts...is there anyway to speed up the "break in" process short of constantly opening and closing these doors?
Not that i know of. I oopen and close mine probably 2-3 times a day on avearge, some days more but some days not at all.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Another thing to consider is that during the summer months, they will be stronger due to the gas charge in them expanding. They will be weaker in the winter months due to contraction. Just food for thought.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
minimarine
2nd Gear
If they are gas charges, there must be a way to service them. It seems like with the right tool, you should be able to release some gas and in turn reduce the tension.

I don't have my clubbie yet, so I can't check myself.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarine
If they are gas charges, there must be a way to service them. It seems like with the right tool, you should be able to release some gas and in turn reduce the tension.

I don't have my clubbie yet, so I can't check myself.
I very seriously doubt that that is possible. Generally items like that are sealed units.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:36 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
My gas charged strut for the right side barn door failed tonight :(

The strut was working fine until earlier today.... Anyway it fails to hold the door open and slams right back onto you.

First warranty claim since taking delivery in Feb. I have booked an appt to get the strut replaced under warranty next week.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
+1 to this. These doors are damn heavy and won't stay opened without the struts

How difficult/easy is to replace them? Anyway I already have booked an appointment to get it taken care of under warranty

Originally Posted by schatzy62
The Gas Struts are very easy to remove.

The right and left struts are different. Left side opens door all the way in one swoop. The right strut has a stop at just open at approximately 1.5" and then when pulled past 1/2 way will open the door fully.

The only problem with removing them is that the right and (passenger side) door will not open properly with out it. I know this as i have broken both struts. I was trying to get something old heavy 27" TV out of the car and fell against the right door and the TV fell against the left door pushing both doors beyond the strut limit and snapping the ends off. At this point it was rather difficult to open the right door as it has no pressure on it to open.

They did loosen up a slight bit over time though, so you may find it easier to close after a few months of use.

Edit: No they will not stay open if the struts are removed and in fact could actually do more harm to car.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The struts are very easy (at least i think so) to remove and replace.

1. Open door and if you have someone else around ask them to hold it for you.

2. On each end there is a small metal clip that slides out thru the groves you see in the ball socket.

3. Use a small flat blade screw driver to force the clip to slide out.

4. Repeat for second end.

5. Put new strut on and move clips to the locked (in) position.

6. Go drink a Beer as you just saved yourself at least a half hours worth of labor at the dealer

Old 12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The struts are very easy (at least i think so) to remove and replace.

1. Open door and if you have someone else around ask them to hold it for you.

2. On each end there is a small metal clip that slides out thru the groves you see in the ball socket.

3. Use a small flat blade screw driver to force the clip to slide out.

4. Repeat for second end.

5. Put new strut on and move clips to the locked (in) position.

6. Go drink a Beer as you just saved yourself at least a half hours worth of labor at the dealer

Thanks for the detailed step-by-step instructions. It does really look like a 5-10 minute max job.

It seems to me the barn door design does put a lot more stress on these struts than a conventional hatch. But the thing just simply gave in (You can hear the air fisss out of the strut assembly when actuating the door). Very weird, never had one of those struts dying so early so I chalk it up to a defective "Stabilus" strut.

Anyway, the dealer did not have the replacement right side strut (and required ball sockets) so the parts were ordered today. It is booked to get it replaced under warranty next Wed. The strut is cheap like $30 bucks and the 2 ball sockets are $2. Probably could have done it myself, but what the heck... I am going to let the dealer deal with it under warranty.

Nice excuse Wed morning for a 30 mile drive, nice breakfast at the place around the corner from the service dept and a free car wash

Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The strut comes with the ball sockets built on to it. The ***** that it attaches to just screw in to the body and door. I see no need for them to change the ***** as they are just made of steel and unless snapped should be just fine. The ball sockets on the other hand are plastic and manufactured to break if there is to much stress put on the strut.