R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Is $500 off MSRP typical right now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 04:51 AM
NJ Clubman
|
3rd Gear
Is $500 off MSRP typical right now?

Hi, folks.
If this is captured in another current thread, my apologies -- I couldn't find it while searching extensively.

My wife and I have started shopping for her clubbie now (). I find $500 off is about the best I can do here in the NY area. Even looking at New England and Philly area dealers, there are no offers better than $500.

Since more options = more profit, it's relevant to discuss her ideal build (insert favorite male physique joke here ). She wants auto, Premium, and little else, so we are talking about a car that is in the $23k range.

Is anyone finding deeper discounts? If so, where and on what?

Old 01-02-2009 | 05:30 AM
JTreehorn
Neutral
That has been my experience in Boston on a car that was custom ordered.

I didn't get exact numbers but was told there would be a better deal for cars on the lot. Of course that was in the past few weeks, end of Month, end of Year. I am sure it will be similar toward the end of this Month, especially if you catch them on a slow evening. For most of us in the Northeast, the economic conditions and season should help your bargaining power.

Best of Luck

Old 01-02-2009 | 12:32 PM
drewpoeppel
1st Gear
I ordered my MCS here in Milwaukee, WI. just last week. Got $1000 off MSRP and $1000 for my trade-in, that CARMAX said was only worth $750. Plus they threw in all the mats and glovebox/boot doodads. I did have to call 2 dealers in the Chicago area to find one that would offer any deals over the phone though, once i found that, my dealership here matched it.

Old 01-03-2009 | 12:50 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
No, $500 off MSRP on a new MINI is not typical ever. So if you can get $500 off or better, you're doing well.

Old 01-03-2009 | 04:00 PM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
The past, the present and the future are three different time periods, to state the obvious.

Apparently in the past there were no discounts from list. It appears from several posts that there are discounts in the present. Judging by the number of cars on dealer lots, there may be discounts in the future.

My guess is the greatest discounts are those on the lot, although the first car I ever bought I ordered, and got a much better deal than I would have off the lot, since the dealer had no money tied up in an ordered model.

Old 01-04-2009 | 06:43 PM
minimarine
2nd Gear
CARMAX Blows

Originally Posted by drewpoeppel
$1000 for my trade-in, that CARMAX said was only worth $750
Congrats on your good deal. However, what Carmax offers you for a car is not worth much more than the paper it's printed on. Sorry, but my one experience I've had with Carmax was awful. The offer they made on my car was not just low but a complete insult, in every sense of the word. It was all I could do just to walk out of the dealership without breaking anything.

I'm sure they are better when you are buying something from them, but I would stay FAR away from their offer to "buy your car even if you don't buy from us."

Old 01-04-2009 | 07:52 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
No, $500 off MSRP on a new MINI is not typical ever. So if you can get $500 off or better, you're doing well.
+1.

Almost unheard of in my experience.

Old 01-04-2009 | 08:59 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Old 01-10-2009 | 08:43 AM
MiaMia
Neutral
Do you really want discounts?
Do you people not understand what that does to your resale value?
MINI builds value by not bastardising their product with discounts and cash backs and incentives and subsidized interest rates.
You beg for discounts will only hurt you in the end. ie. see anyone who owns anything OTHER than a MINI.
"In this economy" comment makes me ill because "in this economy" we should be putting money into our country to HELP the economy not use it as a crutch to get a deep discount.
You will not find MINI dealers dealing on a special order or instock unless they are a horrible dealership, like bad CSI and bad service etc. Those are the desperadoes and those will be filtered out and gone, because MINI does not like to see no profit here in the US. If that happens, they will pull the product out of the US. They cannot afford to discount because the car has already been discounted to be affordable to us cheap wads here in the US.
We ***** about 4$ a gallon gas, check out the gas prices in Europe and check out the cost of a MINI in England where its produced! Please people, come to reality, that WE make our economy, and lets help ourselves help our economy.

Old 01-10-2009 | 10:34 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Those are all very good points I had not considered. I just felt if that was the MSRP I would be willing to order what I wanted(worth a lot to me)and pay the price. I don't appreciate when a client or employer asks me for a discount on my rate, does anyone?I think you are right as well about weeding out dealers unless they are making a lot of sales..Anyways, I dig my car and I am sure if I got to the point of refusing the car when delivered. I would now, in retrospect have to know I was making a mistake for a little discount. Nor worth it , after chasing around for a few bucks, pay and enjoy..Thanks

Old 01-10-2009 | 10:36 AM
timubik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiaMia
"In this economy" comment makes me ill because "in this economy" we should be putting money into our country to HELP the economy not use it as a crutch to get a deep discount.
I completely agree with Mia on the point of rampant discounting affecting resale value. However, isn't "buying things at inflated costs on the promise of more value in the future" how our economy got this way in the first place? (e.g. Wall St. and real estate). Consumers shouldn't be so naive to accept higher costs for the sake of propping up the economy - savings on a car purchase can be spent elsewhere (NAM vendors?).

A lot of people don't treat a car as an investment either. If you are planning to keep your car until it won't run anymore, then you absolutely want to get your Mini at the lowest possible price. What's really important in these days is that all goods manufactured get purchased - consumers needs to spend, but spend wisely and within their means.

[disclaimer - I have a Clubman on order for MSRP]

Old 01-10-2009 | 11:47 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
MiaMia: Even though spending helps the economy, at the micro level, you'd be better off purchasing a locally made vehicle if your intent is to help the economy. Like you said, there's very little dealer incentives when selling these vehicles so most of the price goes back to the manufacture(not American based). Why are you equating discounts to inferior products? Toyota has always been associated with quality AND is made in the USA. Yet they STILL give out discounts. If you truly believe that the profit margin on a BMW vehicle is the same as a Toyota, then you're sorely mistaken. I bet that BMW has more room to give discounts compared to Toyota. Only difference is BMW is a luxury brand and so has inelastic goods. Basic law of elasticity of demand.

OP: International Mini had about $1500 off MSRP on Dec 31st 08 for alot of their in-lot cars but none for custom ordered. So $500 is pretty darn good.

Old 01-10-2009 | 12:02 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
My wife and I have started shopping for her clubbie now (). I find $500 off is about the best I can do here in the NY area. Even looking at New England and Philly area dealers, there are no offers better than $500.
Consider yourself lucky. I canvased the NYC Metro Area 7 months ago and no one was willing to do anything below MSRP. Go for it!

Old 01-10-2009 | 12:12 PM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
MINI builds value by not bastardising their product with discounts and cash backs and incentives and subsidized interest rates.
You beg for discounts will only hurt you in the end. ie. see anyone who owns anything OTHER than a MINI.
Several good points, but I am guessing Mini resale value has been from scarcity and wait lists. Not to mention ill informed buyers. (Would you ever pay near list price for a 2 to 3 year old vehicle)? If Mini manages production to be short of demand, there will be no discounts and there will be high resale. It is all about supply and demand.

Then why buy a car made in Britain whose parent is German? Now that really helps our country (with apologies to our British and German friends).

You will not find MINI dealers dealing on a special order or instock unless they are a horrible dealership, like bad CSI and bad service etc. Those are the desperadoes and those will be filtered out and gone, because MINI does not like to see no profit here in the US.
Mini dealers are not owned by Mini. The more Minis dealers sell, ultimately the more profit Mini makes regardless of price. Edmunds says the invoice price the dealer pays Mini is only 90% of MSRP. Further, that is before the holdback and other compensation to the dealer. So discounts of up to 10% from MSRP will not hurt Mini in the least.

If that happens, they will pull the product out of the US. They cannot afford to discount because the car has already been discounted to be affordable to us cheap wads here in the US.
US cheap wads? Wow, then how did we get all those overpriced homes? Why are homes (and cars) substantially larger than they were years ago? Why do so many Mini owners put on tons of options including large low profile tires which, while looking cool , wear quicker and cost much more to replace? As a nation we have too few who are frugal.

Perhaps the Mini is more expensive elsewhere, but I do not view the Mini as a discounted product. While great fun, it is really a premium priced product. Come on, it is owned by BMW, not by Kia.

Having said all that, you do make some very good points. Companies train their customers - those that regularly have sales or discounts train customers to expect them. Personally I think that is a bad business model and I don't do business that way when selling things. The million dollar question is what will be the supply of Minis vs the demand for Minis and how will Mini react. Mini may decide strategically to keep producing at a level to gain market share even though they will oversupply the mkt and discounts will follow. More Minis sold, dealers get more service work to compensate for less profit on each sale. Everybody is happy. Maybe they will decide they want to cut production and keep the product scarce. So far they have said they want to gain market share, open more dealerships and maintain production. We will see what happens!

Old 01-10-2009 | 12:16 PM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zonedguy
Consider yourself lucky. I canvased the NYC Metro Area 7 months ago and no one was willing to do anything below MSRP. Go for it!
When you were looking, Mini's were sold out. Times were good!

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/07/...-out-of-minis/

Old 01-10-2009 | 12:16 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
I got $1000 off...

Old 01-10-2009 | 01:32 PM
NJ Clubman
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zonedguy
Agreed. I bought my Mini 7 months ago, too. I felt good about MSRP -- others were paying over MSRP.

With gasoline prices having moderated, it is fair to assume the rules may have changed.

Old 01-10-2009 | 02:06 PM
NJ Clubman
|
3rd Gear
You will not find MINI dealers dealing on a special order or instock unless they are a horrible dealership, like bad CSI and bad service etc. Those are the desperadoes and those will be filtered out and gone, because MINI does not like to see no profit here in the US. If that happens, they will pull the product out of the US. They cannot afford to discount because the car has already been discounted to be affordable to us cheap wads here in the US.
We ***** about 4$ a gallon gas, check out the gas prices in Europe and check out the cost of a MINI in England where its produced! Please people, come to reality, that WE make our economy, and lets help ourselves help our economy.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Car shopping is one of the purest forms of capitalism in existence. It is unbridled negotiation driven by supply and demand.

When gas was at $4 and there were no cars in stock, many dealers were over MSRP. Some of us paid those surcharges. We didn't like it, but we wanted the cars. That kind of demand puts us buyers in a lousy spot. I was happy to simply pay MSRP at the time.

Now, conditions are different. It is fair to expect dealers to negotiate from a perspective that properly reflects the current state of the supply/demand continuum.

I don't think a $500 discount will dramatically change resale value. The ongoing reputation of the cars as fun AND economical AND mechanically sound is what will do that.

Old 01-11-2009 | 03:40 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
So many points, so few that make any sense.

US ecconomy not going to be helped at all by purchasing and import.

Bad dealers that won't be around long? Mine has been here since the begining, and is the largest one out here, they (pretended) to gripe about how little they were making on my deal but they sold it to me in the end anyway. A dealer isn't going to sell a car that they're not happy with the profit that they're making on it, and they sure aren't going to disclose the hold backs or other incentives they're going to get 'cause they sell more cars.

By your logic, because dealers where charging $500 to $1000 + ontop of MSRP up until recently, then resale should have increased so now it'll balance back out closer to a value based on true MSRP...so no problem.

Everyone's reducing their prices on everything in an attempt to get us all to part with our money and get the econmy going, just take a walk around you local mall.

If you can get a good price--what the market will bear--at either the begining or end of your ownership, then power to you...

Funny, when dealers where ripping people off, most said to walk away, not "oh, think of how that extra $$$ you're paying ontop of MSRP is going to help with everyone's resale value"...give me a break!

Go get the best deal you can, don't let any guilt chill the nice warm glow and smile you get knowing that you didn't get ripped off. Besides, think of all the US/CDN made stuff you can buy with all of the money you didn`t spend on your European imported car...

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:03 PM
MiaMia
Neutral
Originally Posted by dvhone
So many points, so few that make any sense.

US ecconomy not going to be helped at all by purchasing and import.

Bad dealers that won't be around long? Mine has been here since the begining, and is the largest one out here, they (pretended) to gripe about how little they were making on my deal but they sold it to me in the end anyway. A dealer isn't going to sell a car that they're not happy with the profit that they're making on it, and they sure aren't going to disclose the hold backs or other incentives they're going to get 'cause they sell more cars.

By your logic, because dealers where charging $500 to $1000 + ontop of MSRP up until recently, then resale should have increased so now it'll balance back out closer to a value based on true MSRP...so no problem.

Everyone's reducing their prices on everything in an attempt to get us all to part with our money and get the econmy going, just take a walk around you local mall.

If you can get a good price--what the market will bear--at either the begining or end of your ownership, then power to you...

Funny, when dealers where ripping people off, most said to walk away, not "oh, think of how that extra $$$ you're paying ontop of MSRP is going to help with everyone's resale value"...give me a break!

Go get the best deal you can, don't let any guilt chill the nice warm glow and smile you get knowing that you didn't get ripped off. Besides, think of all the US/CDN made stuff you can buy with all of the money you didn`t spend on your European imported car...

clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I work for THE largest dealer in the midwest as a MA. So I have no idea who you are referring to, it certainly is not us, because no one in our region charges over MSRP.
No one in the region other than Cali charge OVER MSRP, and that is because they can. THey have a 6-12 MONTH wait for their MINI's. If you paid it in any other maket your an idiot. MINI does not accept the over charging or MSRP as that is not their practice and that is bascially the dealerships greed, not MINI.

MINI does NOT offer incentives, cash backs or hold backs...please do your research before you post. Show me anywhere online that shows you that. You find invoice you find costs, you find all the info you want online on ALL the car makers. SHOW me the site that shows that MINI gives anytime of hold back etc...please. As I said, no subsidised financing, which result in money back to the dealer, no rebates, which result in money back to the dealer, no hold back - NONE. Having those items would not be condusive to MINI. THUS highest resale value vehicle IN THE WORLD! You cant say that for any other car company. Sorry, you cant.

Go online and build a MINI on the UK website. www.mini.co.uk Let me know how much a MINI costs over there. MINI's have a minimal profit margin, less than 10%. You can say that for any other car manufactuer whether US or import. Most over charge on their MSRP and then offer you your minimal idiot discount making you think your getting the "deal of the century".

So please, dont post unless you know what you are talking about.
What I meant about helping the econmy is buy to spike the economy whether it is a domestic item or import. We are spending money.
Let me ask you ... are you discounting what you sell or is your company you work for discounting their product? I would be safe to say no. What mark up is on normal day to day items is disgusting, compared to MINI. Jewelry, items at your neighborhood Walgreens, prescriptions, toilet paper....do you ask for discounts there? I guess making purchases is not helpful the the economy, that is why we all got extra money during tax time so we can spend it and help the economy....yes that failed because we were in worse trouble than we were told...but that is the same concept.

Now and from here on out...MINI will remain MSRP. Those who purchase do their research and know what they are buying and why. Those who look for discounts "due to the economy" should really step back and think...."should I be buying a car in this economy"? Cause if you need a discount on a 20-25K car, you really shouldnt be making that purchase.

Thanks for your input, but perhaps you should stick to what you really know. Nothing.

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:36 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
MiaMia: Placing a title of MA does not add credence to your arguments as many are flawed. And frankly a "Motoring Assistant" is just Mini's glorified title for a car salesperson.

Mini do not have a profit margin of less than 10%. They have a mark up from invoice of 10% but no one knows what their actual profit margin is. You're using a dealer's profit margin(if sold at MSRP) as the company's profit margin- WRONG! No one knows for sure what the profit margin per Mini is for BMW; as a matter of fact, this figure is kept tightly concealed. However, a quick glance at 2008's third quarter sales report, one could easily spot that per vehicle net profit is pretty high. Yes, we're talking about net, not gross. Invoice of 18k for a base Clubman would suggest a 16.2k production cost according to your 10% markup-which is a really high number for an auto maker(even one with a specialized plant like Mini).

And since we seem to want to quip at things that don't add to the construction of the argument; I hope the way you speak to customers is a whole lot better than the sentence structure you use when typing on this forum-cause frankly your sentences don't make much sense(much like your arguments). Hey, at least you're consistent.

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:37 PM
Azfast1
Neutral
Mini North Scottsdale currently has an ad for $2,000 off MSRP on a left over 08 new S and a Clubman. I just bought an 09 from them and a new 08 6 months ago. Great people.

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:38 PM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
MiaMia, car dealers typically sell off low margins and make significantly more money in the service dept than in sales. Yes, many items are sold at higher margins than cars - but they also cost $3-$10-$50-$100 and not $25,000. Many high dollar items sell at very low margins. I know of $1000 items which sell routinely at 3-5% margins.

If you don't know, BMW makes much more than 10% gross profit margins on Minis. I don't have access to their financials, but Mercedes in 2007 had 24% gross margins, and 8% operating margins.

You are right that BMW and Mini do not have holdbacks, which typically are 1-3% of MSRP. http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incent...ack/index.html (scroll to see list by car brands)

There is still plenty of room for discounts. Screaming about it will not change anything, and a sale at a reduced profit is better for a dealership than no sales. Frankly, there are many car dealerships (other than Mini) who would be happy at this point to sell down their inventory at no profit just to get rid of the cars and get out from under their floor plan debt.

I work for THE largest dealer in the midwest as a MA....
Be glad you are still working for a dealer. I am guessing the MA I was talking to about a Mini no longer does as I have not heard from him since October and he was pretty good at following up and knew what I was looking for.

Old 01-11-2009 | 05:03 PM
MiaMia
Neutral
So what makes you an expert? MA's or salespeople, either way makes the normal car buyer crap their pants.
Can you tell me what company out there is in business to not make a profit.
My sentences are clearly put together better than your lack of documentation of profit for MINi.
MINI is a business and will make a profit on every car sold. The dealer will decide what profit they will make regardless. The profit the dealer makes IS less than 10%. Sorry to burst your ignorant bubble. They have the right to make a profit and stay in business. Ones that decide to bastard-ize their product are begging for governent assistance, due to loss of profit all around. Not to mention horrible products that consumer continue to buy and wonder why they owe more than the car is worth after months of purchase.
I speak to my clients with the reapect they deserve this making me the top in sales in the region. So I guess my bullish sales strategy you think us
"salespeople" use worked on many. MINI sells itself, I don't have to talk
anyone into purchasing the product. And yes there is a profit and I make a
living. Everyone wins..... No one puts a gun to your head to buy a car. If
you don't feel you got a good deal on product you feel strongly for then
shame on you

MINI will continue to sell at MSRP whether you ***** about it or not. So please get over it.

Last edited by gnatster; 01-13-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-11-2009 | 05:20 PM
RedWhite
Neutral
MiaMia is a salesman.
Now THERE'S a shocking bit of information!

Quick Reply: R55 Is $500 off MSRP typical right now?