R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 To Vermont with my Clubman or not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Vermont with my Clubman or not???

So debating on what car to take on our winter vacation to Vermont (NY to VT). I've always had a gigantic SUV that's toughed it out in all weather there so now a little apprehensive taking the Clubman. It did just get winter tires but still is no Honda Element in the snow!

It's between our Clubby or the old, old Volvo. The Volvo is a tank though and has studded tires, just not super reliable since its a 97! So the chances of it having some sort of problem is semi-likely.

Checking to see what my fellow MINI owners would do. Plus hoping some Vermonter's will chime in on driving conditions in Southern VT with their Clubman or MINI (Okemo, Stratton, etc).

Thanks~Lauren!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO IT!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Well there Missy, you did fine getting from the fire station to the Pirate Toy Fund. VT's just a little further. I say go for it!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Hey Kim! Love your siggy...how cute! Did you design that yourself

I know, I know...just so worried about taking the Clubby to VT. Not sure if it could handle the windy, uphill roads in a storm??

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been there before, so you know the area. You live in Rochester, so you know how to drive in snow. A little common sense, easy on the gas.......
If you don't, you'll wish you had.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
laurendesigns,

Was just up there this past week end when they were pridicted to get 1"-2" of snow. Well Sugarbush Ski area got 6". We stayed at the Hollow Inn in Barre as with our dog it was about the only place that still had a room. Traveled Sunday morning during the snow on some unplowed roads with better than 5" of snow on them and it did better than any ohter car i have owned except my Nissan Pathfinder. In fact the sugarbush access road had about 3" of snow on it when i drove up it, and the DCS only kicked in a couple of times. These a=cars do actually go very well in the snow.

Don't fret and just go for it. As long as you know how to drive in the white stuff you will have no problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy an extreme Land Rover with a winch and put 4 Blizzaks on it, hook up a team of Huskies, hire Sherpas and a certified guide... maybe get one of these instead:

If I re-word your sentence, you're saying a Clubman (with all the modern traction control and safety equipment) on new snow tires may not be a match for an aging Volvo on outdated studded tires? Doesn't make much sense to me. I'd definitely take the Clubman - and I've driven Clubmen on snows, they're just fine.

Other considerations, however:
- If the Clubbie is a show car and/or the Volvo is impeccably well maintained, why get the Clubbie all dirty, salty and gross?
- If the Volvo is one of the AWD ones on snows, it may work better than a comparably equipped Clubman. Front drive cars, even as good as the Minis are, don't climb like RWD or AWD cars (equally equipped).
- If you take the Volvo, do NOT put an "actual size" sticker on back. Folks won't get it.

Of course, if you can afford the Arctic Rover with expeditionary preparation, take that!

(note: Do take some basic winter survival "stuff" with you: sleeping bag, water and a cup, food - just in case you're in conditions where, no matter the vehicle, you're stuck).

Last edited by DixonL2; 01-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I have no problems with driving my Clubman through snow around here with my stock 15" all-seasons. And they do occasionally plow in Vermont.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Otra
6th Gear
So there you go - no time to waste! Absolutely take the most reliable of your two cars - that Clubman w/snow tires. Unless those sherpas are available.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Rent something you and your Gear will be comfortable and confident in. Save the wear and possible tear on both the aging Volvo and the MINI. And as a bonus when your through with the trip someone else cleans it.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Rent something
There's also a hidden benefit with that - if there's something wrong with your car, you have roadside assistance and they bring you a whole replacement car! Not bad thinking... but it won't be a Mini.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Thanks for the advice and good laugh guys and gals! Think its just me being the nervous nelly I am...well, basketcase . I just don't "feel" as safe and secure in it as my previous SUV's.

And today I had quite a day. Took a *major* spill snowboarding (close to breaking my arm) then dropped a chair on my toe so its all bloody and bruised. Thinking its maybe a sign to not go all together!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Hey, you be careful out there! Watch those trips whizzing down the slopes (if you still can). Hope you feel better soon, and though I understand your nervousness, you gotta try out that Clubbie in tough stuff one of these days. (Granted, this is from someone who was mighty glad to be in a Subaru driving home in a lake-effect snowstorm last night).

As for the signature, I can't take credit. It was COOPERation from here and everywhere that did this wonderful little siggy!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
I was in the same predicament over Thanksgiving break. I had to choose between driving the 2000 4WD Xterra or the brand new MINI to Telluride, CO. Even though I thought we would run into some snow, I still took the MINI. What great memories I created!! Granted, we did not have snow tires and at times I had to drive 20 mph, I do not regret taking the MINI at all!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Honda Element. Now that's funny!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
notalada
1st Gear
Doing some skiing, eh? (okemo, stratton) is the gear on a roof rack? or even better in an enclosed roof carrier? if so, you may have enough room in the clubbie.
I just took teenage son and his friend on a day trip from Ithaca to gore mountain and back in our clubbie. (LONNNNNG day trip) Skis were on a thule rack, poles on a suction cup window mount. my boots below the rear deck floor. and the rest of our bags on top in the rear. to find the room for non ski clothing/ toiletries etc. and 3 in the car- that would be mighty tough. could be doable with a roof clamshell. only 2 in the car? easy.

Winter tires? I would have no worries about the MINI in the snow even on those high passes to okemo/rutland area from NY thruway/hoosic falls . we do just great on rt 8 from utica to gore.
If you do have a bare ski clamp on the roof, consider a zipping your gear in a cheap ski bag and clamping that in to protect from the salt. we really get hammered by other vehicle spray , being so low to the ground.

choose your clubbie ride in style.
I find the sport seats and driving position are great for long drives (6'1"). even the return trip when we were all hammered from the hard pack conditions was OK.

lars

Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
I was comfortable with my wife and four year old on our four day trip. Even had the skis (160s) inside the MCS (no roof rack). The car was crammed, but it all worked out.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Hey, if you're near Pittsburgh on February 22nd 2009, we're having a Mini Winter Driving class at BeaveRun: some low-key formal instruction and a good amount of time to practice, both with a pro instructor in your car as well as on your own!

Last year we had some folks who ride on all-season tires drive member's Minis on the snow tires to see/feel the difference, it's really astounding. On a wintry "autocross" course, the best times on all-seasons were between 55 seconds and a minute; on snows they were in the low 40 second range.

A couple of images from last year (I've posted these before, please pardon any duplication):

Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
GrnMtnMini
1st Gear
Living in southwestern Vermont and owning an 09 Clubman I'd say the Clubman is a go!
We run studded snows and have no issues driving in snow
I even took it to Quebec last month in a snow storm; no issues

Think Snow!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Welllllll, guess my issue is solved. She was all set to go tomorrow and just like that she wouldn't start...or shall I say get out of "safe mode". Did it yesterday, let her warm up, worked ok. Tried today and with more then enough warming she wouldn't go out of safe mode with all engine lights on.

There is an issue with a particular valve freezing that MINI is aware of. I can't explain the particulars as I'm not good with car lingo.

Waving bye-bye to Miss MINI as she's being towed

Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lauren, that SUCKS.

I'm sorry, chica.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear that your Mini is not feeling well. Are they going to give yo a loaner? If so use there car and not your Volvo

Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Yes, please keep us posted on the diagnosis and prognosis, as well. I'm very sorry to read about your mishap.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Towne was very helpful with this matter and I do have a loaner...a Dodge Charger which is a mammoth of a car! Feel like I'm in a boat but nice in that we packed it full of snowboarding gear with room to spare Would have been a little tight in the Clubbie.

Haven't heard from them since they towed it yesterday and think they are looking at it Monday. I'll keep everyone posted on the diagnosis!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:00 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
It would have been tight with the Clubbie, but I think you could have pulled it off...maybe next time.

Quick Reply: R55 To Vermont with my Clubman or not???