R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Wiring Harness Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009 | 08:20 PM
JGS
|
3rd Gear
Wiring Harness Problems

I have installed the Minidomore trailer hitch on my Clubman and tested it today with my friends boat....worked great!

My issue is with the lighting harness package supplied by Minidomore. I am not getting any power to the running lights on the trailer. Instead, the modulator supplied feeds power to the brake and turn light bulb in the trailer. While this works and I get turning and brakes and running; I do not power any secondary lights on the trailer....these come off the curcuit for the true running light bulb.

I believe that this may be a compromise that Minidomore came up with since the Mini lights work diffferntly than most US cars. We flash amber for turns and use a separate bulb for running and brakes.

Anyone have experience with this???? I need the secondary fuction in the trailer lighting for sideload bulbs and amber bulbs in the fenders.

Would appreciate any comments or solutions

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:06 PM
TsPoet
2nd Gear
Did you contact Minidomore?
I've got a hitch and harness on order. They told me I could buy a harness locally, the only special thing about their's is that the wires were cut the right length.
When I get mine installed, I'll let you know if it works.

Old 01-18-2009 | 04:45 AM
JGS
|
3rd Gear
Of Course....

Yes;

Waiting for response...let you know what I hear.

Old 01-18-2009 | 11:51 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
I believe that this may be a compromise that Minidomore came up with since the Mini lights work diffferntly than most US cars. We flash amber for turns and use a separate bulb for running and brakes.
Except for cars with factory LED tail lights, most cars (including MINI) are electrically the same. Running, brake, and turn signals are on separate circuits. It's just that some cars use dual filament bulbs (e.g. 1157 or 3157) that combine two lights in the same physical bulb -- but electrically they are same as two separate bulbs. For example MINI uses an 1157 bulb for running/brake. The bulb has separate brake and running signals that are independent of each other and connected to separate filaments. This is equivalent to two separate bulbs, just combined into a single package. Some other cars may use a dual filament bulb to combine different functions such as turn/running, but electrically these configurations are all the same; each function operates as if on a separate bulb. I think you probably have a simple connection problem of an input and output in the circuit not matching up correctly.