R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 February Clubman photo assignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 06:33 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Hey gang! Do sunsets count as 'weather'? :p Pelle took us to Monterey last weekend:

more at http://picasaweb.google.com/alphawave7
Quoting these AGAIN.. because they are SO beautiful.

Ugh.. I am so jealous~!

Old 02-28-2009 | 09:18 AM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Alpha, actually I believe one of the best shots of the lot was not even posted here. It's the very last shot in your set. The one with the sunset reflected on your window. I absolutely love it = )

Old 02-28-2009 | 01:45 PM
Alphawave
THANKS EVERYONE! Truly!

Bit of backstory for those interested:
It was my first hour with my birthday present: Canon Powershot SD890 (I killed another Powershot SD800 getting a tad too close to waves at the beach-the camera, Pelle's fob, and I were drenched-only the fob and I survived!). Wife and I arrived at this spot about an hour earlier, and it was almost deserted, so I did my usual billy-goating around the rocks (I love to 'free hand' climb along the shores/coast and have exceptional balance). After familiarizing myself with the 890, it IS a tad different than the 800, I got a few low level shots of the oncoming tide, some waterlife, some rocks, and then felt too much spray hitting me. Deciding not to kill another, BRAND NEW, camera, I retreated back to the cliff where Pelle was developing a glow (those of us with Sparkling Silver know), and he started hamming it up. Lighting was perfect for a good shot to show Otra the scuttle I swapped (I promised her a pic and never delivered!). Before I knew it, hoards of people had shown up to see the sunset, and the whole thing transpired in a matter of minutes...it was a challenge to avoid all the people that kept walking by, commenting on my activity..I mean, we have ONLY MINUTES peeps! The result is nothing more than brief inspiration, trying to maximize the light and moment. I discovered I don't have the 'Sunset' mode my wife has on her Powershot 1100, so I did enable 'color accent' (not 'swap'), but otherwise the shots are all on automatic, no flash...sunsets are often tough to get on a point-and-shoot, so I was stoked when I saw the results off-camera. :D

Otra- It still isn't the best looking scuttle on the planet, but can you imagine that shot with the default black plastic one!?! Ick. I decided to keep the amber lens, as it matched the reflectors/turn indicators..I started to think the clear lens would actually clash. I'm happy with it now.

Parkerton- That's the beauty of the lens, you/it finds things when you start looking at the surroundings 'through the lens'...I know why folks get silly with their habit..err hobby. :D Still, Pelle is unlike me, he's extroverted, and somewhat of a *****...he'd do double/triple dates no problem! :p The folks that watched me at this sunset knew what I was feeling though, I could see it in their eyes. They returned to their SUV's and sedans, while the wife and me went motoring with Pelle...when you love your ride, every roadtrip is like a date.

edit: hmmm..after more fiddling, it looks like color accent/swap only work in manual mode, and I know for a fact this was in Auto, so these colors are 'accurate'..they do look slightly warmer than I remember them, probably a lighting issue. I'm not proficient enough to play in manual mode on this thing yet, nor did I on the SD800 either..auto mode usually suffices for lazies like me.

Last edited by Alphawave; 02-28-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2009 | 03:57 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Wow! Parkerton is correct that the last shot is fantastic...but they all are and I am jealous, too!

"Lighting was perfect for a good shot to show Otra the scuttle I swapped (I promised her a pic and never delivered!)....
Otra- It still isn't the best looking scuttle on the planet, but can you imagine that shot with the default black plastic one!?! Ick. I decided to keep the amber lens, as it matched the reflectors/turn indicators..I started to think the clear lens would actually clash. I'm happy with it now." You're right, they do look much better and I, too, think the amber lens looks really good with the color combination. Perhaps when I receive some economic stimulus I'll hunt down some of those nice scuttles.

Seriously stunning sunset over the SS/S Clubman shots, there Alpha!