R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Question about upgrading to JCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:04 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
Question about upgrading to JCW

So I ordered my Mini (see signature) but I now like the JCW with the same specs as my signature. Does anyone know what problems I could run into with the dealer if I want to change my mind? Also, would the deposit for the first car go to the new order?

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:07 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Talk to your MA. Dealers appear to have different policies when it comes to change orders and handling of deposits. My dealer has a no questions asked full 100% deposit refund policy even if the car is sitting in the showroom and you change your mind.

In regards to the JCW.... Remember that you have the dealer installed JCW Stage 1 kit and the JCW factory car. Which way do you want to go?

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:08 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I see your car was already built. Slippery slope I might add.

Talk to the dealer. You are simply walking away from this car and re-ordering. Remember that the dealer will now have to try to sell a custom ordered car in their lot.

Talk to them and see if they agree to cancel the order all together and start all over again from square 1.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:12 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
I'm still on the fence, I figure either way it's a great car. Maybe if it comes to the dealer and has a problem where something was wrong or forgotten I could do it no problem. I'll have to think about it. If anyone has stories where they changed their mind I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:14 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Is the ordered car a regular Cooper Clubman or an S?

If it is a Clubman S, may I suggest simply adding the dealer installed JCW Stage 1 kit? In my book, this is a much better deal than the JCW Clubman factory car and in some ways, more unique too.

Being in your shoes, that's what I would do. You won't have to reject the car and all you have to do is to order the kit from your MA and get it installed.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:46 AM
sequence
6th Gear
is the tune kit available for manual Clubby S's? (exhaust)

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:01 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
It's a non-s

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:17 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Six to eight months ago you would have had no problem as the cars were flying off the lots faster than they could come in. Now Unfortunately there is an abundance of them so you may find it hard, especially as it is a "Justa" with a hole bunch of expensive extras.

Just curious dId you win the lottery, there is a big big difference in cost.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:33 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniguy5
It's a non-s
Oh boy! I don't know what to tell you. I guess you should have evaluated your purchase a little better before settling for the final order.

I am the type of guy that is happy with a car with as few options as possible but care more about the engine and suspension. Some folks like loaded Justas and that is fine too. I am on the camp that prefer lightly optioned Cooper S models. To me the options, sooner or later, you'll tire of them and then you begin craving for a little better performance, etc.

I think you need to sit down and have a chat with the dealer. Basically, you having regrets about this order. That is fine and preferable to have the "chills" now rather than after the fact when the papers have been signed and the monies exchanged.

I think you need to think about long and hard as to what exactly you want out of this purchase. Do you want a loaded MINI with modest performance, or are you willing to give up some options in exchange for better performance?

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:34 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
is the tune kit available for manual Clubby S's? (exhaust)
I think it is, including the automatics.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:37 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I think it is, including the automatics.
In the last issue of MotoringFile, it was reported the JCW stage 1 kit for the Clubman S will be released this spring.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:43 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
I think I'll stick with what I have.... Actually yes schatzy62, I did come into some money. I listen to my in laws speak of there souped up cars. Looking at it logically the regular mini is fine, I drive a mile to work so a JCW would just be a toy for me and really wouldn't add much because of my minimal daily driving. Come to think of it, that's why I got the standard Mini. Thanks guy for knocking my brain back into order.

After genuflecting to my needs I have to go with my original order, I've NEVER had a car with all the extras I wanted (until now) and a higher performance engine wouldn't serve me much for my minimal driving.

I knew there was a reason why this forum was so good.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:45 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
Also throw in the fact I have to buy one for the wife this summer..... Seeing all the great cars on this board can really bring your mind off track.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:51 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Well, so if you have to buy another one for the wife, you can drive this one for a few months and pass it onto her. Then the next one you can order to your liking.

Glad we could help!

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:18 AM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
I thought of that she won't drive stick

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:20 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Good learning opportunity for her.

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:29 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
In the last issue of MotoringFile, it was reported the JCW stage 1 kit for the Clubman S will be released this spring.
yup, had to be the exhaust mount redesign, as opposed to the hardtops.

ClubmanS you oughta consider one for yr clubby, turn that mild into wild!

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:41 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
yup, had to be the exhaust mount redesign, as opposed to the hardtops.

ClubmanS you oughta consider one for yr clubby, turn that mild into wild!

Yeah I am very tempted since MINI has finally released the JCW kit for us auto S owners And since I am planning to keep the car for a very long time, the $2K cost for the kit can be better justified.

Are you getting it yourself?

Old 02-10-2009 | 12:02 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Does anyone know if the $2K range is all inclusive?

Old 02-14-2009 | 12:31 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
JCW Stage 1 kit for the Clubman is available (soon)? Can anyone post a link where I can find more info?

Old 02-22-2009 | 03:24 PM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Stage 1 kit will not be the same as buying a JCW. The internals, clutch and turbo will be different than an upgrade and the kit remap limits the HP to 189 HP not the 208 as stock JCW comes with. Also the stock JCW has the brembo kit....figure you save around 2-400 by purchasing a loaded S and adding all the aftermarket kits but you still don't have the extra 20HP the stock JCW comes with and you've pretty much spent the same amount of money plus labor charges and tax...

I was toying with this same question thus why I haven't purcahsed yet, I'm getting the JCW so I don't have to take it back time after time to upgrade a S with JCW parts and worry about if something is going to cause a problem.

The auto will never match up even with the kits, the tranny just won't handle it over time, either by design or by the romping on it. I know Mazda's solution to an added turbo on the stock 2.3 was to send the valve kit out to a company to strengthen the valvebody to allow for the extra power. Albeit this is not an additional 120hp the mazda kit was this upgrade will add stress to the stock system even with only 15-ish HP.

Upgrading also comes with a little more maintenance...plugs recommended to be swapped at shorter intervals...read into what goes into the stock JCW and the upgrades associated with the add-ons you might find yourself making a different decision.

If you absolutely want to go this route, make sure you have it covered under a warranty as well, not just the workmanship, but the parts too.

Old 02-22-2009 | 04:11 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
To me the options, sooner or later, you'll tire of them and then you begin craving for a little better performance, etc.
You'll never get tired of the butt heater .

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:41 PM
miniguy5
|
4th Gear
I don't need the performance, I only drive less than 5,000 miles a year. I don't need much performance driving one mile to work w/ no stoplights

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Yeah I am very tempted since MINI has finally released the JCW kit for us auto S owners And since I am planning to keep the car for a very long time, the $2K cost for the kit can be better justified. Are you getting it yourself?
See sig. it's a hoot!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by digi0123
The auto will never match up even with the kits, the tranny just won't handle it over time, either by design or by the romping on it.
Hah say what?? I have a 09 MCSa JCW, and I am not sure what U mean by this--certainly it can handle 189 hp day in/day out, the Aisin is not that much of a lightweight by any means. Unless of course you work for Aisin Intl.--and you know the tranny's limitations--or U have some sort of magic crystal ball that sees into the future, yr statement holds little credence.

Quick Reply: R55 Question about upgrading to JCW