R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Best non-runflat tire? Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009 | 01:29 PM
Barchinski
|
2nd Gear
Best non-runflat tire? Opinions...

I know there are many threads on this forum about replacing the stock run flats due to a rough drive, but I want some straight up answer on the best tires people have found, that fit the clubman and are very quiet, yet soft at the same time.....Please Help!!!!

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009 | 01:35 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
I'm planning on going with Yokahama S Drives in a 215/45-17's as soon as the stock Continential All Season R/F's wear out. I'm hoping for a quieter ride as well.

Old 02-13-2009 | 02:52 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
I just ordered (literally minutes ago) a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX tires 205/50/16 for my 06 MC. Found them for $62 a piece online. I keep reading good things about them here on the forum, so they are the tires I decided to get.

Old 02-14-2009 | 05:43 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
FastLane,

Where did you find this good price, linky please...

Old 02-14-2009 | 05:54 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
FastLane,

Where did you find this good price, linky please...
I found the link on Bizrate or Pricegrabber....or one of those. The online store is called

www.tires-easy.com

I read alot of mixed reviews and then had found that there were some people here on the forum who had purchased tires from there and had a good experience, so I jumped on it. Tirerack.com is a great company and I have ordered from them at least three or four times, but at almost $20 more per tire difference, I decided to risk using another store this time. I will let you know how it goes once the tires get here.

Old 02-14-2009 | 05:59 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Wow! Thanks, FL, for the speedy reply! I now have another "Favorite" added to my MiniCooper folder!!

Old 02-14-2009 | 12:23 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I'm going to go this direction as well as soon as my run flats are ready to go. What are you guys going to do as a spare? I hear some are going to buy a spare for their car and others are going to use gel and an electric inflation tool that plugs into 12v. Thoughts?

Old 02-14-2009 | 07:36 PM
catseye
3rd Gear
I am on my 2nd set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-01's, and I really like them a lot. I can hang pretty well with the cars running R compounds on track, and they have nice manners on the street. I drive them pretty hard, and get around 15k miles from a set, which is about as good as I ever do with any tire. The people I take on track with me will usually remark on how much grip I get. If you do any track events, I'd give these a good look.

Old 02-14-2009 | 08:04 PM
T2Nav
3rd Gear
A month ago, when I asked the Mini dealership to check on a squeak I thought was bad bearings, I was told my run-flats (27000 miles!) were worn out due to bad alignment and making the squeaky noise I heard. Mini said they could replace the run-flats and do an alignment for $1800.

So I went to my local tire place and got Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid, (non run-flat) installed and aligned for $627. More than enought left over for some green goo or maybe a tow. Looking at tire web sites, the Grids appear to be well-liked and long-lasting.

Leaving the tire place I was immediately struck by the difference in ride. It seemed almost as if I were now in a hovercraft just silenty zipping along, hardly in contact with the road. This was because my car was quiet for the first time, and I was not feeling the suspension get whacked by every pebble, dust-grain, and ant I ran over. The tires of stone are gone!

The G019s have performed well during regular to slightly spirited driving, and across both paved and slightly snowy roads.

Old 02-15-2009 | 06:08 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
I'm going to go this direction as well as soon as my run flats are ready to go. What are you guys going to do as a spare? I hear some are going to buy a spare for their car and others are going to use gel and an electric inflation tool that plugs into 12v. Thoughts?

BUMP!

What do those who dump run flats do for a spare? Buy a spare? Some sort of gel? rely on AAA? Prayer?

Also, if you go with a spare, what direction are you going? Buy from MINI?

Old 02-15-2009 | 08:45 AM
old81
M6
AAA, tire kit. Luck!

I've been lucky with my non-runflats, but I do carry a AAA+ card.

I am about to switch out to a new set of tires, F1 GS-D3 (16s) and then get another UHP summer set for the 17s.

I'm looking at Cooper tires and Yokohama, lots of choices and it all is driven by budget.

Old 02-15-2009 | 09:01 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I switched out off runflats last summer to Kumho Ecsta ASX tires 205/45/17 these are mounted on Sportmax 962 wheels, You can see then on there web site buy wheels today.com. They are good when the weather is warm, not a bad ride, but when it drops below 50 forget it. I have a set of Avon AS M 550 205 /55 /16 on the factory wheels that I use for that inbetween time of the year. The Avons are very quite and the ride is good, i would not do any track with them , but for everyday driving they are fine. For the Winter, I have General Artics on the car mounted on Sport 7 Wheels, these tires so far have been very good in the snow, I did hit a crator 2 weeks ago that did 3 grand in damage to the car and blew the tire right off the rim, at 3 Am in Newark, I called a flatbed. I carry Slime and a pump and plugs, nothing was getting me home that morning besides a tow. All in all I still prefer these tires to the runflats, but everyones situation is different.

Old 02-18-2009 | 12:54 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
I've got the Yokohama S-Drives and love them. The grip is incredible, and they perform very well in wet weather as well. Highly recommended.

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:33 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
I am partial to the Bridgestone G-019's. I plan to get some when my RFTs wear out.
I had a Subaru on which I ran the previous generation G-009's that, with routine rotation and 'average' driving habits, had 75K miles and still good tread when I sold the car. The ride from them was very good.
I also put a set of them on the wife's 325I. Her original tires were Continental ContiSportContact (Summer Performance) and were worn out at 25K. (she is a conservative driver) The difference was remarkable. As noted by T2Nav, it was like riding on air compared to the Conti's.

As to the lack of a spare, go with some gel and an inexpensive compressor. Also, AAA is relatively cheap for the service they provide.

Old 02-19-2009 | 06:58 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
Question....Did you keep the rims with the low pressure sensors? If not, what happens when you run a new set of rims without sensors. Does it just trigger the warning display, or would it somehow interface with the computer and slow the car down? Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2009 | 10:36 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Unless you can disable the software for the TPMS, (the dealer may be able, but likely won't) you will want to keep the sensors.
The only problem with not running with sensors is that the warning light will come on. It shouldn't (in my experience with having a nail in the tread) affect the car's speed. The warning light will display in the tachometer display (and on nav head, if so equipped). It is resettable, but will redisplay within 30 seconds of being reset. That is quite a nuisance when, as I do, one uses that display for the speedometer.
If you want new rims, TireRack and any good dealer will be able to set you up with the whole kit. If you want to keep the old rims, go to a good dealer. Most cheapo places and local garages might damage the sensors.
An additional note: If you have RFTs, then, depending on the build date, you may not have a jack, or lug wrench, etc. If that is so, check out http://www.parts.com//oemcatalog/ind...layCatalogid=0.
Or, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=71&fg=05. They both should have the parts you'll need.

Last edited by djmcgill; 02-19-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2009 | 10:30 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
we have the Yokohama S Drives I have been very happy with the tires and they are pretty inexpensive.

Old 02-20-2009 | 11:36 AM
Barchinski
|
2nd Gear
I think I'm leaning towards a tire that can be enjoyable in the hotter days but also get me through that snow if need be...and also sound like nothing and be comfortable....You see I'm waiting on my new JCW Clubbie to come in and I have the strut brace and sport suspension going in so I would like to make the ride somewhat smoother...any suggestions....

Old 02-20-2009 | 11:48 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
If you really want the ride to be smooth and comfortable, don't use 17" or 18" wheels with low-profile tires. 16" wheels with 55 aspect ratio tires will give you the best ride and comfort. They can also withstand the abuse meted out by potholes and such much better than low profile tires..

Old 02-20-2009 | 03:43 PM
Arns
2nd Gear
Toyo Proxes 4's for a year round sporty and very quiet tire. If you want sport tires then the T1R's. I have the Yokohom S's on my Miata Speed.

Old 02-21-2009 | 07:00 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. If, as you say, the warning comes up on my digital display (tach display), I may have to spring for new sensors for my second set of wheels. I too use that display for speed and some other data that I would not want to loose. Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2009 | 03:36 PM
MiniBoz
2nd Gear
Spare!

Originally Posted by mongorama
BUMP!

What do those who dump run flats do for a spare? Buy a spare? Some sort of gel? rely on AAA? Prayer?

Also, if you go with a spare, what direction are you going? Buy from MINI?
I was thinking along these lines for when my run-flats wear out. So, 5000 miles and went to do a tire rotation today. What is that in the boot? A spare tire?!?!?!? Yep. Answers that question. I swear that my MA told me that I wouldn't have one.

Old 02-23-2009 | 01:48 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBoz
I was thinking along these lines for when my run-flats wear out. So, 5000 miles and went to do a tire rotation today. What is that in the boot? A spare tire?!?!?!? Yep. Answers that question. I swear that my MA told me that I wouldn't have one.
When the GHOST was built, the non-S clubman comes with a compact spare. The S model doesn't because RFTs are standard on it and the front brake rotors are too large of a diameter for the spare to fit.

Old 02-23-2009 | 11:21 AM
Barchinski
|
2nd Gear
So its getting close and my new JCW Clubbie is days away from being delivered and in my hands. I still can't decide on which tires to order and need more help. On my past car, Audi a4 quattro I had both proxy 4's and Michelin tires.....what does everyone thing about Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S....like i stated before I'm searching for something that I can get away with all year long...hot , cold, rainy, and snowy weather...I live outside Philly and the snow fall we get isnt much but can cause issues driving and I dont want to have to deal with that....any help would be appreciated....

Old 02-23-2009 | 10:00 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
The Michelin tires are very good. If your were happy with them in the past..........
Checkout the tire rating graphs on TireRack.com. They should either help with your decision or completely confuse you.

Quick Reply: R55 Best non-runflat tire? Opinions...