R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clear bra question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009 | 02:46 PM
Kimbo80
|
4th Gear
Clear bra question?

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know if a clear bra designed for a 2009 Cooper fit a 2009 Clubman? Are the dimensions of the hood and bumper the same for both cars?

Old 02-14-2009 | 07:05 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I've heard mention that the clear bra doesn't work on cars with bonnet stripes. Can anyone confirm that? The clubman is supposed to be identical to the cooper from the B pillar forward so I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

Old 02-14-2009 | 08:04 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I have stripes and it works just fine. There are more pieces to cut around the stripes. Having said that, the Clubman is supposed to be identical to the the Cooper from the front seat forward.

Old 02-14-2009 | 09:42 PM
Kimbo80
|
4th Gear
Although I have only had my car for a week, this site has already been very helpful. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 02-14-2009 | 09:52 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
The bras are identical because the hood and bumper are the same in both. The only difference, of course, is the difference between justa and S. Also, I was shocked when I walked into the showroom and my stripes weren't applied. They said I didn't order them when I did.....but I asked if I can put them on after the bra was installed and they told me that wasn't recommended. They said the stripes should have been installed and then the bra. I have told that story to other installers and MINI owners and that said that wasn't true. They said it may be better because the stripes may not have the same color after being in the sun for a while.

Old 03-02-2009 | 11:28 AM
humph
Neutral
I have had the front end of my Clubman S wrapped with a Ventureshield clear car bra. I've had the bonnet (hood), front bumper, scoop, grille surround, wing mirrors, strip of roof above front screen, and the top of the rear bumper in the load area. Working great at the moment, very pleased.

Old 03-02-2009 | 01:39 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have the Llumar clearbra kit installed in my '08 Clubman S. It has held up decently for 1 year but the film scratches easily if you don't wet the area with tons of water before removing any dirt or grit. Using a top quality microfiber towel and Meguiar's quick detailer also proved to be fatal to this film material.

My installer turned his back on me when I showed him the scratched film sections. "Not my problem" he replied and neither Llumar wanted to honor their bogus "Lifetime" warranty.

Needless to say, I jettisoned my installer right away (After I gave him and send them ton$ of business) and next time I will be going with someone that stands behind his work and product by recommendation of others in the local MINI community.

Llumar makes excellent window tinting film (That I also have in the car). But stay away from their scratch prone cleabra material. clearly, their product is not up to standard yet. Stick to 3M.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 03-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2009 | 01:43 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by humph
I have had the front end of my Clubman S wrapped with a Ventureshield clear car bra. I've had the bonnet (hood), front bumper, scoop, grille surround, wing mirrors, strip of roof above front screen, and the top of the rear bumper in the load area. Working great at the moment, very pleased.
I have Ventureshield installed in my '05 MCS but after 4 years looks like crap. When new you could not tell whether the film was there or not. Now all you see is cloudy/dull film material. Granted, the film has protected the front end and headlights of the car very well. But the film looks like its been through Iraq

I am waiting for it to get worse. And when it bothers me enough, I will call the other installer and see if they honor their "Lifetime warranty".

Old 03-02-2009 | 01:47 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Word to the wise while on the subject.... Make sure that your installer also provides a guarantee on the work and materials used, aside from the clearbra film manufacturer warranty. There are installers that do not stand behind the work/product they sell and immediately refer any claims straight to the manufacturer (aka as "passing the buck"). Some manufacturers make bogus claims to lifetime warranties. In my experience, they fail to honor them most often than not.

Do your homework before letting anyone get near your car. Check with others to gauge satisfaction (or lack of thereof) when problems arise.

Old 03-02-2009 | 01:59 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
hey clubman where did you get the work done? i wouldnt want to repeat what you have been through.

Old 03-02-2009 | 02:08 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
hey clubman where did you get the work done? i wouldnt want to repeat what you have been through.
It is a local installer based in Broward County (Ft Lauderdale) area. He did the tints for both of my MINIs (Never had a problem with those) but my dissatisfaction with the way he handled my clearbra claim prompt me to immediately stop doing business with him.

From the point of view of a window tinting/clear bra installer, the guy is pretty sharp and has top notch skill/equipment. Unfortunately, he thinks that customer service ends when you hand him your hard earned money

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:49 AM
humph
Neutral
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I have Ventureshield installed in my '05 MCS but after 4 years looks like crap. When new you could not tell whether the film was there or not. Now all you see is cloudy/dull film material. Granted, the film has protected the front end and headlights of the car very well. But the film looks like its been through Iraq

I am waiting for it to get worse. And when it bothers me enough, I will call the other installer and see if they honor their "Lifetime warranty".
Interetsing. Will keep an eye on mine. So far so good. Was recommended to me by a friend who's running two GPs with it fitted. He has no issues after two years, but we'll see. We don't get the sunshine you guys get . I did find a video and details of how to restore dulled Ventureshield film, but have no idea where.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:52 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by humph
Interetsing. Will keep an eye on mine. So far so good. Was recommended to me by a friend who's running two GPs with it fitted. He has no issues after two years, but we'll see. We don't get the sunshine you guys get . I did find a video and details of how to restore dulled Ventureshield film, but have no idea where.
If you find it let me have the link. But I do plan to enforce their lifetime warranty at some point.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:41 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I had 3M on my previous car for 2.5 years and no discoloration. When I got it, they said to wax it when I washed it and it wouldn't turn yellow. I followed their instructions and it was true, no change in appearance from the day I got it except for the rock nicks that it kept off my paint.

Old 03-04-2009 | 04:59 AM
humph
Neutral
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
If you find it let me have the link. But I do plan to enforce their lifetime warranty at some point.
Can't find the video, may have imagined it. But I did find this.

http://www.ventureshield.com/newpdf/...ewsletter2.pdf

Not a DIY job though I don't think.

Old 03-06-2009 | 04:37 PM
MegaMini9309
Neutral
VentureShield

We had our 2009 Clubman S, with the Aero Kit completely covered to include the full hood, quarter panels, mirrors, rocker panels, and bumper. It was nearly a two day job, which was done through the dealer. The dealer recommended VentureShield over 3M. The install team did a fantastic job! However, I would recommend against a half hood kit. We had a loaner while it was in shop that had a half hood kit. Any dirt revealed a line.

We had a Cooper S prior to the Clubman, and I was constantly touching it up. To date, not a single chip.