R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Seat belt reminder

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure most of you know you can turn down the door gong but I'm wondering if it will also turn the seat belt gong down as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I'm sure most of you know you can turn down the door gong but I'm wondering if it will also turn the seat belt gong down as well.
how do you turn down the door gong?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iceman72
I too would like to know this procedure. I put my gym bag on the passenger seat all the time and it doesn't trip the seat belt gong. Some cars must be more sensitive.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
roy rupert, this thread may help your situation. It's for an 05 though so it may not be similar.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ferrerid=37725

It's not possible with the Nav. Non Nav cars have a setting in the radio for it according to some other folks here.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
The seatbelt gong is still there, trust me. I think I have mine on 0.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 AM
roy rupert
Neutral
Thanks Minidrivr,
I'll have to wait until my mini ( 09) gets a little older to try that. I've noticed my passenger air bag OFF light is on sometimes, would this let the people having trouble with their passenger seat belt alarm avoid the chime?
Roy

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I am not hurting anyone by not wearing my seatbelt, only myself.
Now I am not trying to start anything, and I feel that less government control is absolutely the way to go but that being said. When someone who is not wearing a seatbelt and survives cost the insurance company a ton of money. So since we are also required to have car insurance which covers bodily injury because heath insurance does not cover costs due to motor vehicle accidents. So because we are required to buy auto insurance we are also required to be safe so that the cost of insurance isn't even higher. I am sure many many people only wear their seatbelt because it is required. Personally I am uncomfortable driving without a seatbelt I like the little resistance that holds me in the seat, I actually have been considering the locking add on you can put on your lap belt section.

So you are not directly hurting someone if you don't wear your seatbelt and get in an accident, but someone has to pay to put you back together.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Come on people all we want is the damn noise to either not be so loud, the noise to not activate with any random lvl or pressure on the passenger seat, and the ability to make a quick 5 min run around the corner with out having to stap in. I think you seat belt beaters are going a bit too far. You know whats funny in my 36 years I have been in about 3 - 4 accidents, none of which were my fault. But the funny part is that none of the times did I have a seat belt on. All of the accidents except two totalled my cars. So it's not 100% necessary. Heck what do you think people did before seat belts? But honestly thats not really the point. That damn noise needs to be able to be toned down. I have had several loaner cars and I swear the noise is much lower than mine. Why? Mine is so loud that I cant make a call with out people complaining about the noise often. Yes 75% of the time i use my belt in the MC. But if I put something in that passenger seat it goes off. It's just annoying. Also why wont the dealership tell me how to turn the damn thing down a few notches?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mitch171
Now I am not trying to start anything, and I feel that less government control is absolutely the way to go but that being said. When someone who is not wearing a seatbelt and survives cost the insurance company a ton of money. So since we are also required to have car insurance which covers bodily injury because heath insurance does not cover costs due to motor vehicle accidents. So because we are required to buy auto insurance we are also required to be safe so that the cost of insurance isn't even higher. I am sure many many people only wear their seatbelt because it is required. Personally I am uncomfortable driving without a seatbelt I like the little resistance that holds me in the seat, I actually have been considering the locking add on you can put on your lap belt section.

So you are not directly hurting someone if you don't wear your seatbelt and get in an accident, but someone has to pay to put you back together.
Your logic is so flawed it doesn't even warrant a thorough response. I could respond, but all it would do is further the seatbelt debate that can be found in any other number of threads on NAM. I have not missed wearing my seatbelt in years. I do this because it makes me feel safe, not because the law tells me to. I don't follow the speed limit and I don't always stop at stop signs. And I most certainly don't measure what I do and how it will affect the insurance rates of those around me. So yes, I guess I am selfish.

I guess I won't take the time to point out what the main cause of high premiums is: people not having insurance. Forget seatbelts, that is what makes your insurance so high, that and our sue happy society.

God help this country honestly. I cannot wrap my head around how some of you think. Like your insurance would drop $10 a year if we all wore our seatbelts, whoopee.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
Your logic is so flawed it doesn't even warrant a thorough response. I could respond, but all it would do is further the seatbelt debate that can be found in any other number of threads on NAM. I have not missed wearing my seatbelt in years. I do this because it makes me feel safe, not because the law tells me to. I don't follow the speed limit and I don't always stop at stop signs. And I most certainly don't measure what I do and how it will affect the insurance rates of those around me. So yes, I guess I am selfish.

I guess I won't take the time to point out what the main cause of high premiums is: people not having insurance. Forget seatbelts, that is what makes your insurance so high, that and our sue happy society.

God help this country honestly. I cannot wrap my head around how some of you think. Like your insurance would drop $10 a year if we all wore our seatbelts, whoopee.
I agree with much of what you said, as I started my post saying that I think government control is unnecessary. And yes sue happy society makes this place a very stressful place to live. I was simply pointing out the probable logic behind how not wearing your seatbelt may effect more than yourself. I also wear my seatbelt because I think it is smart to do so and comfortable, not because I am told to.

I do not have the issue with the passenger seat as I have a 2005, but I totally understand peoples problem with that, you should be able to set a bag on the passenger seat without having to buckle it in. Most cars only have the seatbelt warning for the driver seat that I have rode in.

Also I hate it when people roll through the stop signs I have gotten in one accident and just missed several others because of people doing this... Speeding well I think that should be car/driver dependent. I wish there was a course that could grant you different levels of driving ability based on your car/skill combo. I realize this is impracticable.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Come on people all we want is the damn noise to either not be so loud, the noise to not activate with any random lvl or pressure on the passenger seat, and the ability to make a quick 5 min run around the corner with out having to stap in...

Heck what do you think people did before seat belts?

But if I put something in that passenger seat it goes off. It's just annoying. Also why wont the dealership tell me how to turn the damn thing down a few notches?
I feel maybe my comment was misunderstood, I feel you should have the choice to not wear your seatbelt. I also think if you buy a car you should be able to change any of the settings yourself. MINI has many settings you have to go to the dealer to change.

Cars before seat belts went less than 15 mph so... I don't really see your point. One of the first cars with a seat belt was a 1849 Volvo. Even in more recent history the 1955 Ford had a seatbelt so still quite low speed. We now drive well over the top speeds of those cars.

But this is not the point of what I was saying. I was simply saying that as you add more government control, more is necessary. I am sure the premiums would be much higher if there weren't laws requiring seatbelt usage. For example my insurance company required that I had been wearing a seat belt for them to cover my repair cost in my recent accident. I could have lied when the officer showed up, but anyway my insurance company would not give me a dime if I or my passenger was not wearing the belt.

In the end I think it should be up to each person to choose if they want to win the Darwin award or not, and our cars shouldn't provide additional distraction when we are driving. But I am very glad I do not have the sensor in my passenger seat, that sounds really annoying.

Last edited by mitch171; 02-27-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
I feel maybe my comment was misunderstood, I feel you should have the choice to not wear your seatbelt. I also think if you buy a car you should be able to change any of the settings yourself. MINI has many settings you have to go to the dealer to change.

Cars before seat belts went less than 15 mph so... I don't really see your point. One of the first cars with a seat belt was a 1849 Volvo. Even in more recent history the 1955 Ford had a seatbelt so still quite low speed. We now drive well over the top speeds of those cars.

But this is not the point of what I was saying. I was simply saying that as you add more government control, more is necessary. I am sure the premiums would be much higher if there weren't laws requiring seatbelt usage. For example my insurance company required that I had been wearing a seat belt for them to cover my repair cost in my recent accident. I could have lied when the officer showed up, but anyway my insurance company would not give me a dime if I or my passenger was not wearing the belt.

In the end I think it should be up to each person to choose if they want to win the Darwin award or not, and our cars shouldn't provide additional distraction when we are driving. But I am very glad I do not have the sensor in my passenger seat, that sounds really annoying.
I am not sure how old you are but some cars in the 70's did not come with seat belts chief. I had a 71 Cougar that did not have seat belts. That car went a bit faster than 15 mph.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
The 1955 Ford had an option for a seatbelt. Most had the option but were not required. Data must have indicated the benefits of wearing them so the government decided to step in. I am 24 so I do not have experience with buying a car in the 70's.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
The 1955 Ford had an option for a seatbelt. Most had the option but were not required. Data must have indicated the benefits of wearing them so the government decided to step in. I am 24 so I do not have experience with buying a car in the 70's.
The key word is option. I am sure that most people like most options opted out. I am too young to have purchased cars in the 70's as well. But I have owned old cars and have been to many car shows. Which i am sure you have probably as well. Take a look inside and tell me if most of the cars have seat belts.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not sure how old you are but some cars in the 70's did not come with seat belts chief. I had a 71 Cougar that did not have seat belts. That car went a bit faster than 15 mph.
Actually, all U.S. manufacturers had standard seat belts for at least the driver and front passenger by 1965. It was a bit longer before three-point seat belts became the norm, though. I had a 1972 Mercedes where the shoulder strap was separate from the lap strap because the shoulder strap was a factory option.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
ViperBing
1st Gear
Does anyone have the wiring schematic for the seat belt sensor? Since it does not appear that you can turn it off through the computer (or if you can, no one is spilling the beans on how), I might have to go old school and jump the wires closing the circuit (or open it depending).

Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Actually, all U.S. manufacturers had standard seat belts for at least the driver and front passenger by 1965. It was a bit longer before three-point seat belts became the norm, though. I had a 1972 Mercedes where the shoulder strap was separate from the lap strap because the shoulder strap was a factory option.
I am old enough to remember the mid 60's cars and in the late 60's yes most cars had a seat belt for the driver standard. Passenger side many did but not as many as the drivers side. My 67 VW Bus (van to those who have not seen one) had a drivers side seat belt but the passenger seat belt did not exist, but there were mounting points if one was wanted. And the rear seats not until the early to mid 70's. Although when they did start putting them in the rear seats many just got pushed down between the seat and back rest.

Then came the era of the shoulder belt which as one other person stated started as an option so many cars had the Lap Belt and a seperate Shoulder Belt. This usually meant two buckels at the seat when the shoulder belt was installed, although some had a combined buckle unit. Or like the early 80's VW Rabbit the shoulder belt rolled out of the seat near the center and buckled into the door above the shoulder. And when left buckled into the door whould move out of the way as the door was opened. Others buckled to the roof jsut above the door and had a mechanical movement sliding forward as the door was opened.

Back to the regularly scheduled program as we have gotten off track here.

Although the government put these laws into effect. It has much more to do with the insurance industry telling the government to enact these laws for buzzers, bells, whistles etc. than government being "big brohter". If the insurance companies did not spead so much of our dollars to buy congress to implement these laws then they probably would not exist. but don't get me satrted on the insurance companies.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperBing
Does anyone have the wiring schematic for the seat belt sensor? Since it does not appear that you can turn it off through the computer (or if you can, no one is spilling the beans on how), I might have to go old school and jump the wires closing the circuit (or open it depending).
I don't think there's more than two wires coming out of the buckle receptacle, so I'd just check the continuity between those two wires with the buckle in place and with the buckle removed, and go from there.

(Don't forget to have the ignition on when you're checking the wires.)

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
ViperBing
1st Gear
If there are only two wires, it will be a simple fix.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
>> So you are not directly hurting someone if you don't wear your seatbelt and get in an accident, but someone has to pay to put you back together.<<

Why don't you nanny's go hector someone else? We're all adults here and can decide for ourselves the risks we wish to take.

And don't start spewing that insurance rates garbage - tell it to someone who gives a *****. Stop harshing our buzz and STFU...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
>> So you are not directly hurting someone if you don't wear your seatbelt and get in an accident, but someone has to pay to put you back together.<<

Why don't you nanny's go hector someone else? We're all adults here and can decide for ourselves the risks we wish to take.

And don't start spewing that insurance rates garbage - tell it to someone who gives a *****. Stop harshing our buzz and STFU...
Ok wow I thought this was a discussion forum and we could discuss things here. I must be mistaken. I am not telling anyone they are wrong, but pointing our some other things to think about.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Iceman72, on '07 and up, you press the music note on the radio controls and you get the display of bass, fader, balance, and gong. Just designate "gong" and set it down to what ever you want. Like I said before, I don't know if it will do that just for the door only or for both door and seat belt.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Iceman72, on '07 and up, you press the music note on the radio controls and you get the display of bass, fader, balance, and gong. Just designate "gong" and set it down to what ever you want. Like I said before, I don't know if it will do that just for the door only or for both door and seat belt.
Mine does not have the gong option.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
I have my gong set to -5 and its still loud as sh*t.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like the radio is getting an input for this from somewhere, and therefore it should be possible to remove it........

Quick Reply: R55 Seat belt reminder