R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Top tether anchors for child seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 01:28 PM
pilotman
|
1st Gear
Top tether anchors for child seats?

we are considering the Clubman and have to small kids in forward facing car seats. I know the Clubman has LATCH connectors, but was wondering if it has anchors for the top tethers (probably metal hooks covered by plastic covers like the LATCH) They would either be on the tops of the backseats, on the back side of the backseats or maybe even the cargo floor. Does anyone even happen to have a picture of these? (our closest dealer is 2 hours and nothing on website).

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009 | 03:06 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
yes there are!

The are in the cargo cutout behind the back seats. They work fine. they are uncovered. you can only see the strap coming up from under the cargo storage cover. Both latches are hidden.

Old 03-06-2009 | 03:10 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The tether anchors are bolted to the floor of the car in the trunk. I'll be happy to post a pic of my son's Britax Frontier seat installed in the Clubman with the LATCH anchors and the versa tether attached to the floor.

Old 03-06-2009 | 03:12 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
In sedans and coupes, the top tether anchors are found on the rear window shelve. In some SUVs and Minivans, they are attached to the roof headliner or the back of the seatback.

In my other MINI, 2005 MCS hardtop, the top tether anchors are located in the rear of the seatbacks. I like it better in the Clubman because these anchors are bolted directly to the metal car body.

Old 03-06-2009 | 03:51 PM
pilotman
|
1st Gear
ClubmanS, you seem to be a resident carseat expert. Don't trouble yourself taking a picture, someone just did.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...clubman-2.html

Love this place, so helpful, just great. I really appreciate the advice.

Does using the top tether strap impact your ability to load cargo?

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2009 | 04:08 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Not at all. Neither the top tether belts nor the tether itself will interfere or take up valuable cargo space.

Originally Posted by pilotman
ClubmanS, you seem to be a resident carseat expert. Don't trouble yourself taking a picture, someone just did.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...clubman-2.html

Love this place, so helpful, just great. I really appreciate the advice.

Does using the top tether strap impact your ability to load cargo?

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2009 | 04:09 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
How old are your kids?

PS: Are you an airplane pilot? Just curious!

Old 03-06-2009 | 05:21 PM
pilotman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
How old are your kids?

PS: Are you an airplane pilot? Just curious!
We have two twin boys, 14 months old, Carson and Cooper

I am not a pilot, just a nickname with a long story

Thanks again

Old 01-31-2013 | 01:10 PM
lbean
Neutral
Rear-facing and top tether usage?

Dear fellow MINI Cooper fans,
This thread - and other similar ones - have been so helpful to me!
I have been able to hang on to my MINI despite many folks wondering how I could with a little one... My son just outgrew his baby carseat so based on all the advice I bought the Combi Corroco. I still have a question that does not seem to be addressed on the forum. I have called the 2 MINI service centers nearest me but have not received calls back... Here is my issue: I need to keep baby rear-facing. How, then, do I use the top tether for the Combi Corroco? The only attachment for a top tether in my 2004 Mini Cooper is in the boot/trunk which is great for a forward-facing car seat arrangement but seems useless for me now. If I am understanding the car and carseat manuals correctly (which may not be the case!), it seems I have two options: (a) don't use LATCH and instead use the seatbelt (which doesn't seem as safe??) or (b) get a top tether anchor installed but is this possible?

Grateful to you all for any advice!
All best,
Lori

Old 02-02-2013 | 12:23 PM
minicooper1985
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pilotman
We have two twin boys, 14 months old, Carson and Cooper

I am not a pilot, just a nickname with a long story

Thanks again
HA! My 18 month old son's name is Cooper. Let me guess, the name influenced the purchase, didn't it? Same here to a degree.

The LATCH system in the Clubman can be a pain in the ever living rear end if you are installing/removing (moreso removing) a seat due to those little cubbies they put the LATCH connectors in. The over the top ones I like because, as mentioned by EVERYONE here before, they are connected to the unibody. In my Focus, they are in the seat backs, which I'm not overly thrilled with.

Old 02-02-2013 | 02:49 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by minicooper1985
The LATCH system in the Clubman can be a pain in the ever living rear end if you are installing/removing (moreso removing) a seat due to those little cubbies they put the LATCH connectors in
I love those cubbies. I've spent enough time fishing around trying to find the latch points hidden in seat cushions that I really, really like the MINI latch sockets!

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:58 PM
minicooper1985
3rd Gear
My fingers are too big for them. My wife's better at getting in there with her slimmer fingers.