R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S vs. Clubman non-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:40 PM
artfulmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I LOVE the look of the regular Cooper's bonnet/hood and think its design is perfect! And thank goodness they sell both kinds here in the USA!
+1 -- I prefer the look of the non-S... will probably customize my next 'S' with a 'non-S' grille... I'm even considering a new 'non-S', but will definitely make my next a 6sp manual....

Old 03-22-2009 | 07:45 PM
reACTION
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Thank goodness we all have different opinions and different needs, eh? I LOVE the look of the regular Cooper's bonnet/hood and think its design is perfect, while I find the hood scoop and front of the S way too aggressive and almost angry.

Viva la difference! And thank goodness they sell both kinds here in the USA!
I wouldn't call it angry per se but I don't like the fact that the scoop is fake. I think it diminishes its 'S-ness' quite a bit.

Old 03-22-2009 | 08:42 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by reACTION
I wouldn't call it angry per se but I don't like the fact that the scoop is fake. I think it diminishes its 'S-ness' quite a bit.

fake would imply that it allows no airflow?

looks like it has some vents to me

Last edited by BuzzCut1; 03-22-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2009 | 09:08 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by veg1515
I think the Justa looks funny from the front without the hood scoop. For some reason to me, the justa does not seem like a real mini.
All right now, them's fightin' words...

Old 03-22-2009 | 09:25 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by veg1515
I think the Justa looks funny from the front without the hood scoop. For some reason to me, the justa does not seem like a real mini.
I prefer the scoop also. I also prefer driving fast, but at the Clubman get together today Robin in a PW JustaClubman drove pretty fast for a non-S.

Old 03-22-2009 | 09:57 PM
artfulmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1
fake would imply that it allows no airflow?
looks like it has some vents to me
I think his "fake" remark refers to the fact that the 2nd gen MCS scoop is purely decorative to keep an association w/ the 1st gen MCS, where the scoop actually had a purpose.

Old 03-23-2009 | 04:57 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
The scoop is partially functional, it does supply some cool air to keep under-hood temps down a bit. However, they should have gone the full Monty and made it forced air induction. They probably could have squeezed out 7-10 more HP by doing so...

The next logical step for BMW is to install a 2.0 liter motor that has 140 HP regular and 200 HP in turbo form. This would satisfy everyone in the US except, perhaps, the tuners...The current non-turbo motor is too gutless for me, drives like any other econobox...

And I still don't get the torque steer comments, I find it to have virtually no torque steer. Of course, I don't have wimpy, girly-man forearms, either.

Old 03-23-2009 | 06:21 AM
FreshMINI
1st Gear
I didn't know being a "manly man" was a prerequisite for buying an S - good thing I didn't buy one cause I'm a puss. If the S doesn't have torque steer - please tell me what car does?

Old 03-23-2009 | 07:45 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
I believe the key consideration is what kind of driving will the car be asked to perform 90% of the time. If it is mostly city/suburban commuting and not much freeway, then the justacoop will be fine. If you want the extra HP in the S, it comes with a bit of baggage, imho; runflats = a bit rougher ride, no spare, more $ up front & a bit more $ down the road in mpg, as well as potential higher maintenance/upkeep for the turbo-charger. That being said, if you are used to the push back in the seats of engines > 4 cyl, the justacoop may be a tad slow off the line. My justacoop & I get along fine as I do mostly city driving, and even though I used to drive a 5.7 HEMI Dodge with 375+HP, I have A LOT of fun in Capt'n Jack. The mini handling in curves regardless of engine is far superior to most anything else out there in similar price ranges. Do let us know what you end up with, as inquiring minds are just plain curious, thanks!

Old 03-23-2009 | 08:35 AM
artfulmini
2nd Gear
motoringfile.com just posted a "Happy 7th Birthday" entry today which includes their original review of the MC and MCS.

Excerpt:

"First off I was surprised at how capable and flat out fun the base Cooper is. It's almost fun enough to forget about the S entirely... The Cooper's main weakness in my mind is the 45-70 acceleration. You must be "involved" with the transmission to get to 70 quickly. But that's part of the fun as well... Overall I was really surprised at the lack of difference between the MC and the MCS below 30 mph."

Old 03-23-2009 | 08:43 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by artfulmini
motoringfile.com just posted a "Happy 7th Birthday" entry today which includes their original review of the MC and MCS.

Excerpt:

"First off I was surprised at how capable and flat out fun the base Cooper is. It's almost fun enough to forget about the S entirely... The Cooper's main weakness in my mind is the 45-70 acceleration. You must be "involved" with the transmission to get to 70 quickly. But that's part of the fun as well... Overall I was really surprised at the lack of difference between the MC and the MCS below 30 mph."
That's awesome if you're driving in a school zone or sitting in traffic...however, I rarely go below 30 mph in my S...!!

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:06 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I do think that this topic, in its various incarnations, is one of the funniest on NAM.

Loved your post hoonu!

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:07 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Fresh Mini wondered:
"I didn't know being a "manly man" was a prerequisite for buying an S - good thing I didn't buy one cause I'm a puss. If the S doesn't have torque steer - please tell me what car does?"

Taurus SHO. Saab 9-3 SE. To name two that I've owned. Acura TS-X, a buddy has one. Now those cars have real torque steer. When you punch it with them, you'd better be a very capable driver or you'll be in the weeds in a hurry. The Clubman S, based upon my experience with my automatic version, has virtually NONE. N-O-N-E....

And I'm glad you found the right car for pussies...

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:21 AM
FreshMINI
1st Gear
I had 2 SHO's a few years back and I don't remember any torque steer ... Then again, I did crash both of them.

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:32 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
“justa does not seem like a real mini”,” do I want a nice looking econbox [non s]”,” I only made it 100yards from the dealership in a non-s before I realized I couldn't live with it. Just didn't have enough power”,” The "Justa" Clubman feels a little overtaxed in the highway”. Wow I wonder what the JCW guys would say about the Justa S Clubman. The Justa Clubman (or shall I say non S as not use the “J” word) gets along just fine a 80mph on the hwy goes 0-60 is just 2 seconds more that a s. I bet it took you more than that to read this. It may have on only 118hp but it’s a still a very small car. If you look at just the numbers the S only has 172hp in a world of 250,300 even 500hp cars but due to it’s size it pulls dam hard. Feels faster the gt mustang I had a few years back. Same can be said about the non S pulls much harder that you would think 118hp would and gets the job done just fine. It’s fine to voice your views but you no spare having, hood scoop melting, cost start rattling, more gas burring S drivers need remember the justa sorry non S is a fine car.

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:29 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
I'm sure the non-S is great for many who have chosen it. There are just some of us who prefer the S and would highly recommend it to someone trying to decide S or non-S...S'ers would say 'go with the S...there is no other option!'.

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:40 AM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
It’s fine to voice your views but you no spare having, hood scoop melting, cold start rattling, more gas burning S drivers need remember the justa sorry non S is a fine car.
Quote of the year!

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:55 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
If you really know how to drive, it's no contest - the S will steal the regular Clubbie's lunch money and send him home to momma crying. If you can possibly afford the S, get it.
I beg to differ, this is the quote of the year.

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:07 AM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
If you really know how to drive, it's no contest - the S will steal the regular Clubbie's lunch money and send him home to momma crying. If you can possibly afford the S, get it.
Originally Posted by HTClubman
I beg to differ, this is the quote of the year.
Oh good grief. If a turbo Clubbie can't beat a regular Clubbie in a race then something is terribly wrong. Of course, turbo clubbies in the shop getting one more attempted fix would lose that race wouldn't they.

The point was that the Justa is fine. Those who are adamant that you must have a turbo to steal other cars lunch money, well, why don't you own Ferraris, Formula 1 cars, or Herbie?

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:17 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
LotusLight - W-O-W...easy. I don't want a Ferrari...I want and have a Clubman S . I just found that quote hillarious!

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:36 AM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
LotusLight - W-O-W...easy. I don't want a Ferrari...I want and have a Clubman S . I just found that quote hillarious!

That's cool - I will take a chill pill. I will admit it is a funny quote. By the way, here is what you can do in a Ferrari. Make sure you watch it with the sound on.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/36571/detail/

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:43 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Thanks for the link...it just takes me to the website, but not to the video?

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:56 AM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Thanks for the link...it just takes me to the website, but not to the video?
Hmmm, it takes me to the video. It requires Quicktime, and is slow to load. Starts out black, then some text. Another way to get there is to Google rendezvous ferrari, then click on the link for the Milk and Cookies site (other sites seem to not work for me). One site says it was not a Ferrari and that the director drove his own Mercedes. Even if so, it is still cool.

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:05 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
That is a wicked video(Film)..

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:57 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
I think my work is blocking something, so I will look later on the home computer!

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman S vs. Clubman non-S