R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Haunted barn doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 06:15 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Well over the last Friday/Saturday deluge of non-stop rain we had in Toronto, my 2008 Clubman started popping the rear hatch faster and more often than Paris Hilton.

Once the rain stopped and things dried out, it stopped exhibiting this exhibitionist behavior. I dropped it off at MINI this morning and they gave me a spanky new 128i as a loaner (BMW Toronto does MINI service here). Nice car

These little things better sort themselves out soon, or I'll be selling the car before warranty runs out.

Old 03-19-2010 | 09:06 AM
PRinTX
2nd Gear
That crazy, I was complaining to the dealer that the right door did not pop-open (you know hit the button and it swings open) like the left one and they said it was a safety mechanism to keep the door from hitting other cars when pressing the button.

Old 03-19-2010 | 10:08 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
It shouldn't fly open, but if it opens while you're driving, enough small bumps and turns will eventually cause it to swing wide open.

BMW replaced all sorts of things on mine, including the handle itself. Any excuse to bill the mother-ship under warranty I suppose.

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:24 PM
Little Bean
|
3rd Gear
Mine stopped being haunted if i thru the key fob in the boot and then got in and drove away. Then I changed to my spare key fob and have not had a problem since.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-26-2010 | 07:14 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Same here....... changed to my spare key fob and the issue went away. I have to try going back to the other one and see if it happens again.

Old 03-27-2010 | 05:49 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Driver's Side Left Rear Door Won't Open

After I first received the 09 Clubman in Sept 08, had a problem with the left rear door not opening. The dealer apparently performed the service for the wet wiring, and the problem went away...until recently.

Once again the door won't open......but sometimes it will if you open and close the right door firmly. Then it quit working alltogether

Turns out the problem is a defective "micro switch" in the right door which isn't tripping to tell the left door (via the computer) that the door is open, so it's OK to release the lock.

Have an appointment to take it to the dealer on April 1st....no fool'in

Old 03-31-2010 | 07:59 AM
n559br
1st Gear
I just completed replacing the door latch on the right split door in my mini. It was a drowned car but only had about 6" of water in the floor boards. I found the microswitch was bad but cannot be repaired without disassembling the latch. Since the latch only retails for $65 it was an easy fix. The auto opening feature is activated by the CAN bus from the JBE so any corrosion on the CAN bus leads could cause noise and possible malfunctions.

If you want to test the microswitch you need a long metal probe and slide it into the latch opening about 2 inches and then you can get the switch to trip to let you open the left split door. Of course there is no shop manual I have been able to purchase to tell me how to fix just the switch.

Old 04-25-2013 | 03:27 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
One of the things I forgot to mention to my SA before the car went out of warranty... and I thought it was just me somehow.

Old 10-09-2013 | 02:17 PM
bastokyg
Neutral
I see that I'm coming in a little late here, but I have a 2011 Clubman S and I often come outside in the morning to find one of my barn doors open. The dealer told me it was because I probably pressed the fob button by mistake, but since the first couple of times I have been very careful about putting my fob away as soon as I walk in the door after work. This continues to happen, fairly regularly. I wish there was some way to adjust the sensitivity. I had to wonder if one of my neighbors had a similar frequency and it was opening my door, but I have moved fairly often lately and the only thing I can figure is that it's haunted. Windows are sometimes down on both sides. Once I went out after it had rained hard all night, to find the windows down, but the interior completely dry. Can ghosts defy the laws of physics?

Enough people seem to be having this ghostly opening issue to make it seem like something Mini needs to look into. I know there is a water issue, but I don't think that's it.

Old 10-09-2013 | 03:00 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bastokyg
I see that I'm coming in a little late here, but I have a 2011 Clubman S and I often come outside in the morning to find one of my barn doors open. The dealer told me it was because I probably pressed the fob button by mistake, but since the first couple of times I have been very careful about putting my fob away as soon as I walk in the door after work. This continues to happen, fairly regularly. I wish there was some way to adjust the sensitivity. I had to wonder if one of my neighbors had a similar frequency and it was opening my door, but I have moved fairly often lately and the only thing I can figure is that it's haunted. Windows are sometimes down on both sides. Once I went out after it had rained hard all night, to find the windows down, but the interior completely dry. Can ghosts defy the laws of physics?

Enough people seem to be having this ghostly opening issue to make it seem like something Mini needs to look into. I know there is a water issue, but I don't think that's it.
Sounds like you need to schedule a visit (only 200+ miles!) to a/your 'local' MINI dealer. The windows going down hint of a need to 're-flash' the controls. When's your next oil change due?

P.S. My mother was born in Rogers.

P.P.S. I became convinced my jeans are just too tight/pockets too full of knives and phones.

P.P.P.S. Welcome!

Old 10-09-2013 | 04:11 PM
bastokyg
Neutral
Yes, a trip to the dealer is scheduled...

Coincidentally, I scheduled a service for next week (yes, 200+ miles away!!) and we'll see what they can do. My dealer in San Jose wrote it off as "fob-in-the-pocket." I've been careful though.

Thanks for the welcome! I've only been in this area for 6 months -- it's a great place to drive a Mini!

Old 10-09-2013 | 04:14 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bastokyg
Thanks for the welcome! I've only been in this area for 6 months -- it's a great place to drive a Mini!
Do this, if you can.

http://www.ozarkmini.com/

Old 10-09-2013 | 04:17 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Looks like you are fixin' to have a slightly closer dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/parkermini

Old 10-09-2013 | 06:43 PM
bastokyg
Neutral
slightly closer, but good to know!

Thanks!! The difference in distance between Bentonville and Kansa City, MO compared to Bentonvillle and Little Rock is only a matter of a few miles, it seems. I guess I had it easy in the SF Bay Area where there were 3 dealerships within 50 miles. Now I have to plan a whole day around getting a service.

Old 10-09-2013 | 06:54 PM
bastokyg
Neutral
WOW! Wish I had known about this sooner

Originally Posted by pmsummer
Do this, if you can.

http://www.ozarkmini.com/
Haven't yet made it to Eureka Springs -- this looks like fun. Thanks!!