R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who has the most miles on the Clubman, and how are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18,000 miles, delivered may of '08. Hhad the typical power window problem and club door cable problem, but that is it. Delivering just under 35 mpg average - always using premium and rarely, rarely with ethanol. Only real complaint is the brake dust on the front wheels. Looking forward to replacing with ceramic pads.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
We're at just under 20K miles (have had it 16 months) and not one issue (touch wood)! Had its 1 year check up in December and everything was fine. Love it and LOVE driving it.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Took deliver...brand new 2009 on 4/25/09. Just rolled 20,000 miles...in 9 months.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
24,000 since March of 08. No turbo on Cocoa Cooper, and few issues. Those facts might be related. However, I've had my windows re-programmed, a frozen club door (fixed quickly), moisture in the front fog lights, some carpet issues in the back, all fixed. I echo the tendency to dent easily by acorns, etc. I've found an excellent dent remover locally, and he's done two rounds on the car so far.
One new issue, un-fixed as of yet- my garage door opening button on the mirror quit working, so I have the plastic opener clipped to my side visor now.
Not really a lot of trouble for two years of driving fun.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
Here is an update to my post on 7/09:

I have over 32,500 on my Clubman S which I bought in 2/08 and have run pretty hard since. I travel on 2hr+ trips on most weekend with my wife, two kids and two terriers. I have also taken it to Dragon's Tale for a little twisty mountain driving and even took it to the mountains for a Ski trip a few weeks after purchase.

My only issues have been:

1) The Sunroof Problem -- I had numerous issues with the sunroof not opening. It was serviced twice and the problem returned. On the third visit they had a new set of instructions and removed the glass and have apparently fixed the problem. The sunroof has been working in cold and hot for the last 6 months fine.

2) Rear arm rest plastic caps -- The right and left side plastic caps have popped off a couple of times. I think this is due to my kids pushing on them with their feet in the back seat. I would not call this a flaw it is just a little on the light side when it comes to kid wear.

3) Acorns -- Damn them from a tree in my driveway have left a few dings on my hood that I have gotten fixed. Another item that is not really a Mini issue but seems like the skin is a little more sensitive to the other cars in my driveway.

4) Hood Scoop -- My hood scoop has warped some from the heat. I discussed it with the dealer last week and he said that there was a warranty replacement available that included painting it the correct color for my Mini.

5) Rattly Sound in Cold Weather -- My car sounded really rough in cold weather and the dealer noticed that I had not corrected this warranty item and fixed it during my last service appointment. The sound did not bother me and so I did not mention it to the dealer but it sounds like others really hated it.

6) Window Auto-Down -- I had a few instances where the window would automatically go auto down when I tried to lower it a little. It seemed to happen in wet weather. This was a pretty common issues and the warranty fixed it under warranty.

7) Rear Top Break Light Moisture -- There is a problem with the top brake light that allows moisture into the long horizontal lens. I have had this fixed by the dealer but it still contains moisture. The moisture remains in cold and hot weather and is annoying but I do not know if there will ever be a solution.

All-in-all, I love the car and would buy it again in a second (maybe JCW version next time). It has worked excellent for my family of four and saved us thousands in fuel cost last year alone.

My only issue I have with the car is the the Y-shaped connector for the iPhone GS. The Y-connector worked great with the iPhone and iPhone G but the newer (almost 1 year old) GS is not compatible with the connector. I know that this is a huge issue and the dealer has been bombed with complaints about this issue. I am still waiting for a replacement cable but as of last week there is no solution.

Cheers,
Malc

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1
23,352 miles since Oct 08 and not a single problem
update 37,000 and still no problems

2 best decisions we have made since buying the clubbie were getting rid of the run flats and switching to Potenza G019 grids and tinting the sunroof, rear and side windows

Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1

best decisions ...tinting the sunroof, rear and side windows
I think I will eventually do this as well. Even in NYC in the winter the car heats up quickly if the sun is out. I could only imagine what living in Arizona must be like in the summer, lol. Not to mention, my kid in the back seat is hating the sun in her eyes. Time for some research!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I have 40k on my 08 Clubman. We have only had minor problems like the window up-down problem. We have run though one set of front and rear brakes but thats not too bad. I am very happy with the car!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
chazz1946
Neutral
We have an '08 Clubman S (purchased 2/08) with 57K on it. We drive it hard and have been to several SCMM weekend runs. Been thru a full set of brakes, no more runflats (Kumhos 215s), got dealer (Bob Smith) to replace warped scoop with carbonfiber one (goodwill). First serious issue just came up; balky cold-start, lots of black smoke, stumbles and stalls for about 2 minutes, then runs fine. It's at Bob Smith's as of this writing. They think that it might be fuel pressure regulato. We'll see. We're saving for another MCS 'cause they're so much damn fun!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Now at 58k smiles. No real issues. Sunroof does not open when hot, had scoop replaced under warranty and had timing tensioner service performed under warranty.
Just put 2nd set of front pads on, went with hawk ceramic to see if I can avoid the dust. Decent feel so will see how they do over time.

Had a set of BFG KDW tires that were LOUD but FUN. Thrashed them and now on responsible all season long life tires. Much less fun to drive but I would like to have them last a while.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Bob Stephens
2nd Gear
We just turned 32500, picked up in April, 2008, and it's been from Tucson to Seattle and back twice. Had a leak in the intake manifold with less than 10k but no problems since that fix. Had new front brakes at 30K, paid for my Mini. Oh yeah, the rear auxiliary 12v plug fell out but it's fixed too.

The bad news is we just today ran over a big screw that killed a run-flat. They were down to 3/32 so new shoes tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
40k miles, all good 'till now.

I also picked mine up on launch day and hit 40k miles exactly 2 years later, Feb 16, 2010. Brakes were replaced under service plan without much fanfare. New tires (17" Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP) at 36k with a wheel upgrade (Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2) was a great way to get me re-excited about the car.

So. All has been well. Except...
Right now, every few mornings I have to deal with a screeching when I attempt to start the car, but eventually the engine turns over and the car pretends everything is fine. It's probably a starter issue but is so sporadic I'm sure it won't happen if I take it in for a check-up. Now that my warranty is up, I'm keeping an eye out for a good, cheap service location. (Long Beach, Ca... Suggestions appreciated!)

Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock on wood, but I'm at 16K after 8 months and not a single problem. I only wish my wife had been willing to drive manual and I'd have a JCW Clubbie.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let's Update these miles!

Clubman Owners,
I enjoy seeing the longevity reports, but as we see, the interest is fading. I'd like to see someone with 100K + reporting again.
Mine is non-S, 2008, and now has 35k. I'm hoping to drive it ten years. It's still like new.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
We bought ours Mar 16, 2010 (not quite 10 months) and have put 27500 miles on it with no real issues. We did have a bluetooth module and a window problem, but other than that no other problems.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Took delivery in October 2008, it's a 2009 MCCa, and I have about 28,400 miles on it. The only issues have been minor - clubdoor sometimes still sticks and won't open - so I push in the button at the bottom, and once or twice we've had enchanted windows, otherwise it's been great. And the roof rails were worth it!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took delivery June 21, 2008. Currently approaching 57k miles!

Had the sunroof issues, the 'death rattle' issue, and I'm on my third hood scoop. Two have melted/warped. I have no complaints. I love my Lady G just as much as the first day I drove her home!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Took delivery last week - 231 miles so far, and going strong!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
OldLoad
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Took delivery 2 years ago this week, coming up on 35K. Just recently acquired a buzz/rattle in the left corner of the dash and getting ready to replace the %$#* noisy run-flats but other that, good to go!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
E30M3
1st Gear
Has anybody removed the rear overhang and inspected the roof metal? My local dealer here in Germany says that they are showing rust problems in that area even though the cars are only a year or two old.

I think if your light saber is showing condensation, then it might be worth it to remove the plastic covers and inspect for rust as well!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by E30M3
I think if your light saber is showing condensation . . .
I just hate when my light saber shows condensation . . . shows a lack of concentration in the force!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
33,000 Miles in 17 months

Originally Posted by OldLoad
Took delivery 2 years ago this week, coming up on 35K. Just recently acquired a buzz/rattle in the left corner of the dash and getting ready to replace the %$#* noisy run-flats but other that, good to go!
OldLoad let me know about this as mine just started doing this.

Took delivery on Aug 27th 2009.
Installed Catch can at 15k due to reported issues of valves clogging up, I use Sea Foam every oil change at 5k miles when I rotate the tires as well.
Otherwise... 33k with a loose hood scoop repaired at 20k.
Runflats tossed at 24k (Best mod I ever did!)
Front Grill (Lower Edge) came lose at 26k.
Currently the Passenger side Visor broke at 30k and I have a minor oil leak (Hmmm) that is being looked at on Jan 18th (Next big service.)
Otherwise no problems and I do drive the car hard.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Just hit 15,000 miles today, after driving it off the lot 10 months ago. Haven't had any real problems with it so far, except the left barn door shock failed failed and the panel clips broke off. Still running strong though. Trying to fine tune the suspension a bit more though.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
twocute
2nd Gear
65,000 miles since 1 May, '08. We're just now starting to hear a little noise from the right rear wiper (but it quiets down after a few passes). No other issues, other than brake pads. We use it to tow our Classic '75 Mini Clubman Estate. It does great! With Blizzaks it's fantastic in the snow, too.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
11,000 miles since September 2010. Outside temp sensor went bad, and key fob stopped opening doors remotely. Both fixed quickly by dealer.

Quick Reply: R55 Who has the most miles on the Clubman, and how are they holding up?