R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who has the most miles on the Clubman, and how are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
66,300+ and so far nothing, bought at 38,900. Replaced frt brake pads because of the ridiculous dust, no issues now, the previous owner did the timing chain dust-up and also a turbo, Im betting because of listening to that stupid on-board oil-change computer. DON'T. 6.5K changes for me, Mobil1 every time. Engine still quite (other than the usual injector rattle) and runs great. Lovin the 32 to 37 MPG and the looks from other motorists. Gonna do roof rack, FMIC, cold pipe and PCM reflash next, should be about 235 BHP comin ................

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should have added however that water pump is in the near future, okay, so 66K+, just used to my older GMs rock-solid engines that go 2 to 300K no problem, 1983 Camaro 308K, original engine, trans, rear, and a current 92 Grand Prix 3,4L 265BHP 4cam V6, 183K original all as well, second clutch, alt and water pump, engine still factory sealed.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
alexcos
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteinLongBeach
Lately I've been taking an interest in the Mini, especially the Clubman. It fits me and my needs like a glove. But, after only 30 minutes of reading I see premature issues with:

water pumps, electric window reprogramming, timing chain tensioners, "death rattle", carbon build-up on valves, fuel pumps, brake rotors, oil consumption...

Just to name a few of the issues I'm seeing so far. All this would have me very concerned when considering basic/primary transportation.

I think the Mini is brilliant in its concept, character, personalization, and marketing. But, I am accustomed to cars that give NO problems for at least 100,000 miles, so a lot of what I'm reading raises significant concerns.

Love the Mini in a test drive and from a distance..... somebody reassure me from an owner's long-term perspective.
My 2009 Clubman S has 117,000 miles (3 years 3 months) and I would normally keep my cars for well over 200,000 but I couldn't resist the new Roadster. SOOOOOOOO I will be trading in my Clubman for a new Mini Roadster tomorrow. The Clubman has been great, still fun to drive, starts every time, up and down 95 from NY to Florida in comfort. And that's why I am sticking with Mini. Did have to replace the water pump, the main one, Mini replaced the one that was recalled. Had a little problem with back left break not disengaging but my local mechanic solved it (cable had too sharp of a bend going back to the wheel) other then that, I just keep the maintenance as required by my local mechanic (too far of a drive for the Mini Service Center). Still get 34-35 MPG average (so says the computer) and tracked 39 MPG on a 400 mile trip few months ago. I also toured the Mini production line in Oxford a few years ago and was very impressed, that's why I purchased my Clubman.
Cheers

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alexcos
My 2009 Clubman S has 117,000 miles (3 years 3 months) and I would normally keep my cars for well over 200,000 but I couldn't resist the new Roadster. SOOOOOOOO I will be trading in my Clubman for a new Mini Roadster tomorrow. The Clubman has been great, still fun to drive, starts every time, up and down 95 from NY to Florida in comfort. And that's why I am sticking with Mini. Did have to replace the water pump, the main one, Mini replaced the one that was recalled. Had a little problem with back left break not disengaging but my local mechanic solved it (cable had too sharp of a bend going back to the wheel) other then that, I just keep the maintenance as required by my local mechanic (too far of a drive for the Mini Service Center). Still get 34-35 MPG average (so says the computer) and tracked 39 MPG on a 400 mile trip few months ago. I also toured the Mini production line in Oxford a few years ago and was very impressed, that's why I purchased my Clubman.
Cheers
Curious, just what was it that impressed you during the plant tour?? Never seen one, myself, so wouldnt have a clue what I was seeing.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
alexcos
Neutral
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Curious, just what was it that impressed you during the plant tour?? Never seen one, myself, so wouldnt have a clue what I was seeing.
I was attending Oxford at the time, attending a summer class in International Commerce. The tour focused on the Leadership culture of Mini/BMW. Every week everyone in production met in teams to discuss what was working and ideas for improvement, they spent time listening and implemented many of the changes offered by the floor production crews. I've been in other manufacturing plants but by far this was the cleanest production floor I had every seen. The pride in workman ship was evident in everyone and I believe it still shows in their cars today.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alexcos
I was attending Oxford at the time, attending a summer class in International Commerce. The tour focused on the Leadership culture of Mini/BMW. Every week everyone in production met in teams to discuss what was working and ideas for improvement, they spent time listening and implemented many of the changes offered by the floor production crews. I've been in other manufacturing plants but by far this was the cleanest production floor I had every seen. The pride in workman ship was evident in everyone and I believe it still shows in their cars today.

Wow, good to know!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Update:My Clubbie has 44k now, and it's 4 years old as of this coming week. As I face the end of warranty I have to address some recent issues, and will do so on Monday morning, 300 miles away:
A valve lifter is stuck (my ametuer diagnosis, there's a strong ticking under the engine cover).
For the second time my driver's door handle is nearly impossible to squeeze open. This was fixed two years ago, but it didn't hold. Also for the second time, the carpet behind the rear seats isn't sitting right over the seat when it's lowered, so it plunges under the seat when raised.
Now, these are about all that's ever happened to it in 4 years.

P.S. Anyone-
Why would a valve lifter stick? I change oil every 5 to 7 k, and it's always clean and full. I drive it quite modestly, with sufficient verve and zest to keep it clean...

Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 AM
twocute
2nd Gear
88,300 miles since 5/1/08. Oil changed avery 5k. Just took it in for recall and had them check timing chain. 1 mm out of spec. Quoted $2100 to fix.
I'm going to contact someone higher up for some help with this because of the well known issues with timing chain tensioners.
Otherwise, the driver's window doesn't auto up any more, and the left rear wiper is acting up. Everything else is great!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Referring to the post above-
Dealer says it's not a valve lifter, but the vacuum pump, that's ticking. Anyone else have a diesel-like sound, sort of like a woodpecker trapped under the engine cover.
Is there a forum for engine sounds?
How about difficult door handles?
I love my Clubbie. Best car ever and maybe all I'll ever need.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
I also am having trouble with my door handles but the local dealer said they handles just need to be lubricated. I will post in the next week the latest info on my car to include what the lawyer has been able to find out/accomplish.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Yes, my dealer cleaning and adjusted the latch a bit, and the net result was close to zilch. I usually need a two hand wrap and squeeze to open it, while the passenger door is smooth and easy. People who try to open it, often tell me 'It's locked'.
I wish Mini had just used a different system. I had a similar mechanism on my old VW Rabbit door and I hated it. My wife's Hyundai is so easy- just pull the handle.
I guess it's part of the Mini personality.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Just passed 35,200 miles this week. I've had a fair amount of issues with the car (timing chain, replaced rotors 20k, electronic issues, barn door panels falling off..). I'm about to put it in storage for an undefined length of time, hopefully it holds up well with an outdoor cover.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
lns1122
3rd Gear
No complaints

Basic Clubman 2010 in Pepper White with Black accent and no extra trim. It is at 35000K and has had no problems, none. A local trusted mechanic just did a pre-36K check and found nothing that needed attention. I'm changing oil/filter every 6000K, using 93 octane if possible, and do a lot of interstate driving when I'm out. The Continental OEM tires have been great. The mpg has been superb: average 42 on long distance trips and average 38 on short ones. I'm surprized that I'm still 'selling' MINI to admirers frequently but it isn't difficult since over the past 9 years I've become totally sold on the brand.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Aguatrekker
Neutral
I have 79,747miles on my 08 Clubman S. Just replaced the timing chain tensioner to get rid of the diesel like noise. Much smoother now. I just need to clean the inlet valves of the carbon build-up that is very common. Minor stuff for a great ride. No other issues. I do all my own work(BMW quoted $300 to install the tensioner, I did it in 45 minutes). Besides, it's fun to work on a well designed toy.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM
drhank2
Neutral
45000 and road noise and highway vibration is a problem.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
drhank2
Neutral
Road noise and vibration increases at 20k miles on tires. First tires replace at 20K. New
Mich tires, non run flat, installed. Now have 25k on tires and vibration and road noise increasing. Now on 4000 miles road trip and noise is horrible. Plastic in car vibrates. No vibration in steering.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Last reported in 1/2010 at 18,000. Happy to say the Justa is now at 38,000 with no additional issues to report. Hope the next 2 years are equally non-eventfull.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2012 Clubman had 13000 on it currently with no issues so far, lets hope it stays that way

Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
08 Clubman 58k

08 Clubman S -- 58,000 miles
I bought the Clubman S launch configured special a week after launch and so if there are bugs my car probably has them all. But, I am very happy and still enjoy turning on sport mode and cutting through traffic.

Here are the issues:
1) Sunroof closing issue -- Went back to dealer 3x and they finally corrected it about 2 years ago and so no longer any issues
2) Turbocharger failed -- replaced under warranty
3) 2x windshields cracked -- Not sure if it my bad luck or the steep angle of the windshield just sucks in rocks but this will be my 3rd.
4) Road Noise -- Replaced my run flats at 20k+ and now the new tires are getting loud. The pressure seems to hold fine but it is awfully loud. I have measured it at 90dB+ at about 55 on highway. Seems to be a harmonic soft spot near that speed.
5) Backup Light has moisture in it. I had it replaced once but regardless of whether it is wet or dry there is always moisture bubbles in the rear spoiler backup light
6) Wear Issues -- Door sil trim adhesive failed and trim has bent up and needs to be replaced. Third door courtesy light popped out and replaced. Gray plastic trim at back of center counsel pops off.

I do not want to seem like a gripe list because I love the car. This car is driven daily to work and used as a carpool vehicle for my boys. It is well used and held up very well. My gas mileage is right around 30mpg

Cheers!
Malc

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
jedm3
2nd Gear
08 S-146k miles. two timing chain tensioners, plus chain and one guide at 99k. Happily, I bought the extended warranty to 100k, cost me $50.
Otherwise been a great car and total fun to drive.
Details: Clubbie S, bluetooth, ipod, heated seats, xenon, cloth seats, sunroof
All still works as new except sunroof which has always stuck.
Cheers,
John

Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
lns1122
3rd Gear
New water pump

My Cooper Clubman 2010 is 23 months old, has 38300 miles, and a new water pump this week. I noticed the coolant was a bit below MIN and thinking that a flush at 2 years of age would be a good thing I took it to my local indy shop. The pH was 8 and when put on the lift they noticed dried coolant that had leaked from the water pump. Still under warranty, next day MINI of Charleston (3 hours from home) had it repaired. They are a superb dealership owned by Rick Hendrick of Charlotte.

The week before I installed new tires and chose the OEM Conti ProContact because its the ride I want, the tread still had a bit to go and the price was right. I used Tire Rack and their recommended installer Tire Kingdom. I do not recommend Tire Kingdom though. I was uneasy about everything they said - I needed the TPMS valve stem kit and the alignment was 'fine' and they charged me more than their pledged price.... long story ...

So, I took it to another indy in the area to have all the work checked. They found no problem with the tire installation and said they too would have advised to have the kit changed. But, the alignment was not 'fine.' All four were off and have now been tuned to spec.

The MINI is in great shape: clean, mpg at 42 hwy/38, no known problems at this point, meets my current vehicle needs precisely at this point. Much better than my '03 MC all around.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jedm3
08 S-146k miles. two timing chain tensioners, plus chain and one guide at 99k. Happily, I bought the extended warranty to 100k, cost me $50.
Otherwise been a great car and total fun to drive.
Details: Clubbie S, bluetooth, ipod, heated seats, xenon, cloth seats, sunroof
All still works as new except sunroof which has always stuck.
Cheers,
John
Wow, you drive a lot. Which warranty did you buy - was it from MINI and if so what was the cost. We have 2 Clubman's and I am debating if I should purchase the XL warranty both of them. The major difference with us is our cars - both 2009's - have less than 30K each so we drive much less than you.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
You have to buy the extended warranty before you hit 50k miles and I was quoted like $2000. Not worth it in my opinion unless you are you are unlucky or drive the car hard.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 AM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
Thanks for the information on the pricing - our cars are at about 25K and 29K so we are still well under the 50K cut-off. My fear is mostly the water pump, turbo and "death rattle" fall out. The little 1.6L engine is being stressed pretty hard given it's output. We live in the Boston area and the cars are both garaged - however my daughter is heading off to Syracuse for college in the fall so she will be living out doors for the next 4 years.

Neither my daughter nor I are too hard on a car but it doesn't take too much bad luck to surpass the cost of the extended warranty. In the past when I have purchased an extended warranty it has been a loosing bet for me but I want to ask the question and make a conscience decision one way or the other.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
It isn't the most by far, but my Clubman was one year old yesterday; 31148 miles. One recall and one thermostat and no complaints.

Quick Reply: R55 Who has the most miles on the Clubman, and how are they holding up?