R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 If you ordered again what would you change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009 | 07:53 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by veg1515
If I am not into speed so much should I even consider a JCW?
No.

Save the $$$ and buy the bits you like.

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:03 AM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
Do you feel the same way about lsd?

I already have dsc spec's was thinking of adding the lsd as well.

Old 03-26-2009 | 03:22 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
My JCW is all loaded up. The one thing it doesn't have besides HD Radio and PDC that I would have liked is the NAV. I would have really liked to have had that with the build. I am spoiled and NEED all the other stuff.

BTW Xenons are a must the halogen headlights are horrible.

Old 03-26-2009 | 03:24 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2

BTW Xenons are a must the halogen headlights are horrible.

I disagree. I find the Halogen lights to be more than adequate. Sure, there's no HIDs or even halogens with projectors, but they're not "horrible" by any means.

That said, I would likely get the Xenons if I could do it again.

Old 03-26-2009 | 04:47 PM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
Xenons are a must I had them on my gen1 Mini .

I am curious why when you add the sport pack they will not let you add the black S-lites even though they are the same price as the 5 stars

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:19 PM
mccsab
3rd Gear
I have about 3,000 miles on my Clubman; so far I'm not feeling like I am missing anything or would change anything.

I guess I am an outcast here, but I just finished having a loaner for a week without a number of "GOODIES" that I have in my Clubman, and here is what I can tell you that I am so glad I included:

1. HIFI Speakers; there is definitely an upgrade from the standard. I am not saying that taking the $500.00 and doing the upgrade yourself would not yield better sounds, but the difference was huge for me.

2. Bluetooth with MFSW is awesome. You may not think it's great until you drive a MINI without it; BIG DIFFERENCE.

3. Auto A/C; definitely better than the standard.

So for those who are questioning the upgrades; borrow a MINI without them and see how it goes......

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:07 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Do you feel the same way about lsd?
OKAY! Say that out loud to yourself.

(misplaced acronym alert...)

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:16 PM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
So your saying I should just try it once I will like it

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:58 PM
shadyyu
2nd Gear
I will skip the useless strips, and get automatic instead of manual. My wife doesn't know how to drive manual "yet". I felt kinda selfish insisting on manual. I know she loves clubbie as much as me. And I bet y'al know the feel you can only ride in a clubbie, but can't drive one.......

Old 03-26-2009 | 11:07 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Colour, Color, Colour!
I've had my Clubman for 10 months and 14 days and still don't know what color I really want.
I go back to the MiniUSA.com configurator and design different Clubman every week!

Old 03-27-2009 | 06:11 PM
dkamp
3rd Gear
My Justa is a smidgen over a year old and the only thing I would change is different tires. The runflat All Season's seem kinda Noisy. I don't think I could do without the Convienience Pkg or Blue tooth Or iPod interface, the xeons are awsome.
I am Extreamly Happy and Still totaly convinced this is an awsome car and I made the right choice!

Old 03-27-2009 | 06:24 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Although i didn't order my Clubman,having the sunroof was not a show stopper,but i wouldn't order one with a sunroof.Q

Old 03-28-2009 | 07:55 AM
drmaryc
1st Gear
Love our BRG/Black

We got the racing stripes for fun - no regrets.

I might have choosen something other than the "checkerboard" interior. We were set to do wood, then lost confidence in the wood colored plastic.

I warmed up to the Nav, now wouldn't be without it. ipod/Bluetooth is worth it. Rain sensing wipers maybe next time, but you end up with three speeds without it, so maybe that's enough.

Great car!

Old 03-28-2009 | 07:56 AM
drmaryc
1st Gear
And the sunroof - forgot that - priceless!

Old 03-28-2009 | 08:32 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
I think I would get the Auto Climate Control ... everything else I am happy with.

Old 03-28-2009 | 09:00 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I am going to order a Clubman S with
Premium
Sport(or sport-17" wheels, I am nervous about the weight of the factory ones)
Cold
Comfort-convenience
Nav

I am just looking for things people might regret from there order

What changes would you make or what add-ons are you happy you made

Would it be okay if I commented upon your order and offered my advice based upon my experiences with my Clubbie S?

Unless you live in an area where the roads are in very good shape and border on glass-smooth, I would recommend against going with the 17" wheels/tires. This requires a pretty low aspect ratio tire, I think they're 45s, right? I have the 16" spoke wheels with Conti runflats with a 55 aspect ratio - supposedly the best-riding of the runflats. I also live in the Washington, DC area and they have let the roads around here deteriorate to an alarming degree.

My setup is right on the edge of tolerable. I LOVE the fact that the runflats have the very stiff sidewall - this provides for exceptionally fast and stable "turn-in" - the car goes where I point it, RIGHT NOW! However, I am constantly dodging potholes, ruts, and poorly installed manhole covers. Failure to do so results in a pretty severe jolt to the suspension and me.

And I am NO sissy when it comes to handling bumps and such - I used to race motocross bikes and I still ride a blinged-out Bandit 1200 with a hotted-up suspension on the street. Still, I have to think that a 45 aspect ratio tire would ride like a rock. Especially if it is a runflat tire. A non-runflat "might" be tolerable, but I bet you'd have to give up a fair amount of laser-quick responsiveness (turn-in) by going that way.

However, if you are going to autocross the car and run it at track days, the 45s would probably be the way to go. But, frankly, I think I would use 16" 55s for day-to-day use and get a set of 17" wheels with 40s or 45s for track days and such. This would give you the best of both worlds. And you can find setups like this for way less than $1,000 right here on this site in the Classifieds. Think about it....

Next, I would definitely go with the Cold Weather Package. It's one of the true bargains that Mini offers. I dearly love my heated seats and the clever folding side mirrors are a nice touch, very useful for the increasingly narrow parking spots that are being installed nowadays. Frankly, I don't know how folks who have SUVs and such get in and out of their vehicles at the mall - maybe they go thu the sunroof or do it NASCAR style!!

As good a deal as the Cold Weather Pkg. is, the Nav system is a very expensive joke. If you're totally well-off and $2k means nothing to you, what the hell - go for it. But if you live within any kind of normal human budget, the Nav system is way over-priced for what it offers. I would skip that, install really nice speakers in place of the stock ones (about $500-$800), and get myself a nice $600 Garmin for Nav duties. This would save you $600 - $900 and you would have better sound AND better GPS capabilities.

You should also get the iPod/Bluetooth option if you use either of those devices on a regular basis. Is this included in the Premium Package?

My Bluetooth Blackberry (company-provided, w00t!) works quite well. And it keeps me from being one of those *********s who drives around weaving about in my lane because I'm trying to punch in a phone number while navigating thru Beltway traffic.

The iPod piece is very cool because it lets me use a $25 USB stick to house my music. If it's stolen or lost, I'm not out $300+ that the iPod costs. And I can control my musical navigation right from my MFSW steering wheel. Mini did this part really well, good on 'em!

I do not have the Premium Pkg., no auto AC and I cannot comment on that aspect. But, I love my dual sunroofs, I wouldn't want to have a Clubbie without them. It opens up the interior and makes it feel even more spacious than it already is. And this is important to me because I'm a big guy (6'2", 220lbs.) and I don't want to feel like I'm sitting up way high as though I'm in an SUV. I've found that headroom is absolutely NOT an issue, and I do not have the seat all the way down - I'm two clicks up from the bottom.

The Comfort-Convenience Package is over-priced, IMHO. I would simply get the iPod/USB I mentioned above and save $750. I don't need rain-sensing, I know when it's raining and I'd rather determine when the wipers are engaged. Plus, I use Rain-X, the wipers are only for severe conditions or the occasional splash from other cars. I DO like auto-dimming rearview mirrors, but they didn't include a compass like my Mom's Infiniti has, so I could pass on that without too much heartache. Everybody already has a garage door opener with a tiny remote control, this is un-necessary IMHO.

I'd pocket the $750 or spend $500 of it on the DTC. I find the DTC to be quite well-engineered and un-obtrusive. If I manage to get myslef stuck in a snowy ditch, I can always dis-engage it to get out. So far, I leave it on 95% of the time, it works very well hand-in-hand with the Sport button.

Definitely get the MFSW steering wheel, that's a well-spent $250. Works great with the hands-free Bluetooth phone and my $25 USB stick.

I bought my car used, it had 3500 mi. on it. The guy who originally optioned it really did a good job. He got ALL the stuff I would have gotten and none of the over-priced stuff that I would have passed on. The only thing that I do wish it had is the Xenon lamps. But I have been able to significantly mitigate that by installing Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. They are noticeably brighter than the stock bulbs, cost me $40, and 5 minutes to install.

I am quite satisfied with the stock audio system, but I may replace the speakers with after-market ones if I can find some that offer a little deeper bass response and higher sensitivity. But the way it is right now ain't too shabby and I could easily live with it. And I have a $20K home system if I REALLY need superior sound sometime in my day

Good luck, I hope this helps you in making your final optioning decisions...

Old 03-28-2009 | 12:11 PM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
Thanks for the advice!
For me the 16" wheels are out for a few reasons
1. I think they look to small on the car(my wife has 18's on her GTI and I am used to that look)
2.The choices Mini has for 16" wheels are HORRIBLE they look like they should be on a PT cruiser

I am going to get the 18" JCW Wheels in black unless I get talked out of it.(In Austin we have relatively good streets so potholes are not a factor)
I will order the car with the 16" Black wheels and sell them when the car shows up

My build is this
1.premium
2.Cold weather(dont need it I live in Texas but might as well)
3.Comfort con.
4.nav(can't stand the large Speedo, what was Mini thinking here?)
5.DTC and Xenons
6.rear fog(just for the extra switch up front)

Possible add-ons
LSD

Color
BRG or Chili Red still undecided

Sound
Factory from order then I will install
Focal Utopia Be Kit no 6 (front speakers) www.focal-america.com
No rear speakers
Focal Utopia 8" Sub
Steg Amp www.steg-america.com

My sound system will be top notch as thats what is most important to me
I worked in the Audio industry for over a decade so it's real hard for me to cut corners in this department.

I have some really nice equipment at home as well. Tube amps are my favorite.

Old 03-28-2009 | 03:48 PM
cburton
Neutral
I'd skip on the sunroof, if you are concerned about quality sound, it doesn't matter what sound system you add, you can't overcome the wind noise from the roof. I have the BRG and when it is cleaned up it really turns heads. The metallic paint seems to hide the dirt I think. Good Luck. Chrome it out and add the rear fogs and the xenon's

Old 03-29-2009 | 05:15 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
You don't need to have the sunroof open to enjoy it. And I find that my car is reasonably quiet (for a car) when the sunroof is closed. I like the fact that it allows in additional light and brightens up the interior.

It is true that when the sunroof is open the noise level rises noticeably, especially at highway speeds. But if you're just cruising on secondary roads it isn't that loud and the sound system can still be quite enjoyable.

I worked in the audio industry for 3 years and I, too, have a pretty sweet home system. It includes a 5-channel tube amp and very good speakers. In addition, I've also spent some time and money installing acoustic treatments for the room. Equipment is only half the game. The acoustic environment and your source materials are exceedingly important, too.

Therefore, I've never been that interested in putting a bunch of money into a car system because the environment is not well-suited to it, too much noise and other distractions to make it worthwhile, IMHO. As long as the sound system is "good" I'm happy. I guess if I had a really quiet car like a limousine or something similar, I'd feel differently about it. But the Mini is certainly not a temple of silence by any measure.

But, to each his own, as they say...

Last edited by rlw; 03-29-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2009 | 06:06 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
I'd skip the 17" wheels because of the ride and they pick up curb rash very easily - 16's are better. Also, I'd skip the cold weather package (even in Chicago) - the heated seats in my MCS get so hot that they are literally unbearbale after just a few minutes. The dealer can do nothing.

Old 03-30-2009 | 09:31 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
>>Also, I'd skip the cold weather package (even in Chicago) - the heated seats in my MCS get so hot that they are literally unbearbale after just a few minutes. The dealer can do nothing.<<

That may not be true. I read on this forum that Mini has a $13 cable that either replaces or is placed in-line with the existing seat-heating cable. This one is supposed to dramatically lower the temperatures of the 3 settings.

My seats also get very hot, sometimes, even on the lowest setting. Search this form for more info. or let your Mini dealer know that a solution to the problem DOES exist...

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009 | 11:58 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
FYI, I found a message on this site that has a link for a TSB about this problem:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-too-warm.html

Look thru there and find the link for a PDF of the TSB Mini issued for this very problem. I have a copy if you cannot find it...

Old 03-31-2009 | 02:51 PM
Otra
6th Gear
You know, I can't think of anything I'd change if I were to order again and was not concerned about $$. Well, I would probably go for the Horizon Blue, if it's as beautiful as I think it is.

The extras I have (besides the color) are the exterior chrome (bumper nubs in the back, front "bone" and its surround, mirror caps) - OK I could live without these for sure but I do like them. I also have xenons, rear fog, cold weather package (which I love - now where is that heated steering wheel? ), and I did shell out for the Bluetooth/iPod connection which I like but certainly didn't need so I might not go for it again as it is expensive. And, of course, I love my factory installed roof rails which I would 100% sure order again.

Old 04-22-2009 | 04:52 AM
brocky
I'm happy with the horizon blue MCS that I just bought. Comes with the aero kit, sports package, and Hi-Fi. I love to take sharp turns and have that 2 second joy of just feeling the rubber screeching against the road. With that said, I wish I added an LSD as well as a MFSW. I'm glad I didnt get the sunroof or the navi. My garmin nuvi 760 is excellent enough

Getting a MCS was the best choice I've made since I moved on from a pc to a Mac 5 years ago

Old 04-22-2009 | 10:36 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
I just re-read the title of this thread. What would I change? My MA.

Quick Reply: R55 If you ordered again what would you change?