R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 If you ordered again what would you change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009 | 06:20 AM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
If you ordered again what would you change?

I am going to order a Clubman S with
Premium
Sport(or sport-17" wheels, I am nervous about the weight of the factory ones)
Cold
Comfort-convenience
Nav

I am just looking for things people might regret from there order

What changes would you make or what add-ons are you happy you made

Old 03-25-2009 | 06:51 AM
freez3
4th Gear
From: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Cold package is a must.
NAV ??? can't justify the $ when I can read a map.

Old 03-25-2009 | 07:00 AM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
I am with you I just really hate the large cartoon like gauge , without the nav I would not buy the car.
The first Mini I had 2002 the speedo was more tolerable

I think the interior has taken a turn for the worse

I wish they would take some styling from the Rover Coopers interior

I am getting the leatherette seats in Texas and for the $500 the cold package is a deal even if i don't use but 2 days a year

Old 03-25-2009 | 07:20 AM
freez3
4th Gear
From: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I agree about the large speedo.
Regretfully, in northern Ohio, we use the heated seats for about 6 months.

Old 03-25-2009 | 08:32 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
IMHO the Nav Looks Worse than the large Speedo but to everyone their own thoughts.

I regret not getting the rear fog light. The missing switch drive me crazy.

I also regret paying for the down grade to the HiFi system. THe "upgrade" which it is not is $500 and defenately not justified.

Old 03-25-2009 | 08:43 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
I would add the sunroof and the HID. Might as well upgrade to an S, while I'm at it (I don't regret the Justa. But I sometimes wish for a little more Za-Zoum on hilly terrain). Everything else, I'm totally satisfied with.

Old 03-25-2009 | 09:03 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
I actually had the chance to reorder a new mini after my first one was bought back for an airbag issue.

I basically ordered the same: MCS, manual, xenons, hifi, bluetooth/ipod, and white turn signals. But the second time I added the premium package. I love, love, love, the sunroof and auto AC. I had the sunroof tinted to 15% so I get the sunlight without the the heat and the UV rays. Love it and I use it every day. The auto AC is very nice as well. It's intuitive to keep the interior at just the right temperature without blowing hot/cold air until the system is ready.

The only must have in my opinion are the xenons. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Old 03-25-2009 | 09:10 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I'd get a brighter color.

Old 03-25-2009 | 09:55 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Less is more for me.

Old 03-25-2009 | 10:15 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by schatzy62
IMHO the Nav Looks Worse than the large Speedo but to everyone their own thoughts.

I regret not getting the rear fog light. The missing switch drive me crazy.

I also regret paying for the down grade to the HiFi system. THe "upgrade" which it is not is $500 and defenately not justified.
So you are saying the "Hi Fi" is not as good as the stock radio? Have you listened to both? Does anybody know the differences in the "Bluetooth~handsfree" systems that come in the car? We are going to a dealer this Friday to either get a in-stock car or possible order a MCS. Wish us luck BTW, this will be adding to my MCS not replacing it, the wife wants one now

Old 03-25-2009 | 10:28 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
The Hi Fi system is crap. For $500 you can get a better set of speakers and get better sound than the Hi Fi.

On mine, I really wish I had gotten the black bridge-spokes (but they didn't offer them when I ordered).

Old 03-25-2009 | 10:29 AM
dvhone
3rd Gear
I wasn't going to get the sun roof, the travel package (flat loading floor), nor the Anthracite but I'm really happy with all of those "extras"; especially the sun roof (my wife's idea).

I wanted the power fold mirrors, but they aren't avaible up here so I couldn't get them...but if they were avaiable to me, I don't really think I'd get them now if I could do it again.

I thought about the NAV, but for the money it just wasn't worth it to me; plus you can't update it to keep up with tech changes in the future like you could with a seperate unit for a fraction of the price (IMHO).

While I really like the Comfort access, I could do without it if I really had to...No, wait, I can't go back to fumbling for my keys!

Guess I have no regrets about my choices...good luck with yours.

Last edited by dvhone; 03-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2009 | 10:47 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Less is more for me.
I'm with ClubmanS. I optioned it up pretty good, but the only thing I sort of regret is not getting the Xenons. But, I didn't want the replacement cost of the Xenon lamps, or the complexity of the auto aiming system. The convenience package (auto lights, wipers, keyless access) was a pleasant surprise; I got it because I wanted the mirror GDO. I didn't want to pay MINI's price for the upgrade to 16" wheels, so I waited and scored a nice set used. MPGs are a little down after the swap, but at least with the Continental runflats the ride didn't change much. The Goodyears were brutal. IMO the Nav system is grotesquely overpriced. A state of the art Garmin is much less, is portable, and much more easily kept up to date. YMMV.

Old 03-25-2009 | 10:51 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
My company provides me with a free Blackberry with Bluetooth (w00t!) and it works quite well with the Clubbie. I didn't order mine but I only miss the Xenons. I did partially mitigate that by going with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

I have the stock audio system and it works fine. If I want to upgrade it, I'll simply buy some killer speakers with stock dimensions and better sensitivity and I'm done!

Old 03-25-2009 | 10:55 AM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
The Hi Fi system is crap. For $500 you can get a better set of speakers and get better sound than the Hi Fi.
Agreed but I like the extra speakers and that makes it a wash in the end, but the hi fi isn't something I'm crazy about.

I'd get Elphie without a sunroof - so I'd order everything from last years premium package minus the sunroof. AND I'd think about getting an all black MINI instead of the PW/Blk. I love PW/Blk, but black on black with the black c pillars would be nice. If I did that I'd probably switch to the black wheels as well.

Old 03-25-2009 | 11:34 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
The Hi Fi system is crap.
"Crap" is hyperbole. It's certainly better than the base hi-fi Ive heard in the loaners (but not as good as the 1st gen H-K).

the only thing Id change about mine is order the Bluetooth/USB, and maybe white turn signals. Otherwise perfect.

Old 03-25-2009 | 11:57 AM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
So you have helped me I will be adding the fog lights , I would not be able to stand having a missing piece on my dash.

I am torn on two things , pay the $750 for the heavy S-lites in black or go aftermarket and have my car look like a teenagers car(no offense to the teenagers here)

Brg on Black or
Chile red on black

I was leaning toward BRG until I was informed that dark color will get dirty easily which is the same reason I hate Black cars.

Old 03-25-2009 | 01:13 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Have you checked out the Wheels Thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...el-thread.html

Old 03-25-2009 | 01:25 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Few things to keep in mind when I order my next MINI:

- I will likely order a manual, unless a DSG-type system is available. Not that I don't love the auto with the paddle shifters, but I'd love to have the involvement that a manual merits.

- I will also likely order the Nav system as well. I don't miss it much, but it's a simple matter of "if you're gonna go it, do it!". It's something that may come in handy, and I also think it looks nicer.

- Anthracite headliner. Looks a lot sportier and nicer than the gray, to me. I like it to be nice and dark inside. Although I'm glad I have the sunroof.

- Likely would order a JCW. The JCW Clubman wasn't available when I ordered mine, and had it been, I probably couldn't have afforded it. That being said, I drove one recently and fell in love. My next MINI will be a JCW, or at the very least, I will be getting the JCW tuning kit for my Clubman S.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I absolutely love my Clubman, and don't have any real regrets, just some thoughts about when I go ordering my next MINI (2011 maybe).

Old 03-25-2009 | 01:37 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
I'd spec the rain-sensing wipers and non-run-flats. I'd also take my time to look at the interior options more carefully...

Old 03-25-2009 | 03:40 PM
bryan cook
1st Gear
live and live without

couldn't live without: leather, sunroof, roof rack crossbars, chrome line int/ext

could love without: upgraded audio system. i make my living mixing music and i listened to both, heard no difference but paid for the hifi because i figured the MA didn't know what they were talking about. i literally heard no difference. and still think the hifi system is just "ok"

Old 03-25-2009 | 04:08 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Dark green on black would look super nice. My MINI is BRG, and I love how 'almost black' it appears. Not such a pain to clean, really.

Old 03-25-2009 | 04:12 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Mine was pretty loaded up, "S", sunroof(s), HiFi, Bluetooth, Zenons, white signals,heated seats. etc.. Happy I got it all.

Might order NAV if I did it over but not for NAV function but to get a better phone/iPod interface. The current interface is very frustrating if you've a lot of contacts on your phone and/or a music library bigger than a couple Gigs. Heard that the NAV interface solves lots of these problems (true?).

Old 03-25-2009 | 04:40 PM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
The only option I reget not getting is the JCW. Next time for sure!

Old 03-25-2009 | 05:41 PM
veg1515
|
3rd Gear
If I am not into speed so much should I even consider a JCW?

So far the only reason I have found is for the cool rims and the badges

Quick Reply: R55 If you ordered again what would you change?