R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Window gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009 | 09:53 AM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Window gremlins

So every so often when I try to close my driver side window…it will go up 1 inch and then go down 3 inches. I’ll flick the switch again and it’ll go up 1 inch and go down another 3 inches…it’ll do this until I reach all the way to the bottom. Note, there’s nothing blocking the upward movement of the window. Anyhow I let this go for a while.

Then a couple days ago, I began to notice that my passenger side window would always be open by about an inch when I got in the car in the morning. I would close it and then as I drive, I begin to hear the hissing of an incomplete seal on the passenger side window, like the window is coming down very, very slowly.

Has anyone experienced this?

I’m bringing it into Mountain View MINI today so they can take a look at it. Will keep you posted.

Old 03-31-2009 | 01:50 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
I experienced this. They had to reprogram the whole car. Took 8 hours. I got a 3 series loaner out of it. It's only been a week so I can't say whether it's fixed or not.

Old 03-31-2009 | 03:00 PM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
I experienced this. They had to reprogram the whole car. Took 8 hours. I got a 3 series loaner out of it. It's only been a week so I can't say whether it's fixed or not.
So I took the car in and they said about 10-15% of Clubmans have this. They'll be keeping it over night and gave me an Enterprise rental Mazda 6 (although I would've preferred a 3 series!)

Old 03-31-2009 | 06:17 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Mine does this but I am not getting it fixed. I like it. It makes me feel like a ghost of a toddler is riding with me pressing the button every two seconds.

Old 03-31-2009 | 08:42 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
Mine does this but I am not getting it fixed. I like it. It makes me feel like a ghost of a toddler is riding with me pressing the button every two seconds.
You say that until it rains as your window is a bit open and you come back to find more problems than just a funky window!

Old 04-01-2009 | 09:45 AM
steinkrieg
1st Gear
I had this same issue... I informed the local dealer of the issue, and they instantly said, "come on in... we have seen this several times. It will take about 45 minutes to fix". It has something to do with the computer. They re-initialized the system, and it is now working just fine.

Old 04-01-2009 | 12:32 PM
Seedyman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by steinkrieg
I had this same issue... I informed the local dealer of the issue, and they instantly said, "come on in... we have seen this several times. It will take about 45 minutes to fix". It has something to do with the computer. They re-initialized the system, and it is now working just fine.
The service guy at the place I bought mine said that kind of thing almost always happens if you get your windows tinted, it appears the tolerances for window thickness are very sensitive, and that just the added thickness of the window film will make it think there is something stuck in the window.

Old 04-01-2009 | 12:47 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Many people have this and do not have tinted windows.

Some are able to fix it by Holding the window button in the down position for 15 seconds after the window has stopped and then holding it int eh up position for 15 seconds after the window has stopped. This is the first type of reinitialization that a dealer does as it resets the window limit switches. If that does not clear the problem then they have to go into the computer and reinitialize the programing.

As for a thickness issue, IMHO i doubt it. There are no window thickness sensors. Now if it caused drag on the rubber gasket because it is not as slippery as the glass then that may be an issue but if the pressure sensor is that sensitive then MINI really needs to do something about it as my windows get dirty and stick to the gasket more readily especially when it gets icy out.

Old 04-01-2009 | 05:44 PM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
We had this happen about 2months ago with our Clubbie, passenger side window only. Did the same thing as OP mentioned. We wanted it fixed for the obvious, but also because the window was no longer dropping and raising when the door was opened. Took it back to dealer, had to do the reinitialization. I think it was on the computer for about 8hrs, we had to leave it overnight. Got a loaner, Clubbie is fixed now. Hasn't happened again. Our windows are not tinted, btw.

Old 04-01-2009 | 11:16 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear

Old 04-02-2009 | 02:36 PM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Grrr, so the dealership tells me my car is ready today and I excitedly drive down to pick up my baby. The first thing I do upon getting back into my car? Check the windows...wouldn't you know it, the same problem!...window goes up a fraction, then goes down a few inches...so I let the manager know...he says it's something about some module being "too sensitive," so he's going to order me another module. Sheeesh, at least this time I got a 3 series loaner.

Last edited by Parkerton; 04-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2009 | 02:50 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
Grrr, so the dealership tells me my car is ready today and I excitedly drive down to pick up my baby. The first thing I do upon getting back into my car? Check the windows...wouldn't you know it, it's still go the same problem...go up a fraction, go down a few inches...so I let the manager know...he says it's something about some module being "too sensitive," so he's going to order me another module. Sheeesh, at least this time I got a 3 series loaner.
I took so much advantage of that. I was driving around all the time, even picking my friends up to work "in my new BMW".

I called my parents while I was driving to ask "how the little people are doing"

Old 04-02-2009 | 02:53 PM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
I took so much advantage of that. I was driving around all the time, even picking my friends up to work "in my new BMW".

I called my parents while I was driving to ask "how the little people are doing"

Gosh, if I didn't have this thing called "integrity," I would think this would be a nice weekend to take a 300 mile drive down to Disneyland for the weekend!

Mine has Nav and real time traffic which is neat, too bad it's all powered by that dreaded iDrive. Oh well, I'm not complaining = P

Old 04-02-2009 | 06:53 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
Gosh, if I didn't have this thing called "integrity," I would think this would be a nice weekend to take a 300 mile drive down to Disneyland for the weekend!

Mine has Nav and real time traffic which is neat, too bad it's all powered by that dreaded iDrive. Oh well, I'm not complaining = P
Integrity? Its "your car" while "your car" is being worked on. There's nothing wrong with driving a loaner anywhere you would normally drive it. If I had a trip planned, I would take the loaner if my car was in the shop no questions asked, and I have, and they told me to.

Old 04-25-2009 | 04:40 PM
whoward
Neutral
window issues

I've had persistent window gremlins with my 2008 Clubman. Both sides go up jerkily, reach the top of the track and open again. If you fiddle you can get them to close.

Spent 8 hours at the dealer. They reinitialized the software. I, finally, got in the car to leave, the window warning light came on. Luckily, it was their late service night.

They fiddled with the car for another 1.5 hrs. It seemed ok. I drove one mile, stopped for a sandwich, came out and the driver's window was all the way down. I went back, again. The only thing they could think to do was to disconnect the motor on the driver's side. Big pain! The passenger's side is now OK

Now I have to go back (80 miles) to the dealer for another full day so they can replace the wiring harness in the door. They claim there will be a software fix in June.

Blech!

Bill h.

Old 04-25-2009 | 11:11 PM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Integrity? Its "your car" while "your car" is being worked on. There's nothing wrong with driving a loaner anywhere you would normally drive it. If I had a trip planned, I would take the loaner if my car was in the shop no questions asked, and I have, and they told me to.
Oh, I completely agree. However, I hadn't planned a 300 mile drive to Disneyland.

Old 04-25-2009 | 11:14 PM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whoward
I've had persistent window gremlins with my 2008 Clubman. Both sides go up jerkily, reach the top of the track and open again. If you fiddle you can get them to close.

Spent 8 hours at the dealer. They reinitialized the software. I, finally, got in the car to leave, the window warning light came on. Luckily, it was their late service night.

They fiddled with the car for another 1.5 hrs. It seemed ok. I drove one mile, stopped for a sandwich, came out and the driver's window was all the way down. I went back, again. The only thing they could think to do was to disconnect the motor on the driver's side. Big pain! The passenger's side is now OK

Now I have to go back (80 miles) to the dealer for another full day so they can replace the wiring harness in the door. They claim there will be a software fix in June.

Blech!

Bill h.
Oh boy, so sorry you had to stay at the dealership all this time and it's still not fixed. Yeah, even though I had been to the dealer a couple times for this and had thought everything was all fixed...just yesterday, I flick the switch for the window to go up and all of a sudden, it goes down again. Oh well, I'm beginning to think I'll just have to live with the occasional gremlin cause it's too much hassle to constantly go to the dealership and frankly not knowing whether they're able to truly fix this.

Old 04-26-2009 | 06:09 AM
joshpuetz
1st Gear
I've had this problem on my 2009 clubbie's passenger side door. Window goes down an inch when opened, but doesn't got back up when closed. Holding the windows switch down for 15-20 seconds followed by holding it up for 15-20 seconds usually fixes it for me...at least for a few weeks. My dealer ship is 90 minutes away, so I haven't bothered to bring it in for a fix yet.

I just chalk it up to having a car made in England. My SO and I joke about the "fine British engineering" I'm enjoying (I know it's German, but still). I mean, come on: it's assembled in a country famous for drinking! I kind of like that my clubbie is a little quirky.

Now if my rear club door opens while I'm driving (as I've read has happened to several other owners), I reserve to right to invoke ugly American entitlement