R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 09 Clubman issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Tempo House
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Clubman issues?

My new '09 Clubman is exhibiting two of the usual symptoms: beads of water in the third brake light and a boot door that pops open once in a while (including once right after I washed it). Dealer says the service bulletin on the boot door handle doesn't extend to cars made as recently as mine (mid-January), as MINI is supposed to have fixed this problem before my build.

I've also read here that moisture in the third brake light usually occurs on S models with the white lights, not on cars like mine with the red brake light.

So, just curious if anyone else with a build after the first of the year is experiencing the boot door problem too and if anyone with the justa clubman and red brake light is also having the condensation problem.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Clubman issues?-brakelight.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
My input is probably of little benefit since I just picked up my MINI on Monday, 3/30. Only rain it has seen was coming home from work today. So far....out of the dealer and using a checklist, it was perfect. Build w/all options correct, fit and finish and all controls operating, etc correct. No deficiencies.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Obviously, you have a warranty related problem. I am surprised that the dealer didn't correct the problems, with or without a service bulletin.
I had condensation in my third brake light and my driver side rear door wouldn't open due to moisture intrusion. My Clubman-S was built in September 2008, so it falls into the build group that the service bulletin addresses. Mine was fixed before the bulletin was issued and without question.
I think you need to talk to the service manager and the sales manager. There is no excuse for not correcting a problem on a new vehicle!
I hope you get a fast and satisfactory resolution to the problems.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Tempo House
1st Gear
I'll be bringing the car in to the dealer next week. I don't think there will be a problem getting it fixed, I was mostly curious to see if other recently built cars had the supposedly fixed problem.

When I picked the car up, three weeks ago, everything checked out fine to my eye, but the dealer insisted on replacing the rear center cupholder which had a tiny nick in it that I hadn't caught. I wouldn't have bothered to replace it, I don't think, if I had noticed it, it was so insignificant. So my dealer experience hasn't been terrible so far.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The barn door opening should have been fixed but it is all up to the guy/gal that is doing the wiring harness and how well they did in getting it water proofed. If they did a bad job it could still be a problem.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
I also had condensation in my third light when I picked up my car from the dealer (didn't notice until I got home, 250 miles later). Anyway, it dried out and it hasn't returned.

As for the boot opening by itself, I've read about this in other threads. One thought is that the wiring/latch mechanism gets wet when washed. I've kept mine dry by hand drying the car, including the hatch door latches, and haven't had a problem, yet.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
the3rdgemini
1st Gear
Only problem I'm having is my sunroof got a little stuck today due to the heat and my key fob trunk button doesn't pop open the boot door like it's supposed to. I'm going to take it back to the dealer when I have time and have them fix the door issue... I'm not sure there's anything to be done about the sunroof yet unless it becomes a reoccurring problem.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Had mine replaced under warranty. No problems now. Had lots of water in the 3rd brake light. They have to remove the gutter system to get to it so check that they aligned that properly before closing it all up. I found that it was easy to just pop off the rain gutter and realign it myself but they really should have caught that one! The rain gutter pieces fit one into the other like a toy track on a train set. Mine were completely not connected and off by about an inch!!! Pretty visible.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 AM
mccsab
3rd Gear
Temp House.

Moisture in the rear light is common; the dealer should replace that right away as you don't want water stuck in there. I got mine fixed a month ago and so far so good! I would get that resolved right away.

Regarding the popping door; it was my understanding that the [recent] 09's should have a fix on this. Again, your dealer needs to get this fixed ASAP.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 AM
mccsab
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by n733lk
I also had condensation in my third light when I picked up my car from the dealer (didn't notice until I got home, 250 miles later). Anyway, it dried out and it hasn't returned.

As for the boot opening by itself, I've read about this in other threads. One thought is that the wiring/latch mechanism gets wet when washed. I've kept mine dry by hand drying the car, including the hatch door latches, and haven't had a problem, yet.
n733ik,

I was told by my MA that any condensation shows a leak and although you have not seen anymore since then, do not wait until it happens again. They replaced mine and its been dry as a bone, even with the recent heavy rainny days we have been having since it was replaced.

Push your dealer to fix this now.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
driverphil
3rd Gear
The odd thing is that MINIs come from a country where rain and moisture are common. Our 2004 MCa had moisture in the 3rd eye, and our 2008 MCa had moisture in the brake light housing.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driverphil, considering your comment about rain in London I couldn't help but mention MY ironic trip to London in 2003. I was kinda living in Switzerland at the time so I'm no stranger to cold places. Zurich was frrrreeezing so I though that would prep me for London. One thing I hate about places like Switzerland, major cities are dead on weekends. I mean, it's a ghost town on Sundays. My dad told me to get out and go to Amsterdam or London for X-mas so it's off I go! London was WAAAYY colder! First time in my whole life: I caught the flu! The entire time, I was stunned by how cold it was and thought: if it rains, I'm a goner! I enjoyed it but also kept looking up in fear of rain. Fortunately, it didn't happen but the terror was enough to make me question my sanity! If I ever wind up in London again, I'll go in the summer, no exceptions! BTW, my quick excursion to London ruined the rest of my vacation: I spent the rest of my two-week vacation stuck in my parents' house fighting the flu before flying back to the States. It was no fun. Oh well, at least India and Pakistan kept me entertained with their cricket matches on TV. Cricket isn't a sport to them, it's WWIII!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:10 AM
sdmeyer
1st Gear
For what it's worth: I also have a non-S model where the condensation was building up in the third break light. I took it in for fixing a couple of weeks ago but I already see the problem returning.

Art Ed - Can you explain how you pop the rain gutter off yourself and realign it? I'd like to fix mine myself as MINI can't seem to get the job done right.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My Clubman (November 2009 build) has had condensation in the third brake light for several months. Took it in toi the dealer, they replaced the lamp only (not the rain gutter housing) under warranty. The dealer said they had replaced about 10 of them, and also had the part in stock and ready to install. I'd expect the new lamp is an updated design/build batch and will not have the same problem again.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by driverphil
The odd thing is that MINIs come from a country where rain and moisture are common. Our 2004 MCa had moisture in the 3rd eye, and our 2008 MCa had moisture in the brake light housing.

Unfortunately they're also BUILT in that same country.