R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Extended Decor Rings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:37 PM
macatron
|
Neutral
Extended Decor Rings??

Hello all!! This is my first post, but I've been reading damn near EVERYTHING on this site for about 3 weeks now. I'm currently in the process of building a 2009 Justa Clubman, and I've been able to answer just about all of my questions via the search button. But, one thing keeps eluding me.

While at the dealer, I was sitting in a Mini with these nice aluminum accent rings around all of the speakers and the interior door pull. I asked the salesman, but he didn't really know why some coopers had them and others did.

I've attached a picture of the rings in question, and I've circled them in yellow to clear up any confusion.

One of the builds that my salesman had sent me mentioned "Extended Decor Rings," but there was no explanation with it so I have no idea what exactly those are.

I am planning to get the Brushed Alloy Interior Surface, but from the looks of the online builder that only changes the dash and oval door accents to silver. I'm a HUGE fan of black interior with brushed aluminum (or at least silver colored) accents around gauges and speakers, etc.

Any help would be appreciated tremendously!

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Extended Decor Rings??-silver-speaker-rings-mini-marked-in-yellow-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009 | 01:38 PM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
chrome interior trim option?

Old 05-14-2009 | 02:47 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
First off, welcome!

As mentioned, the shiny rings are included as part of the "Chrome-Line Interior" option. Without it, they will be a matte silver color. I have that chrome option, as well as a black interior and the Brushed Alloy you're considering so feel free to ask any questions you may have about the combo.

A couple things to note: The Brushed Alloy trim comes with an additional piece of brushed metal just in front of the padded armrest on the door which further brightens up the door, IMO. One other point you may not be aware of is the fact that the elliptical door rings ARE NOT Brushed Alloy at all, but merely matte gray/silver plastic. This was a disappointment to us when we first noticed it, but is no longer an issue. The bigger problem is that the matte gray/silver finish mars easily from scratches and smudges, especially from contact with sunscreen and some body lotions. We covered the upper part of ours with 3M Invisible Bra material and have had no further issues. (The unexpected benefit to that is that it adds a gloss finish to the rings which looks better, IMO, much like Fluid Silver.)

Best of Luck with your choices and let us know your final specs. once you've decided!

Old 05-14-2009 | 05:52 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
If you check the MINIUSA build website, they're unclear about whether the speaker trim rings come in chrome when you order the chrome line trim option. It says that you may or may not get chrome trim rings depending upon other option choices. There are a few old threads about this, as some cars came with chrome trim rings on the speakers, and some did not.
My '08 Clubman didn't have the chrome trim rings, but Habberstad MINI ordered and installed them for me at no charge last year, as the build site used to show chrome trim on the speakers as part of the package.

Old 05-14-2009 | 06:21 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
I have not followed the current build packaging but back in 2008, when I build my 09 R55, the Stereo system ordered determined whether the speakers got the rings or not. If I recall correctly the base stereo, and interior Chrome option included speaker rings. The Hi Fi Stereo and Chrome option did not include the speaker rings. Try a more focused 'search' in these forums. It took a while back in 2007 & 2008 for us to figure out the pattern and there was a lot of forum traffic. Of course BMW MINI may have changed the packaging since then. Also - My 2009 R55 with base radio and the interior Chrome does have the speaker rings. ajm

Old 05-15-2009 | 07:20 AM
macatron
|
Neutral
Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Although, it looks like everybody has it pegged that I am looking for the Chrome Line interior. This isn't the case. I'm actually trying to find out about the silver matte finished rings for around the speakers and door pulls (the ones that come on the base model around the speedo, tach, and vents) .

However, through some more searching, it sounds like you get the silver matte finished rings if you upgrade to the Brushed Alloy trim anyway.

Here's another picture to help show what I'm trying to explain. The silver rings around the speakers and the door pulls are the same silver plastic that is used on the steering wheel, and around the speedo, tach and vents.

If somebody could confirm that the Brushed Alloy interior option does, in fact, come with these rings it'd be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks AGAIN!

NOTE: I will be getting the Hi-FI Sound System, so please let me know if this will be an issue to get these rings. If it is, I guess I'll just have to buy them at the dealer and just replace the plain black ones. Anyone possibly know what the part numbers are or where to get them?

Attached Thumbnails Extended Decor Rings??-brushed-alloy-with-silver-rings.jpg  
Old 05-16-2009 | 10:40 AM
Shrashmere
2nd Gear
got your PM macatron, it seems that you want the stock silver trim rings that are on the speaker and door pull trim. on some of the newer '09 minis that trim is in black, am i right? you could clarify by taking a picture of it so we can know what it is you want and have. Unfortunately if you take the door apart and actually look and the way everything is put together, that whole door panel must be replaced because the rings are press-melted on. as well as the large silver oval type thing. If you want the silver rings (not chrome)
you would probably have to order a whole new door panel with the silver trim rings and not the black ones. (I could be wrong but thats what i gather from the way it is put together.)
You could also find someone who wants to swap door panels as well.

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:31 AM
macatron
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by Shrashmere
got your PM macatron, it seems that you want the stock silver trim rings that are on the speaker and door pull trim. on some of the newer '09 minis that trim is in black, am i right? you could clarify by taking a picture of it so we can know what it is you want and have. Unfortunately if you take the door apart and actually look and the way everything is put together, that whole door panel must be replaced because the rings are press-melted on. as well as the large silver oval type thing. If you want the silver rings (not chrome)
you would probably have to order a whole new door panel with the silver trim rings and not the black ones. (I could be wrong but thats what i gather from the way it is put together.)
You could also find someone who wants to swap door panels as well.

Thanks for the quick reply Shrashmere! Yes, you are correct, I am looking to get the stock silver trim rings that are on the door speakers and the door pulls. I thought I'd read somewhere on this forum that the speaker covers (not the rings themselves) were in fact removeable (so you didn't have to replace the entire door cover), but that could have been incorrect. Anyway, I'm attaching another picture of these aforementioned silver rings. This picture was taken at my Mini dealer from one of the showroom cars. Sorry, it's a little bit blurry, but that's because it's cell phone quality. So, with that, please let me know if these particular silver rings can be ordered with my Mini (what package specifically).

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Extended Decor Rings??-aluminum-rings.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009 | 01:49 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
As it stands right now if you order the HiFi option you will get black rings on the speaker grills. the door release lever will have a silver or chrome ring.

Old 05-18-2009 | 02:37 PM
macatron
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by schatzy62
As it stands right now if you order the HiFi option you will get black rings on the speaker grills. the door release lever will have a silver or chrome ring.
Hey thanks! That definately helps clear things up. But do you know for sure if you can just replace the speaker covers with ones that already have the silver rings on them, or does the entire door panel HAVE to be replaced? I understand that the rings themselves are glued on (or stuck on there somehow), but the covers that they are pressed too look like they could be replaced separately from the door panel itself. If that is the case, then I could just simply upgrade to the silver ring covers down the road myself with little issue or cost.

Old 05-23-2009 | 11:52 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
alloy/chromeline/etc

See my gallery and check my interior pics. That's the alloy dash and the chromeline rings, anthracite headliner, no sunroof and leatherette seats. Suits me fine. Try it, you'll like it. The chromeline rings catch the eye and diminish the plastic look (even though the "chrome" rings are actually plastic). I have the upgrade stereo system and the speaker rings are chrome. And despite what some will tell you, reflection off those rings is not an issue.

Last edited by surfblue; 05-23-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: stereo mention
Old 07-16-2009 | 05:46 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
I have replaced my black trim with chrome. It was easy to do the door handle top speaker. The bottom speaker is my issue. I can't get the trim off.

Old 07-18-2009 | 09:47 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
I have the chrome package and upgraded stereo.
There are NO chrome rings on the speakers.
The back seat cup holders are NOT chrome.
Some Dealers have stepped up and installed the chrome in the back or done the work on the speakers...but very few.

GET IT IN WRITING from your dealer and make em follow it.<--free advice, worth the cost.