R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Yet another 2009 Clubman S Owner! Horizon Blue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009 | 09:47 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Yet another 2009 Clubman S Owner! Horizon Blue!

Hi Everyone....

Well we bit the bullet and after chatting with the dealership this afternoon (and the wife saying Yes!) we are off to pick it up at 10:00!

While not the "ideal" build for us, missing the rear fog light, everything else is perfect. My wife was toying with the Automatic but has no issues with a stick and there you have it!

Several folks helped in the process and thank you all here at NAM for the information and assistance! I will be frequenting here more and more.....as if I hadn't been already this past week and a half!

She will be detailed in the AM and we will pay for her and take her away. My wife hasn't named her yet....it will take some time before she "breaks her in".

Here are a couple of quick shots off of the lot this afternoon:

I will take some more shots over the weekend, and after she gets her complimentary tinting job on Monday!!!! (to include the sunroofs ).

Was a pleasure working with our dealership and we feel like we got a fairly good deal on the whole thing. The best part of it is that there is NO wait for this car. We looked at building one and the wait is about 2 to 2.5 months....this way we can enjoy it right away!!!!

Again thanks for all the help here! YOU ALL ARE AWESOME!

PS...sorry for the picture quality, I am by no means a photographer and with the sunlight the way it was the pictures do not do her justice.

Old 05-15-2009 | 09:53 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
So exciting.

CONGRATS, and HAPPY MOTORING!!!

Old 05-15-2009 | 10:17 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
So exciting.

CONGRATS, and HAPPY MOTORING!!!
Thanks Lady!

My wife is very happy (and I am REALLY HAPPY)....

I have a saying that I use that has served me well in our 16 years of marriage:

"HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!"

I just hope she lets me drive it once and a while....

Old 05-16-2009 | 03:04 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Good for you Mike and wife! Looking forward to your updated pix on Monday, if you can stop driving.

Old 05-16-2009 | 05:27 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Holy Moly Batman - I count 10+ Clubman in the picture! How many Clubman were actually there? Do you know how many were pre orders?
Makes me kinda worried when I see that many sitting around, could effect resale and uniqueness..

Old 05-16-2009 | 07:16 AM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
There are 12 (now 11 ) on the lot for Clubman S and 12 for the JustaClubman....so 23. Not sure how many are pre orders, however, our dealership is almost 500 miles away from the next closest one.

Old 05-16-2009 | 08:05 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
CONGRATS!!! she sure is pretty.. Saw the Horizon blue in my dealership thursday...the color is beautiful...pics don't do it justice!

Welcome to the family!!!

Old 05-16-2009 | 06:13 PM
Dogstruck
1st Gear
Congrats on the new arrival! Now that my tween has become a teen, we're rapidly outgrowing our regular Cooper and in the market for a Clubman. After skulking about our local dealer's lot for several months and not really finding what we want, we're on the brink of ordering one. We've settled on Horizon Blue/Silver and will definitely be getting the roof rails!

Congrats again!

Jay
Richmond, Va.

Old 05-16-2009 | 07:11 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Dogstruck, excellent choice! I am here in Richmond too and will probably be getting the same combo, only JCW version

Old 05-17-2009 | 08:28 AM
Dogstruck
1st Gear
Hey minicoopermike!

Imagine that: from (presumably) no Horizon Blue/Silver Clubmans in central Virginia to maybe two of them in 2009! Perhaps we can start our own Horizon Blue Clubman mini-chapter and hook up with OLarryR in northern Virginia for regional meetings.

When do you think you'll place your order? I think we might order ours later this week. Did you order your '06 from Crown? We bought our '07 off the lot, but will probably try to sell it ourselves once we have a good idea of when the Clubman will be delivered (we weren't impressed by the trade-in Crown offered us during one of our visits).

Best,
Jay

Old 05-17-2009 | 10:17 AM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Driveway!

Hi Everyone!

Well she is in the driveway and will be getting a space in the garage here today!

HOLY CRAP this car is fun to drive! I am 10000000% sure that the stick was the way to go! I am happy that we did not get the automatic because this is just too much fun with the stick!

I was unsure on the "hill assist" feature that the car has but let me tell you MINI really did a great job with that. I personally have driven manuals since getting my drivers license 25 or so years ago so it is second nature to me. However, my wife has been driving manuals for only 16 years and for the past 8 she has had an automatic for her car. The hill assist is truly a blessing! I was skeptical at first but it really does work well! Just another little nicety tossed in!

I will be detailing her up a bit this afternoon....theraputic for me and I am a bit OCD on new cars.....LOL.....

Anyhow glad to finally be an "owner" now and not having to go through the "labor and delivery" process with ordering. Like I mentioned before in other threads, the ONLY thing missing on ours is the rear fog lamp but since it is my wife's car and she could care less about it its all good!

Take Care Everyone! It's off to give her a bath!

NOTE: One thing that had us and the dealer a bit confused was the lack of an "S" badge on the back. They have a call into corporate because they have never seen this before. They will be rebadging it shortly with the beloved "S" on the back.

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:03 AM
bradw
2nd Gear
WOW, she looks great! Congratulations!

The Horizon Blue looks fantastic. Have fun driving her and POST MORE PICTURES! It's another 12 days before mine gets off the boat here in California - I will live vicariously through you until then!

Brad

Old 05-18-2009 | 07:23 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Mike - the Horizon Blue color looks fantastic!! Congratulations on taking delivery and beginning your MINI life!

Nice lighting as it really shows off the color nicely. I think it is my favorite color yet.

Old 05-18-2009 | 07:27 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Brad,

You will love it when it arrives! Tinting was done today as well as the placement of the "S" on the back. I will have to take it back in a few days as they only applied the "S" where the COOPER logo was....essentially the whole thing "COOPER S" needs to be moved to the left about 2 inches as there is only 1/2" from the right side of the "S" to the edge of the door frame. That is the only complaint for now.

As far as the tint goes....I did not get to drive it back, my wife did and she had a non "S" model as a loaner with the leatherette. She was SOOOO happy on the choice of the cloth vs leather vs leatherette....much "cooler" in the desert heat. The MINI loaner she was driving was a stick and did not have tint. She kept raving about the tint job making things that much cooler inside...we went 35% all around and 20% on the pano roof. My wife was really happy we elected to go with the "S" as well. Even though the loaner was not a clubbie, she commented on how much "quicker" the Clubbie S was as opposed to the non-S model.

Needless to say......"HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!"

We are having thunderstorms right now so I will try to take some pictures tomorrow afternoon in the daylight and post them up.

Old 05-19-2009 | 09:51 AM
Buzzbcooper
1st Gear
Hi

Welcome to the Horizon Blue Club! "Clubby" (original name eh?) replaced my Liquid Yellow 06, Mini Cooper, I got mine three weeks ago. It's taking a little getting used to seeing that "split" rear window and besides some annoying sunroof noise, a temperamental computer that keeps showing the tire symbol vs. mileage, all the little odds and ends that I'm sure my dealer will take care of when I take him in on Thursday. He's going to get the British Flag and British Flag scuttles placed on him and clear bumper cover at that time as well. Then he'll be truly good to go.

Welcome to the "Club". Happy motoring from the North Coast of Ohio!

New Clubman is 2009 Horizon Blue, Silver C-Pillars, Silver stripes
Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg, Cloth, Antracite Chrome, Fogs, Union Jack on Roof & scuttles

Old 05-19-2009 | 03:23 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
I know what you mean on the "Split" rear window. I drive fast (admittedly) and hate the fact that the center of the rearview is taken up with that. With that stated, I will get used to it. Just have to adjust my crosscheck with it. No other issues though. I have only driven it personally for about 100 miles. The wife has had it the rest of the time. I do love the "clubbie" though...my wife won't name her but I think that may stick....LOL.....can't get over just how much fun this thing is to drive!!!!!

Old 05-19-2009 | 08:30 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
It's great to revisit this stage of MINI motoring again. A little over a year ago, my (Justa)Clubman was brand new. It was close to my original order, and it was 3 months sooner, so I bought it off the lot. Since then, I've totally fallen for Hot Chocolate, and had come to think of it as the best. But now, seeing this Horizon Blue, in the flesh, I'm ... looking forward to a new configuration collection already; and this time, an S! Not sure between silver or black top,or even body color. Anybody have that yet?
Thanks for the most enjoyable postings, and for more Mini perspectives.
A year later, I've never loved mine more. Hardly an issue with it, 30 mpg, fun to go anywhere. I'm always playing with the gears; the 6-speed Gertrag has so may ways to shift, delightfully confusing. (Dr., Man.1,M2, etc, Sport Mode, the Paddles, & many combinations there-of).
I know you'll enjoy your Horizon Clubman. It's a beauty!

Old 05-21-2009 | 08:17 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bradw
WOW, she looks great! Congratulations!

The Horizon Blue looks fantastic. Have fun driving her and POST MORE PICTURES! It's another 12 days before mine gets off the boat here in California - I will live vicariously through you until then!

Brad
Brad,

Pictures to follow.....we had some rain here and also had to get her tinted up. We have company coming in for the weekend and my wife is "graciously" allowing me to do a bit of detailing tomorrow. This means that I can drive her in the morning while she is at work and I have a doctor's appt at 8:00am!!!

Anyhow here are a few pics for all you Horizon Blue lovers out there......

Again, please excuse my photography skills....Some day I will take a class at the University and learn the in's and out's of digital photography. Until then its experiment time.

To all of you that have posted in this thread....THANKS! Even though it is my wife's baby, I am treating her as my own....because my wife is kind enough to let me drive the thing!!!!! An added benefit of purchasing this Clubbie was that it got me to reorganize and clean out the garages. Something that was long overdue. I will be having a total knee replacement at the end of June and this is something that really needed to be done! I cannot allow my wife's baby to be outside. Too bad that I won't be able to drive her after 30 June for about 2-3 months because it is a manual and I will not be able to operate the clutch ....oh well...might as well enjoy it while I have the chance!

I also cannot believe the size of this thing. It is much smaller than my 2005.5 Jetta TDI and it really makes the garage appear that much bigger!

Take care and Brad, I hope you enjoy the pics!!!!! The tint job was done very well and we could have opened the windows today but I will save that for the weekend! (the tint place stated that it needed to be in the sun for a couple of days and that we could not open the windows until the adhesive all firmed up....48 hours...so 96 hours is plenty!)

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:05 AM
bradw
2nd Gear
Mike,

The pics are awesome, thanks. The tinting job looks really good.

Enjoy driving it while you can - hope your surgery goes well!

Brad

Old 05-23-2009 | 03:09 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Thanks Brad! No worries at all on posting the pics! Thanks too for the well-wishes....not looking forward to the surgery but it has to be done.

Getting close for you on your delivery!!!!! You will have fun with it when it gets here!

Mike

Old 05-23-2009 | 03:40 PM
Riffster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/mike1968nm/IMG_2222.jpg

I noticed that you ur clubby didnt come with the xenon headlights... do you think if you had the choice you would of opted for them? Just a wondering! Cuz im debating if i order my MINI if i should go for the xenons.

Old 05-23-2009 | 06:35 PM
Mike1968NM
|
3rd Gear
Riffster,

I have no issues with the halogens vice the Xenons. All in all very happy with our choice. Had we ordered our's we would NOT have gone with the Xenons. What we would have gone with is the rear fog.

Mike

Old 05-24-2009 | 09:10 AM
Dogstruck
1st Gear
We went to our local dealer yesterday with the intention of ordering the Horizon Blue/Silver Clubman we had spec'd-out. Although their inventory has been rather thick for a few months, it included only three Clubmen with our requisite roof rails. Two of these had automatics, narrowing our in-stock options to a lone Astro Black JustaClubman we had seen there about a month ago. It was optioned out with the Premium package and some interior trim items we would not have ordered ourselves and lacked the Cold Weather package, Xenon headlights, and some other items we would have preferred.

Our MA checked the computer and found a Horizon Blue/Silver JustaClubman equipped similarly to what we wanted. It had just been built and was still at the factory in Oxford. He said he probably could have had it for us in about three weeks and also told us we could probably order one and have it delivered around the end of July. However, it became pretty obvious to us that the dealer might be willing to cut us a pretty nice deal on the Astro Black car they had in stock.

The now-discontinued Astro Black is a color we really like (its bluish tint reminds us of a wonderful Mercedes-Benz wagon we had years ago that got totaled) and the interior on this particular car has a striking combination of the Cream White color line and Piano Black interior surfaces. After a test drive, we started to give it serious consideration while still expressing interest in the Horizon Blue car at the factory. As it turned out, the dealer ended up making us a pretty good deal on the Astro Black one, we got the 1.9 percent MINI financing, and we brought the car home last night.

All of this to say that, unfortunately, we won't be joining the Horizon Blue club after all. In case you're interested, I took some photos of the new car early this morning and posted them in my gallery. We'll be taking it back to the dealer soon to have silver sport stripes added to the front and rear and I'll try to post better photos soon. Meanwhile, I guess it's time to seek out the Astro Black club and try not to obsess over whether that HB Clubby back in Oxford was the one that got away.

Old 05-24-2009 | 11:21 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dogstruck
We went to our local dealer yesterday with the intention of ordering the Horizon Blue/Silver Clubman we had spec'd-out. Although their inventory has been rather thick for a few months, it included only three Clubmen with our requisite roof rails. Two of these had automatics, narrowing our in-stock options to a lone Astro Black JustaClubman we had seen there about a month ago. It was optioned out with the Premium package and some interior trim items we would not have ordered ourselves and lacked the Cold Weather package, Xenon headlights, and some other items we would have preferred.

Our MA checked the computer and found a Horizon Blue/Silver JustaClubman equipped similarly to what we wanted. It had just been built and was still at the factory in Oxford. He said he probably could have had it for us in about three weeks and also told us we could probably order one and have it delivered around the end of July. However, it became pretty obvious to us that the dealer might be willing to cut us a pretty nice deal on the Astro Black car they had in stock.

The now-discontinued Astro Black is a color we really like (its bluish tint reminds us of a wonderful Mercedes-Benz wagon we had years ago that got totaled) and the interior on this particular car has a striking combination of the Cream White color line and Piano Black interior surfaces. After a test drive, we started to give it serious consideration while still expressing interest in the Horizon Blue car at the factory. As it turned out, the dealer ended up making us a pretty good deal on the Astro Black one, we got the 1.9 percent MINI financing, and we brought the car home last night.

All of this to say that, unfortunately, we won't be joining the Horizon Blue club after all. In case you're interested, I took some photos of the new car early this morning and posted them in my gallery. We'll be taking it back to the dealer soon to have silver sport stripes added to the front and rear and I'll try to post better photos soon. Meanwhile, I guess it's time to seek out the Astro Black club and try not to obsess over whether that HB Clubby back in Oxford was the one that got away.
Congratulations, sweet! My current MINI is Astro Black/Silver. It is a beautiful color, but a little dark for me so that is why I want to move a lighter down the scale to Horizon Blue.

Is Steve your MA? I purchased my MINI (3rd) from him and my first MINI directly from Young.

Old 05-24-2009 | 11:47 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Dogstruck,
That is one nice looking MINI! I love the interior, too. I also bought off the lot, a year ago, and have learned to love my 'new' color. There are lots of advantages to doing that. One of them is that you have it now. You'll need to keep the dark color clean, so tune into the Prima products on the detailing forums. I keep my Hot Chocolate clean with lots of spray washing, & Hydro, & Slick and the like. But dark and clean looks great.
Do you know the joke from Father Ted (TV series) about the priests' socks that weren't actually black, as they were supposed to be, but very very very very very dark blue. Just like you car!

Quick Reply: R55 Yet another 2009 Clubman S Owner! Horizon Blue!